Entries JGP Brisbane | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Entries JGP Brisbane

gmyers

Record Breaker
Brown's been trying them throughout the summer (Milwaukee, Glacier Falls, Northern Blast) but hasn't had one called as clean yet, which is why he's not trying it in Brisbane.

The first thought was "what's so important about Brisbane!" But he wants to win here and I guess so no room for 3A attempts so he can get to the jr GPF. He's just kind of screaming Rippon.

mskater93

Record Breaker
^^^^
I understand what you are saying, but don't forget that Brown is also Ade's first successful high level skater, so she's probably being cautious with what he puts out in competition because some skaters have gotten bad rep for under rotations based on 1 or 2 competitions. Then tech panels get a thought in the back of their mind that skater X under rotates Jump A when it was something they were putting it out without having command of the element yet and Jump A gets a lot of scrutiny (and not always rightly so).

Of course, you can't please everyone. If Brown put out a badly under rotated 3A that he fell on, people would be all over his case about what a bad decision he made for doing that. `:rolleye:

feraina

Record Breaker
The first thought was "what's so important about Brisbane!" But he wants to win here and I guess so no room for 3A attempts so he can get to the jr GPF. He's just kind of screaming Rippon.

Jason's been practicing the 3A in Brisbane, and now that he has a decent lead heading into the FS, I suppose we might see it in the FS!

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
I have to admit that Jason Brown is rapidly emerging into the I/K levels of internet hype for me, so unless his skating changes the world...... That stated, gmyers, Brown needs to do well here to earn a second JGP spot, so being conservative is fine.

I'm fine with Tanaka being ahead of Firus. Nothing Firus did was special enough to earn the GOEs to overcome the difference in jump content.

colleen o'neill

Medalist
( Later that night...)

And we seem to have a horse race..1.60 between 1st and 3rd. Bears re-watching in the morning.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
And that with Zenkova/Sinitsin getting a deduction for an extended lift, so yes, very, very close. I have only watched the top 3 so far, but I haven't really loved any of the programs. Williams seems to be deliberately trying to look like Charlie White, though, hair and all.

The acoustics/music recording/synching whatever is so bad that it's difficult to be fair to any of these programs.

1 Lauri BONACORSI / Travis MAGER USA 52.49 28.90 23.59 5.95 5.60 6.05 5.90 5.95 0.00 #5
2 Valeria ZENKOVA / Valerie SINITSIN RUS 51.23 29.40 22.83 5.90 5.55 5.65 5.70 5.70 1.00 #3
3 Nicole ORFORD / Thomas WILLIAMS CAN 50.89 27.70 23.19 5.95 5.65 5.90 5.80 5.70 0.00 #1
4 Valeria LOSEVA / Denis LUNIN RUS 44.89 22.20 22.69 5.75 5.40 5.75 5.60 5.80 0.00 #9
5 Madeline HERITAGE / Nathaniel FAST USA 42.63 22.80 19.83 5.15 4.85 4.95 5.05 4.80 0.00 #2
6 Sarah COWARD / Avidan BROWN GBR 39.03 22.80 17.23 4.40 4.15 4.30 4.55 4.15 1.00 #7
7 Sara AGHAI / Jussiville PARTANEN FIN 37.34 19.50 17.84 4.60 4.30 4.45 4.60 4.35 0.00 #8
8 Ayesha YIGIT / Shane SPEDEN NZL 28.35 15.70 12.65 3.30 3.05 3.05 3.35 3.05 0.00 #6
9 Natalia JANCOSEK / Petr SEKNICKA SVK 27.86 16.08 11.78 3.10 2.90 2.75 3.05 2.90 0.00 #4

oleada

Record Breaker
Me either. None of the programs stand out.

That said, I'm shocked that Zenkova/Sinitsin got lower GOE in their twizzles than Bonacorsi/Mager. The latter were practically doing two different things! I'd have had them behind the Canadians and the Russians...not my much, but still behind.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Anyone else feel Risa wuzrobbed of gold here? Her FS was just like wow, gorgeous. And Courtney's was exciting and she has some huge jumps, but she fell twice while Risa didn't fall at all. And i'm scratching my head over how Courtney's PCS were higher than everyone else's, I would have had Risa and Polina K. 1 and 2 in PCS, and Courtney below Lam in PCS too. But I don't know, maybe Courtney's one of those skater's you need to see live to appreciate or something. Overall a well-skated event, congrats to the medalists!

FlattFan

Match Penalty
Vanessa Lam
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=he_OED-MWYg

Level 4 step sequence in both SP and LP. Very impressive.
Level 4 on all but 1 spin.
I'm not sure about the program. It looks like her coaches just put a bunch of good spins, steps, and a few jumps here and there, and some transitions in the middle. She milked every points in her non-jump elements. I like that she went for 2 flips and 2 flutzes. Maybe take out the second flutz and add a loop in the future.

http://www.isuresults.com/results/jgpaus2011/jgpaus2011_JuniorLadies_FS_Scores.pdf

Judge #5 hated her guts. Gave her a -3 GOE on her triple toe. And later a -3 GOE on her triple flip. ***.

Last edited:

Lucky Star

Final Flight
Anyone else feel Risa wuzrobbed of gold here? Her FS was just like wow, gorgeous. And Courtney's was exciting and she has some huge jumps, but she fell twice while Risa didn't fall at all. And i'm scratching my head over how Courtney's PCS were higher than everyone else's, I would have had Risa and Polina K. 1 and 2 in PCS, and Courtney below Lam in PCS too. But I don't know, maybe Courtney's one of those skater's you need to see live to appreciate or something. Overall a well-skated event, congrats to the medalists!
I don't know, I think the tech caller today wasn't strict, Risa got credit for almost all of her jumps, but there were underrotations for sure, and girls who got < for some of their jumps were lucky because those jumps deserved <<, not to mention level 4 for steps which is rare even for seniors.
ITA about Hicks's PCS. Her presentation isn't even near the level of Shoji and Korobeinikova, and she should be far below Lam and even Hae-Jin Kim whose FS was a total disaster in this aspect

colleen o'neill

Medalist
I'm behind in my watching.To go back to the SD for a minute..

The sound is so awful , it's sometimes hard to tell whether the skaters are even in time or not. I thought O/W's SD looked somehow sharper at BCSS, but how much of that is due to better lighting, different camera angle and better sound at that event , I don't know....B/M's twizzles were a mess, and there seems to be a lot of Linichuk posing in their program. I like the look of them as a couple ,but think I was much more impressed with Aldridge and Eaton ,last week in Riga (;) that sounds like a movie title ).

I'd like O/W to find a prettier position for that first lift..looks a bit like hanging on for dear life..but Doris,please don't open the floodgates with Thomas' hair :laugh: That was the first thing anyone commented on when O/W came on the scene last year ( I'm imagining the endless discussions comparing his hair and Charlie's.. who highlights, who doesn't, and whether Thomas should go much shorter..whether it suits him or not , or should he get out the ironing board..:laugh: Could mean a special trip to the wine store for me. )

I watched Zenkova / Sinitsin's FD from the Russian test skates ( Gayane suite), and thought it looked pretty good..I'm very curious to see O/W's Gone With the Wind , and B/M's ..( do we know what it is ?..got to check doris' list ).. I don't know what to expect ;I'm not a Linichuk fan, but whatever the program is, it will come down to how well they skate.

Last edited:

NMURA

Medalist
I think the TS was rather lenient to Shoji. Her +3T in the SP was more deserving to be called 3T<<. The lutz and the loop in the FS was UR but ratified. It's lucky for her to hang on to 2nd place.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States

Checking out the protocols:

Courtney fell twice, but the 3F in combination and solo 3Lo were not underrotated; only the 3Lo in combination

As a result, her base score was 55.45, and her total element score was 55.05. All of her non jump elements were level 4. She did get an edge call on the flutz.

Risa's solo 3S and solo 3F were both judged underrotated, and the 3F got an edge call as a lip, too. One of her spins was level 3 and her steps were level 3.

So her base score was 51.13. And her Element score was 52.55.

So that's how Courtney beat her. The falls only cost here -3 in GOE and -1 for the fall each.

Courtney is a very fast skater and a fast spinner and that will cause her PCS to be a bit higher than if she were slower, too.

At least that would be my guess.

gmyers

Record Breaker
Me either. None of the programs stand out.

That said, I'm shocked that Zenkova/Sinitsin got lower GOE in their twizzles than Bonacorsi/Mager. The latter were practically doing two different things! I'd have had them behind the Canadians and the Russians...not my much, but still behind.

Bonacorsi's twizzles were the worst in comparison to her partner. He's twizzling like Charlie White and she's like Frederica Fiella last seaon or someone. You have never seen such awful positions in twizzles.

Hicks program was huge and ambitous and I loved it. She was doing a 3/3 at the halfway point (attempt) and never lost attack for a second. Then her HIcks spin where she drops suddenly was great.

skfan

Final Flight

yeah. hicks' jumps were bigger and the successful ones had better run out, but i still think shoji should have had higher PCS in the FS at least. if hicks had the jumps or skating skills of chan i could understand winning the FS with splats, but this... unrefined stroking, presentation, posture... choppy program with choppy musical cut... she's the anti-chan.

of course, i'm biased, because i prefer skaters who pay attention to posture and have a certain control, balance and refinement to their skating. hicks just looks like she's racing from one end of the rink to the other.

Last edited:

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
First group done. I started watching the Slovakians but figured out that it might be best to let them improve beforehand. The total scores are less than the top seniors are getting for the SD for the bottom two teams.