The greatest pair skating performances | Page 2 | Golden Skate

The greatest pair skating performances

DianaSelene

Medalist
I love greedy threads like this, where we all grab up a zillion skating programs and then can't bring ourselves to narrow down the list! Who could? All of these are splendid.

If we can add pro programs, there are the handful or so of Underhill-Martini programs such as "Unchained Melody." Talk about chemistry!

By the way, is "City Lights" the B/S Chaplin program? The one where Yelena portrays the little boy? That's one of my top faves. At one point I think she balances on her head, on top of his head. And that's just one of the wow moments in the program.

That's also a great program but I originally was talking about their 2001 lp.

Vash01

Medalist
G&G's Rodin Number (which is where Lady Caliph came from for B&S which is honestly why I never got into it)
Jamie & David's Love Story
Brasseur & Eisler's "Patricia The Stripper"... ok I just had to so sue me! :laugh:

Lady Caliph had nothing to do with G&G's Rodin number. If you watch the program objectively, you will find it to be beautiful, and IMO the best SP ever skated in an Olympic competition.

In B&S's Meditation from Thais, Tamara incorporated a couple of Rodin positions (Eternal spring, which was roughly in the middle of the program, and was extremely difficult, and there was one more).

Vash01

Medalist
Here are the greatest pairs performances in my opinion:

G&G-1988 Oly LP
G&G- 1989 worlds LP
G&G- Vocalise (Pro)
G&G- Moonlight Sonata Oly 94 (even with a couple of minor flaws)
G&G- 94 Oly SP
G&G- The man I love (pro)
G&G- The Nutcracker (Pro- Landover competition; I think 92)
G&G- Reverie (Pro and 94 Oly Ex)
G&G- 1990 European (Romeo & Juliet)

M&D- Libestraum LP 92 Oly (even with a couple of mistakes)
M&D- Rachmaninoff LP 94 Oly
M&D- Don Quixote SP 94 Oly

B&S- 2000 Cup of Russia LP (Citylights)- may be the best ever LP skate
B&S- 1998 GPF LP (Dark Eyes)
B&S- 1998 Swan Lake SP at Europeans
B&S- 1999 worlds Concert for Coloratura LP (even with a fall)
B&S- 2000 Europeans LP (Valse Sentimentale)
B&S- 2000 Ex (Smooth)
B&S- 2001 Europeans Citylights LP
B&S 2001 worlds SP (Meadowland)
B&S- 2002 SP (Lady Caliph)- the best ever SP (also at Goodwill games and Trophee Lalique)
B&S- Impossible dream (Ex)
B&S- Meditation from Thais (several exhibition performances were exquisite; can't list them here but I saw two of them live)
B&S- Let me fall (SOI- 2003)
B&S- If I could (SOI- 2004?)
B&S- The kid (2001, 2002)- I got tired of this program later, but when it first came out, it was wonderful.

Bechke & Petrov- You don't bring me flowers (Pro)
B&P- Snowstorm (pro)
B&P- Spartacus (pro)
B&P- Romance (pro)

Totmianina-Marinin:
2005 worlds SP (Ave Maria)
2005 worlds LP (Scheherzade)_ I consider this great because they bounced back from their horrific fall early in the season, yet got it together at worlds.
2006 Oly SP (Snow storm)
2006 Oly LP (Romeo & Juliet)
2006 Ex (Color of the night)

Petrova-Tikhonov: 2000 worlds LP (4 seasons)
2006 Worlds LP (4 seasons)

Valova-Vasiliev: 1988 worlds LP

Babilonia-Gardner 1979 worlds

Shishkova-Naumov:
1992 SP (Take five)
1995(?) SP- Ave Maria
1993/94 SP- Rondo capricioso

The Protopopovs- Ave Maria (Pro)

I did not include any of Rodnina's performances in this because I have seen only one of them, and it did not strike me as one of the greatest although those days it probably was.

clairecloutier

Final Flight
Gordeeva/Grinkov: Olympics 1994, both short and long programs

To me, simply the greatest pair ever, and their greatest performances ever. I will NEVER forget the moment they took the ice for their short program in Lillehammer. You could feel the energy, anticipation, electricity in the air. And their performance met the moment perfectly--the speed, the crispness of the steps, the cool excitement of the music, and of course their incredible chemistry. And to me their long program was equally exciting and even more beautiful. Oddly enough, the tiny flaws in their Lillehammer programs somehow, for me, only highlighted the perfection of everything else they did. I know some of their performances at other events were technically cleaner, but to me nothing equaled the sheer excitement and tension of their Olympic programs.

A couple other great pairs programs:

Mishkuteniok/Dmitriev: Worlds 1991, long program

This program was so innovative at the time, so beautifully and lyrically performed, and so lovely. To me this was the highlight of M/D's incredible career (which was only slightly less glorious than G/G's).

Bechke/Petrov: Olympics 1992, long program

Just a great program. This was the best B/P ever skated, and what a place to do it. If they'd been able to hit this level more consistently, they probably would have been world champions.

Shen/Zhao: Worlds 2003, long program

I agree with everyone else--one of the most inspiring and memorable pairs programs ever. In terms of sheer excitement and emotional impact, very few pairs if any can match Shen/Zhao. This was maybe the highlight of their career, but there were many many moments that almost matched this one.

Savchenko/Szolkowy: Worlds 2011, long program

Probably not many will agree with this, but I really liked S/S's Pink Panther program this year, and I thought they skated it terrifically. Although the program wasn't gorgeous or romantic, it showed off so well their impressive technical ability and their interesting chemistry on the ice. And especially it showed off the absolutely pristine quality of Aliona's skating; the perfection of her line and posture. I just really enjoyed watching them this season.

f1nnstep

Rinkside
Gordeeva/Grinkov: Olympics 1994, both short and long programs

To me, simply the greatest pair ever, and their greatest performances ever. I will NEVER forget the moment they took the ice for their short program in Lillehammer. You could feel the energy, anticipation, electricity in the air. And their performance met the moment perfectly--the speed, the crispness of the steps, the cool excitement of the music, and of course their incredible chemistry. And to me their long program was equally exciting and even more beautiful. Oddly enough, the tiny flaws in their Lillehammer programs somehow, for me, only highlighted the perfection of everything else they did. I know some of their performances at other events were technically cleaner, but to me nothing equaled the sheer excitement and tension of their Olympic programs.

I fully agree with you about the excitement and the perfection and emotion what is in the olympic programs. I loved them. I happened to see the Euros live and I just felt little sorry for them not to reach that perfection they were seeking in Olympics. For me it was more than enough:) There is a version of this program from Skate Canada or America (1993) where Scott Hamilton comments on the program that there is only one problem... it is too short :) I could watch this for ages.

Probably not many will agree with this, but I really liked S/S's Pink Panther program this year, and I thought they skated it terrifically. Although the program wasn't gorgeous or romantic, it showed off so well their impressive technical ability and their interesting chemistry on the ice. And especially it showed off the absolutely pristine quality of Aliona's skating; the perfection of her line and posture. I just really enjoyed watching them this season.

Agree - Aliona is made to be Pink Panther!

I must say I have enjoyed the Canadians Dube&Davison very much in the recent years. They were so promising in Gothenberg with their bronze medal. Unfortinately they couldnt step to next level although I loved their program the Way We Were - especially in Canadian nationals 2010: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42kb8UwHS5A

At the moment I'm very excited about Volosozhar Trankov. I think they have the ability to climb to the "best ever category".

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Lady Caliph had nothing to do with G&G's Rodin number. If you watch the program objectively, you will find it to be beautiful, and IMO the best SP ever skated in an Olympic competition.

it's the same concept. "The Kiss" from Rodin and as I recall Tamara was quoted as saying as much.

Buttercup

Record Breaker

So many pairs do romantic programs - I find it refreshing to have an elite team that doesn't go in that direction and who come up with new ideas and concepts every year. Ingo Steuer has done a phenomenal job with Aliona and Robin. The Pink Panther isn't my favorite program of theirs, but it's great fun and the Worlds performance was fantastic.

it's the same concept. "The Kiss" from Rodin and as I recall Tamara was quoted as saying as much.
The same concept doesn't mean it's a rehash of the G/G program; it's an interpretation of a concept by a different choreographer, working with a different pair, and utilizing their strengths to create something distinctive. It's not like Rodin is an unknown, and what I've read about Tamara Moskvina indicates that she is very interested in the arts and in applying ideas from performance art in skating. I'm not even sure I'd call it the same concept so much as the same source of inspiration; I've watched both programs, and find few similarities - both pairs are wonderful and each brings something unique to the performance.

I also enjoyed B/S's City Lights LP, here at the 2001 Cup of Russia: http://youtu.be/eLpXj6PD9HE

(yeah, I'm still pressed that B/S lost the 2001 World title to Sale/Pelletier's flawed performances)
I love City Lights! I've read they were quite opposed to it at first but fell in love with it eventually and wanted to keep it for the Olympic season. Moskvina figured the judges wouldn't go for it. I don't want to discuss the judging at 2001 Worlds because I might say something I'll regret. ;)

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
So many pairs do romantic programs - I find it refreshing to have an elite team that doesn't go in that direction and who come up with new ideas and concepts every year. Ingo Steuer has done a phenomenal job with Aliona and Robin. The Pink Panther isn't my favorite program of theirs, but it's great fun and the Worlds performance was fantastic.

The same concept doesn't mean it's a rehash of the G/G program; it's an interpretation of a concept by a different choreographer, working with a different pair, and utilizing their strengths to create something distinctive. It's not like Rodin is an unknown, and what I've read about Tamara Moskvina indicates that she is very interested in the arts and in applying ideas from performance art in skating. I'm not even sure I'd call it the same concept so much as the same source of inspiration; I've watched both programs, and find few similarities - both pairs are wonderful and each brings something unique to the performance.
To me there were too many similiarities. Different music, costume, but a lot of the same ideas. I'm not saying it's not good, I just didn't care for it. I prefer their Chaplin programs more. Anton has such personality I like it when he gets to let it shine through...

Buttercup, I agree about Ingo Steuer. I noticed his unusual artistry, very Central European Modern (can't classify it better, but springing out of that wonderful sophisticated, edgy early 1900s tradition that gave us Bauhaus and Paul Klee and suchlike) when he was still skating, and he's carried it forward beautifully with Robin and Aliona. They are the ideal pair for his work, and it's not coincidence that in a world of Russian and Chinese champions, they're the only current Western European pair that's in contention for the top spot year after year. You can see how he pushes the limits of both technique and choreography, and it's great for skating and for audiences.

One of my favorite choreographers for pairs for years—now decades—has been Moskvina. Dmitriev and his two partners, and then Elena and Anton, demonstrate her wonderful mix of beauty and absolutely terrifying lifts.

And, interestingly, I think the "Moonlight Sonata" of G/G was choreographed by our old friend Maria Zoueva. I vaguely remember that when Katia and Sergei decided to reinstate for the 1994 Olympics, they went back to her; she had worked with them in the old U.S.S.R. their first time around as a competing pair. So that puts a third favorite choreographer in the mix of our Hall of Fame performances. I don't know who did their other programs, especially the professional ones.

As for Underhill/Martini....well, their choreographer was Sandra Bezic. So we've got a pretty good list!

Big Deal

Final Flight
I rewatched the Cily Light 2001. program.
A great wowww.
Maybe the best ever program?
Much better than their program in 2002.
Why I couldn't remember such a glorious program...???

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
And, interestingly, I think the "Moonlight Sonata" of G/G was choreographed by our old friend Maria Zoueva. I vaguely remember that when Katia and Sergei decided to reinstate for the 1994 Olympics, they went back to her; she had worked with them in the old U.S.S.R. their first time around as a competing pair. So that puts a third favorite choreographer in the mix of our Hall of Fame performances. I don't know who did their other programs, especially the professional ones.

Marina Zoueva did most of their Professional programs. Sandra Besic and Michael Seibert did their SOI specific ones (like Out of Tears)

evangeline

Record Breaker
I rewatched the Cily Light 2001. program.
A great wowww.
Maybe the best ever program?
Much better than their program in 2002.
Why I couldn't remember such a glorious program...???

That's because City Lights was strangely unappreciated by the judges, who often ranked Sale/Pelletier higher than Berezhnaya/Sikharulidze even when Berezhnaya/Sikharulidze skated more cleanly the season they used City Lights as their main LP (case in point: 2001 Worlds).

According to Tamara Moskvina, she was told that the judges thought that City Lights was "too theatrical" and was more fit for an exhibition program. Which is ridiculous--I thought City Lights did a rather good job in balancing creativity/entertainment with the technical requirements of a competitive pairs program. Funny that the judges had no such qualms with Love Story, which arguably had just as much or even more posing and non-skating choreography

jcoates

Medalist
Speaking of choreographers, Lee Ann Miller was Shen and Zhao's choreographer for many years, including their famous Turandot program. She doesn't get as much credit as she should for the tremendous work she did in shaping their skating (and that of other Chinese pairs) including improving their line, posture, timing, expression and flow. They underwent a metamorphosis during the two years they competed that program. She transformed them from technical wizards into a complete pair. Also, her previous iconic program to a different cut of the same music for Meno and Sand is worthy of notice.