Agnes Zawadzki | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Agnes Zawadzki

Poodlepal

On the Ice
You know what? I hope Agnes stays true to herself and doesn't become like every other skater, with the tasteful dress, and the slow, soft music, and the bun. There used to be a place for tough showgirl skaters, like Nicole Bobek, Elizabeth Manley and Tonya Harding. No, I don't want Agnes to get in trouble with the law, like 2 of the three mentioned above did! But if she wants to dress in a sparkly, sexy dress and skate to show tunes, good for her. I get so sick of those same slooow, sooooft, geennnntle, performances. I miss the way it was back in the early 90's, when Oksana Baiul dressed in feathers and skated to what was it? My Fair Lady? I rarely see any cutesiness in any skater, except for a couple of seconds in Rachael's performance. Mostly I see 17 year olds skating to somber, joyless music like they're grieving widows.

But have no fear. Next year I'm sure Agnes will drop "Whatever Lola Wants" and the Vegas look and skate to the Soft Quiet Piano Concerto in a plain velvet dress, and everyone will wonder why she didn't live up to her potential.

I had a nice laugh over the way you put that, Poodlepal, but in addition to its wit, your post has a good point. It's great when skating isn't standardized. That's one reason I liked Elvis Stojko, even when his artistry wasn't the smothest. He brought an important element to the skating of his time. I do hope Agnes can find her own voice and path.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I too became disinterested in Ladiezzz these last few years because, though beautiful, the skating and the programs are so similar. I miss Lu Chen and Oksana Baiul types of skaters, and Michelle, Midori, Tonya.......

prettykeys

Medalist
You know what? I hope Agnes stays true to herself and doesn't become like every other skater, with the tasteful dress, and the slow, soft music, and the bun. There used to be a place for tough showgirl skaters, like Nicole Bobek, Elizabeth Manley and Tonya Harding. No, I don't want Agnes to get in trouble with the law, like 2 of the three mentioned above did! But if she wants to dress in a sparkly, sexy dress and skate to show tunes, good for her. I get so sick of those same slooow, sooooft, geennnntle, performances. I miss the way it was back in the early 90's, when Oksana Baiul dressed in feathers and skated to what was it? My Fair Lady? I rarely see any cutesiness in any skater, except for a couple of seconds in Rachael's performance. Mostly I see 17 year olds skating to somber, joyless music like they're grieving widows.
I was unable to articulate exactly why I liked Agnes, with all her weaknesses...and you just did it for me.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I can't speak competitively, but we had the pleasure of seeing her skate last week @ Mike Weiss' annual foundation show.