Assignments JGP Milano | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Assignments JGP Milano

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker
Her tech score may be 20 points lower, but Hannah Miller's PCS are only 4 points less than Julia's. With that skate, she's in second with one skate left, meaning she will definitely medal in her first JGP ever (gee, where have we seen someone medal in their first competition and not have another, before?) and forces Satoko Miyahara to 4th at best, possibly missing the JGPF (depending on how Hicks' withdrawal affects things)

oleada

Record Breaker
Anna Shershak takes the silver! I didn't expect her to be able to hold on. Her tech is not high, but extremely well done. I'm so happy for Volchkova - she's doing a great job with her skaters.

Miyahara now likely out of the JGPF.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Julia is a phenom. Let's hope her talents grow with her body instead of being hindered by it.

Re nitpicking her flexibility moves, I'm more concerned about Brown and Hanyu doing the same, much less prettily and more liable to losing them or getting ugly as they grow into adulthood. No other men have been able to parlay their flexibility into unique wonderful moves like Shawn Sawyer.

As well, Brown's and Hanyu's skating still look juniorish in spite of their talents. Their programs are a bit contrived and they rush around doing tricks. Han Yan has solide skills and a quiet elegence, very mature for his age. (I too love his jump landing and the flow out.) He is well rounded without weaknesses, and he seems to have a quiet mental strength. All these bode well for him to grow into a potential top Senior.

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
Hannah Miller has arrived. Good for her, although I'm sure she realizes she was a bit lucky to medal after a FS that had multiple UR's and a missed salchow. At any rate, let us now see if Gracie Gold can do the same thing and medal in Estonia. Which might finally prove to the USFS that their silly practice of default-filling JGP rosters with the previous year's Junior results list, and ignoring summer competitions and how a skater is trending, has some weaknesses.

Julia L is awesome, and yet I wouldn't make the automatic assumption that if put into a competition with the likes of Sotnikova and Tuktamysheva, she would win. To some extent, how brilliant you look is relative against everyone else you're up against in the competition, IJS notwithstanding. Frankly with that score, I was looking at the protocols expecting something like 3Z-3L etc etc. and it's not there.

Last edited:

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker
Julia Lipnitskaia wins! With a HUGE score of 183.05! It's a whopping 33 or so points above the silver medalist. Congratulations to Anna Shershak for scoring well in her first JGP. 150+ is a great total score, especially for a complete unknown (and the youngest in the competition - by a day). Hannah Miller wins bronze in her debut, which is awesome considering she was a latecomer for JGP consideration.

Miyahara finishing 5th puts her all but out of contention for the JGPF, though - she ends with 22 points, above the other girls (the two Polinas) on scoring tiebreakers, placing now 5th in the qualifying as well (with Julia's scores added). She'll have to wait and see what happens when Risa Shoji (one silver), Anna Shershak (this silver, and scheduled to compete in Tallinn as well), Samantha Cesario (one bronze) compete. Any of the two getting a higher score than her 22 will knock her out. Any 22's from Risa or Anna will cause the result to go to the highest Score tiebreaker.

oleada

Record Breaker
No, Miyahara is behind Polina K and Polina A in the qualification. She has 20 points, not 22.

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker
No, Miyahara is behind Polina K and Polina A in the qualification. She has 20 points, not 22.

Whoops. I can do math, I swear! But you're right. I messed up adding- Miyahara IS out of it. - I guess I don't do well when I'm procrastinating my lab report and exhausted/congested.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
It's not like Hannah Miller won the gold/silver medal here. She was very lucky to even medal.
If Hicks/Satoko were up to form, she wouldn't medal.

The injustice was Vanessa Lam last year and Agnes Zadwaski the year before. They clearly had what it took to get to the JPGF.

LeCygne

Final Flight
It's not like Hannah Miller won the gold/silver medal here. She was very lucky to even medal.
If Hicks/Satoko were up to form, she wouldn't medal.

The injustice was Vanessa Lam last year and Agnes Zadwaski the year before. They clearly had what it took to get to the JPGF.

You're right about Hannah Miller. At least Vanessa will make the JGPF this year. The injustice this year will be Gracie Gold, I'm convinced. I hope Gracie at least wins Junior Nationals and goes to Junior Worlds, something Vanessa missed out on last year by competing in Senior Nationals.

On another note, poor Satoko Miyahara got hit with 7 underrotations in the SP + FS combined! To the naked eye she looks good and has the difficult combos, but she really needs to rotate those jumps for next year. That and work on the presentation, but she's got lots of potential.

Last edited: