Entries JGP Brasov | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Entries JGP Brasov

skfan

Final Flight
Almost knock-off of Mirai's LP last year, including the troubled music cuts?

(From JGP Brasov right now)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3jZNCYfGzo&feature=player_embedded

Two big bombs from two of the most inconsistent Japanese ladies (Nishino and Fujisawa) :cry:

i don't know. i thought nishino and fujisawa were wayyyyyy better than ashley cain. watching cain laboring to pump her hips, hunching over to rush across the rink only to fall and eek out landings... *sigh* that looked desperate, more painful to watch than some of the other skaters' splat-filled performances.

now, i would have been much happier to see leah keiser instead of cain, so of course i'm biased :) but if there's anybody who looks like she doesn't belong with the others, it's cain, not the two japanese ladies.

speaking of knock-offs of mirai's... anyone else thought the pink and black number on (somebody whose skating i've already forgotten) looked like a different color version of mirai's pirates of the caribbean short program dress? i do love the JGP on youtube though. ^_^

ETA i realize that i sound mean. it's because i actually saw elegance in ashley cain's skate from her 1st JGP and was thinking, here's my chance to admire somebody who still cares about posture and refinement and such out-dated ideals in the age of COP, only to be appalled by this posture and stroking in the JGP Brasov long program. and it didn't even pay off in successful jumps!

seeing ashley like this is just sad. where did the elegant ashley of just a couple weeks ago disappear to? it must be so exhausting training both pairs and singles though, i apologize to any ashley cain fan who took offense.

i am fine with the USFS's policy of sending people based on nationals, i am one of those old fogeys who thinks it's more fair and transparent that way, since that's the only time all the contenders face off against each other judged by the same panel, so i wasn't expecting to see see keiser anyway. i understand that among juniors things change quickly and this maynot result in the best-shots-at-getting-medals getting slots. that is fine with me because i value transparency and fairness above # of medals collected (even if this means fewer JGP slots in the future).

Last edited:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I did not understand why USFS chose to send Cain to this event rather than a deserving up-and-comer. Sorry, but Daniels didn't deserve a slot either, based on so-so performances over the summer----she was lucky to crack top 10.

In dance, the silver and bronze medals are up for grabs, as there is only a 1.91 point spread between 2nd and 6th.

skfan

Final Flight
I did not understand why USFS chose to send Cain to this event rather than a deserving up-and-comer. Sorry, but Daniels didn't deserve a slot either, based on so-so performances over the summer----she was lucky to crack top 10.

In dance, the silver and bronze medals are up for grabs, as there is only a 1.91 point spread between 2nd and 6th.

did the USFS get excited over Cain's PCS? then again someone on FSU said Cain only got this slot because Siraj turned it down.

burntBREAD

Medalist
I haven't actually watched Cain's skates but let it be known that I really like Nishino and Fujisawa, particularly because they were former phenoms (in 2007 and 2008 respectively) who haven't been able to match their old success (and are painstakingly inconsistent), so I always cheer for them!

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
Congrats to the Korean Skaters

A nice outing at Brasov. Hae-Jin Kim's Ladies' Bronze, and Dong-Won Lee's 5th place where the difference between places 3-6 was a tight race. DWL's FS had no edge calls or UR's, and only a single -1 GOE from a single judge, and if he'd tripled his loop as planned, probably would have had that Men's Bronze.

Last edited:

oleada

Record Breaker
A lot of junior skaters take ideas from more recognized, senior skaters....it happens.

I really enjoyed the FDs of both Stepanova/Bukin and Bent/McKeen. S/B were fast and fluid and had some cool moves to different music, and the Canadians were very cute (though as of now lacking the power/coverage of S/B, which is understandable). I'd have them in second over the Ukrainians.

Last edited:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Does anyone know who coaches Bent/McKeen-

They are new to me, and their ISU bio is a complete blank.

geoskate

On the Ice
Yes, you are correct. Good guess.

Stepanova/Bukin are my new favourite Russian junior ice dance team. Speed, power, interesting choreoraphy, nice lines - what's not to like?

Is he related to the world champion ice dancer from the 1980s?

oleada

Record Breaker
Stepanova/Bukin got really low levels in this dance (the caller in this competition seemed quite strict overall), so when they up those, they should be competitive with Sinitsina/Zhingashin. Based on what with seen so far, they're the top two junior teams this year.

DianaSelene

Medalist
I didn't really like S/B's programs. S/Z are better but we'll see how they'll both be scored in the grand prix final.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
It is a sad day when you can correctly guess the coach of a team based on their posture faults.

colleen o'neill

Medalist
:disapp: doris..I agree. However I also agree with NorthernDancers ( I think it was) who said that the problems are not as marked , or noticable as in some other pairs from this school. She looks to have had extra outside dance training..maybe . I see the usual back problems in both..but not the marked shoulder problem with her.

Last edited:

CdnSkateWatcher

On the Ice
Does anyone know who coaches Bent/McKeen-

They are new to me, and their ISU bio is a complete blank.

Garrett and Mackenzie are Ice Dance Elite trained; they've been there since they started competitive icedancing, i.e. out of test track. Garrett's mother is a skating coach herself. The two of them have been skating together for several years, since 2004 I believe. He's 17 this year, she's 14 IIRC (I know less of her than I do of him).

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Congratulations to 13 year old Nam Nguyen for his Bronze, his first international medal on secong outing! I'm so glad he proved me right in backing him when his eligibility for this event was questioned when he underperformed at his JGP debut.

You go boy!