General Regionals discussion | Golden Skate

General Regionals discussion

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker
The first 3 2012 Regionals of the year (Eastern Great Lakes, New England, and Northwest Pacific) just finished up last night.

Glancing at the scores, I noticed that in the NE Senior Ladies competition, Yasmin Siraj scored 185.70 overall (64.26 SP and 121.44 FS).

I know Nationals competitions are inflated, but jeez! She beat the nearest competitor by SIXTY points! All of her spins and step sequences, in both programs, were Level 4. Wow.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I attended some of the NWPac Regionals....I dont think any of our junior ladies will make it through to Nationals, but Amanda Hofmann, who was a novice last year at Greensboro and who took forth, is now a senior and got a 135. She has at least a chance to get to nationals. Very nice spiral.....

sequinsgalore

Record Breaker
The first 3 2012 Regionals of the year (Eastern Great Lakes, New England, and Northwest Pacific) just finished up last night.

Glancing at the scores, I noticed that in the NE Senior Ladies competition, Yasmin Siraj scored 185.70 overall (64.26 SP and 121.44 FS).

I know Nationals competitions are inflated, but jeez! She beat the nearest competitor by SIXTY points! All of her spins and step sequences, in both programs, were Level 4. Wow.

Is Regionals always this inflated? I mean, Siraj got 64.26 for a SP where her combo was only 3T+2T.

In her FS she did 3F (fall), 3Lz+2T, 3T+2A SEQ, 3S, 3Lz, 3T and 2A+2T+2Lo. Nice content - why did she not want a 2nd JGP?

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker
Is Regionals always this inflated? I mean, Siraj got 64.26 for a SP where her combo was only 3T+2T.

In her FS she did 3F (fall), 3Lz+2T, 3T+2A SEQ, 3S, 3Lz, 3T and 2A+2T+2Lo. Nice content - why did she not want a 2nd JGP?

I don't know about the inflation.

But some are speculating she didn't want a second JGP because it was unlikely she would make the JGPF, and so would rather have more time to focus on preparing for Nationals.

Sylvia

Record Breaker
Videos for EGL/NE/NWP Regionals are starting go up on IN for those who have a season pass for viewing.

I'm compiling an unofficial list of U.S. Sectional Novice-Senior qualifiers here (singles for now), plus known Regional byes: http://unseenskaters.wordpress.com/sectionals/

ETA: I've added new info on Senior Dance and Senior/Junior Pairs at US Sectionals.

Last edited:

Sylvia

Record Breaker
I attended some of the NWPac Regionals....I dont think any of our junior ladies will make it through to Nationals, but Amanda Hofmann, who was a novice last year at Greensboro and who took forth, is now a senior and got a 135. She has at least a chance to get to nationals. Very nice spiral.....
Did you see Selena Zhao who won NWP Novice with an impressive score?

The 3 Regionals this weekend are North Atlantics (Amherst, NY), Upper Great Lakes (Richfield, MN), and Southwest Pacifics (Ontario, CA): http://unseenskaters.wordpress.com/regionals/

mskater93

Record Breaker
Congratulations to Olivia Allen, Juvenile Girls Champion at Upper Great Lakes. :) This is a really driven and focused kid and I love her work ethic.

Good luck today to Taylor Kulpa in Senior Ladies, Lexi Verhuslt and Carly Gold (Gracie Gold's twin sister) in Junior Ladies, Bradie Tennel, Katie Mullan and Michelle Mueller in Novice Ladies, and Tomoki Hiwatashi in Intermediate Men.

mskater93

Record Breaker
Good luck today to Taylor Kulpa in Senior Ladies, Lexi Verhuslt and Carly Gold (Gracie Gold's twin sister) in Junior Ladies, Bradie Tennel, Katie Mullan and Michelle Mueller in Novice Ladies, and Tomoki Hiwatashi in Intermediate Men.

Congratulations, Tomoki Hiwatashi, Intermediate Men's Champion!

enlight78

Medalist
Saw the Men's Sr Free Skate Sectionals in Grapevine. My first live figure skating competition. Live is completely different from internet of tv. Now think it is unfair to judge a skater until you see them live. Max Aaron was very good and expressive. Nice quad and axel. If he skates like this and nationals -he can definitely win or medal. Saw Mroz famous quad ltz He rotated it. His step out was larger than the jump it self. He rotates very fast. His 3A actually looks more impressive. He had a lot of mistakes, popped a lutz, don't really care for the program. Not the best vehicle for him choreography wise. He use some works on the spins to. The other two men had very entertaining expressive programs even if they didn't hit the tech