The greatest free skates in ladies' figure skating | Page 4 | Golden Skate

The greatest free skates in ladies' figure skating

Lightbulb

Rinkside
There's a great shot of the audience at the end of her LP - someone (not Orser) is by the rink absolutely leaping for joy - fist pumping, arms akimbo, overflowing with excitement. We often complain about Hamilton/Bezic's commentary, but how can you not smile a little at their enthusiasm.

That person leaping for joy like there's no tomorrow was Yuna's personal trainer who has been with her since 2008, I think. I understand he left his family in South Korea to stay full-time with Yuna in Canada. He would travel with Yuna to every single competition. Besides Orser and David Wilson, I think he's the other person who knows how great Yuna can be. And I can just imagine what was going through his mind while Yuna was nailing each and every element in that long program. I felt he was so proud of Yuna at that time, and he was so excited for her because she realized fully the greatness that she is capable of.

clairecloutier

Final Flight
I would add my two favorite long programs from Kristi Yamaguchi:

1991 Worlds Long Program
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qW8wmbKiI0

Although Kristi is better known for winning the 1992 Olympics, I'd argue this was her most satisfying victory. She came into 1991 Worlds as a distinct underdog to Tonya Harding and Midori Ito. All the talk that year was the triple axel, triple axel. Ito and Harding had it and Kristi didn't. No one thought she could win Worlds without it. But she did, with this great long program (which might actually hold up well in terms of jumps even these days, if not in footwork/transitions). Kristi actually screamed with joy afterward in the kiss 'n cry when the marks came up and showed she had won. That was the most emotion we ever saw out of usually calm and controlled Kristi!

1992 Nationals Long Program
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJNs1esR0_Y

The Olympic Trials in 1992; all 3 reigning World medalists in the competition. Talk about pressure. Kristi had to skate first in the long program. She came out and did not hesitate. She nailed her program with 7 triples; technically, it was probably the best and most complete long program of her career, and actually much better than her long program at the Olympics a month later.

Hanaka

Rinkside
Ooops! I totally forgot to mention this. Silly me!:bang:

This is the first program in history where a woman landed 2 3A (one is a combination 3A-2T) in one program and got ratified. I don't know how many years it will take another lady to show up and break this record (maybe one of those Russian girls?) but I think it can fall into this category.

Mao Asada 2008GPF FP
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOG1guT7o0w&feature=related

And this is the first program in Olympic history where a woman landed 2 3A (one is combo) in one program and got ratified.

Mao Asada 2010Olympics FP
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5y5mcxHe9Qc

This is another historic one. 2 3A attepted and landed in one program by a woman for the first time. (But one was not ratified.) Or was there someone else who landed 2 3A in one program at ISU competition before her? If so, could someone please enlighten me? Not only that, there is a magnificent step sequence and exqusite spins and spirals as always. There's a little cute mistake in the final spin. :laugh:

Mao Asadsa 2008NHK Trophy FP
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwgyJz-le1w

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
It is good we have threads like this, because it just to show there are so many gems all offer different things for different people to appreciate. Each are so very valuable and special in their own way.

It is likely if you are a fan of a particular skater, or style, their greatest performance is likely to be the greatest to you and here would be the perfect place to share them.

As far as the real world is concerned however, the 'greatest' performance is likely to be the one that has won the biggest championship, smashed all the world records, being repeated replayed on youtube, and mentioned the most by the world press in multiple languages. It should have rippling effect include attract new fans to the sport, and set new bars in figure skating to be savored and appreciated in the many years to come.

For that, I think the Olympics 2010 performance by Yuna Kim is just a stunning lifetime achievement. She did it when it matters the most, and do it in the best possible skating evenings by all the top 12 ladies is just stunning. Everyone was clearly inspired by the occasion, the competition, the pride of representing their nation, they practically all put on their life time best. It is such an unprecedented level of excellence for figure skating. You couldn't ask for more.

Yeah, it's so rare that stuff comes together like that. The only other one I can think of in singles skating, in modern times at least, is Boitano's 1988 skate in Calgary. Maybe Yagudin in 2002. In many Olympics, the best skater of the time wins the gold, but not with his or her best program. (For example, Scott Hamilton in 1984.) In Vancouver, not only did YuNa win, with that amazing program, but everyone else in the lineup also skated spectacularly. So the audience won as well, because this was a night of unparalleled skating.

reynycpr

On the Ice
1992 Nationals Long Program
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJNs1esR0_Y

The Olympic Trials in 1992; all 3 reigning World medalists in the competition. Talk about pressure. Kristi had to skate first in the long program. She came out and did not hesitate. She nailed her program with 7 triples; technically, it was probably the best and most complete long program of her career, and actually much better than her long program at the Olympics a month later.

Definitely one of my favorites... Especially because she was able to land that dreaded 3Sal; which made the performance even better!

Vash01

Medalist
ITA on all points. I think history will do this skate justice sooner or later. The standard of skating Mao exhibited in this program, when all the technical and artistic aspects are considered as a whole, will be unmatched for many years to come. I believe one day people will look back on this performance and exclaim, "How could this skate not have won the FS? The judging system in place in 2010 must have been really stupid!"

ITA. She was placed far behind Kim in the SP, inspite of a very good skate. The judges had predetermined the OGM winner. I am not saying Kim did not deserve to win, but that was based on the rules in 2010. To be honest, they both had extraordinary performances in both SP and LP. My only gripe is that Mao's historical performance did not get the recognition it deserved.

prettykeys

Medalist
ITA. She was placed far behind Kim in the SP, inspite of a very good skate. The judges had predetermined the OGM winner. I am not saying Kim did not deserve to win, but that was based on the rules in 2010. To be honest, they both had extraordinary performances in both SP and LP. My only gripe is that Mao's historical performance did not get the recognition it deserved.
Uhhh...

1) feraina was talking about Mao's 2010 Worlds version of Bells of Moscow, not the Olympic one.
2) :rolleye: @ the conspiracy theory of a "predetermined" OGMist.
3) What??? YuNa won the 2010 OGM based on the rules in 2010? How outrageous!
4) Perhaps one should ask why no one cared about or recognized the "historical performance" as much as it "deserved". I have my own hunches as to why, but I wonder what people like you imagine the reasons to be.

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker

I cannot agree with this statement for two simple reasons

1. ISU had a lot more to gain with Mao winning the OGM. Japan has been carrying this sport for the past few years with its rabid fan base and breakout stars. Mao also had the second best story of the Ladies that season... The Chosen One from strong federation had struggled, was competing with two "controversial" programs designed by a legend, blah blah blah... the headlines wrote themselves. Beautiful & talented as she is, Yuna would not have been able to compete with that a decade ago and you're naive if you think she could.

2. OGM are not awarded based on historic performance. They are awarded based on total package delivered on ice. This coming from a Kwan fan who still suffers to this day that a wack triple / triple kept the Kween off the top step in '98.

miki88

Medalist
2. OGM are not awarded based on historic performance. They are awarded based on total package delivered on ice. This coming from a Kwan fan who still suffers to this day that a wack triple / triple kept the Kween off the top step in '98.

I'm not understanding what you're saying here. Are you saying that Michelle didn't deliver the "total package" on the ice at the '98 Olympics because she didn't do a triple-triple combo? If that's the case, then I can't agree. In my opinion, Tara's performance probably gathered more excitement from the judges because she was the first to land a 3loop-3loop combo at the Olympics.

Bartek

On the Ice
I'm not understanding what you're saying here. Are you saying that Michelle didn't deliver the "total package" on the ice at the '98 Olympics because she didn't do a triple-triple combo? If that's the case, then I can't agree. In my opinion, Tara's performance probably gathered more excitement from the judges because she was the first to land a 3loop-3loop combo at the Olympics.

I think Michelle's skate wasn't the total package when compared to Tara's one with the triple-triple. I mean, we have two performances, both with seven triples, good spirals and spins. One of them, on top of that, has very difficult triple-triple, the other one does not. Tara had total package, Michelle did not.

evangeline

Record Breaker
I think Michelle's skate wasn't the total package when compared to Tara's one with the triple-triple. I mean, we have two performances, both with seven triples, good spirals and spins. One of them, on top of that, has very difficult triple-triple, the other one does not. Tara had total package, Michelle did not.

Obviously your idea of "total package" is different than mine. Because in my opinion, Michelle's superior skating skills, artistry and choreography made her the total package much more than Tara ever was.

At Nagano, I will concede that Tara PERFORMED better than Michelle, and, under duress, may even admit that this may perhaps be valid justification for Tara's gold. But in terms of overall total package? Aside from the lack of a triple-triple, Michelle's skating beats out Tara's in practically every single category.

You know I agree with you, Evangeline!

I don't begrudge Tara her gold, but in terms of complexity, musicality, and flow, I have to go with Michelle, on that day and most others.

krenseby

Final Flight
But in terms of overall total package? Aside from the lack of a triple-triple, Michelle's skating beats out Tara's in practically every single category.

And I would have loved for Tara to have competed longer than she had, just so that she could transition from being an exciting young skater to someone whose skating was mature and sophisticated. Although many people on here adore Kwan, and rightly so, Tara's skating talents are not to be overlooked, even if she hadn't perfected them by the time she came to skate at the 1998 Olympics.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
And I would have loved for Tara to have competed longer than she had, just so that she could transition from being an exciting young skater to someone whose skating was mature and sophisticated. Although many people on here adore Kwan, and rightly so, Tara's skating talents are not to be overlooked, even if she hadn't perfected them by the time she came to skate at the 1998 Olympics.

Plus Kwan improved a lot after 1998. The Kwan at 2001 Worlds would have creamed the Kwan in 1998. Like others have suggested, Kwan skated many programs over the years that were heads and shoulders above anything Lipinski ever did. But I did think the result in Nagano were correct; Lipinski skated better than she ever had, and Kwan was very solid but conservative.