Javier Fernandez | Golden Skate

Javier Fernandez

aemeraldrainc

Final Flight
Hmmm, very interesting.
Thank you for the link. I really like him and hope be has a great season.
But...
Who's "Kim"?

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I wondered who "kim" was too, except for Miki's main rival, but at the time it was reportedly Morozov's attention on Amodio that caused Fernandez' resentment and concern.

I find it unnecessary for the writer to report Fernandez' speech like a tape recorder when Fernandez was speaking in a language he was not well versed in.

aemeraldrainc

Final Flight
Maybe he meant "Him"?
As in Amodio, of course, but maybe the writer omitted part of his answer where he first mentioned Amodio?
I don't have any other explanation.

sigrid

On the Ice
I'm pretty sure it was a mistake of the writer and Javi meant Amodio, or maybe he was talking about Ando-Kim fight for the World Championship.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
After seeing Amodio's new LP, Fernandez and his fans should be happy about his leaving Morozov. However, Amodio just won the French nationals, so.....:confused2: Either the judges do like his programs or Joubert bombed.

Let's wait for some international results. SC's coming up soon. Good luck to Javier.

eta. I like what he says about Orser being like a Dad to him. Orser had that Proud Dad vibe re Yuna too. It's too bad whatever happened between Kim and him but she hasn't looked happy in competition since or maybe since after the Olympics. Orser has no kids of his own, AFAIK.

Last edited:

Buttercup

Record Breaker
After seeing Amodio's new LP, Fernandez and his fans should be happy about his leaving Morozov. However, Amodio just won the French nationals, so.....:confused2: Either the judges do like his programs or Joubert bombed.
It was the French Masters, an early season monitoring competition that's pretty much meaningless. Nationals will be in December. As for what happened, Joubert was in poor form and for whatever reason the judges in Orleans felt Florent's hot mess of an LP deserved very high PCS. I suspect they were blinded by his costume and didn't actually notice what he was doing.

I was happy that Fernandez left Morozov even before seeing Amodio's programs; what Morozov had Javi skating to last year was more than enough. The interview is hilarious.

aemeraldrainc

Final Flight
As for what happened, Joubert was in poor form and for whatever reason the judges in Orleans felt Florent's hot mess of an LP deserved very high PCS. I suspect they were blinded by his costume and didn't actually notice what he was doing.
:laugh:

aemeraldrainc

Final Flight
@ SkateFiguring
I liked that bit about Orser as well. I'm happy he's found a way to pass down all his knowledge and experience. And Fernandez seems like such an eager pupil. A sponge to soak it all. :laugh:

Other interesting bits:

He mentioned "people who want to go to Europeans....and do stuff that's not allowed".

What is he talking about? Steroids? Hehe

Also about him liking Patrick Chan because he's always himself, no matter if he wins the gold medal or not.

Interesting.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Javier sounds like he's his own person too, easy going but knows what he wants and goes to get it. I think he is doing well with the classical music, as seen from his Nebelhorn performances. He also talks honestly, not just saying what he thinks people want to hear.

Seeing he can't train at home to be an elite skater, the situation in Canada seems to very good for him. The world is so small today with all the communication technology, unlike the old days when international phone calls cost a fortune and snail mails took forever.

I hope he does well enough to skate some "funny stuff" in the galas.

colleen o'neill

Medalist
:biggrin::biggrin: It does my heart so much good to see him skating to this material.:biggrin: It's still a new situation for him..I'm sure his personal style will evolve over time. In the meantime, I think this suits him well.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I enjoyed reading this. He seems very candid and easygoing in his interview. I also liked that he mentioned Brian Orser as his skating "Dad". Am very much looking forward to watching Javier's new programs!

Same here! Love the reference to Brian O.! Hope the coaching relationship works out well for both of them!

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Javier Fernandez put Spain on the figure skating map (more appropriete tittle for this Beverley Smith's article)

Chan shaky in short program DiManno has much to say about Javier too, the star of the night.

Chan sits third after short program at Skate Canada

The Fernandez relevant part:

Fernandez, 19, is coached in Toronto by former world and Canadian champ Brian Orser.

He opened with a quad toe loop -- he was the only skater with a perfectly clean quad -- then went into a triple Lutz-triple toe and added a tremendous triple Axel before doing his spins and footwork.

The triple Axel was Orser's trademark jump.

"I am really happy that everything I practised worked," said Fernandez, who was 10th at the 2011 world championships. "I am really, really happy working with Brian. I think we are going to be a really good team."

The two got together four months ago.

"I think I'll stay," he said with a big grin.

Yes Jarvier, it's probably the right decidion. Stay happy.

glam

On the Ice
I am so happy for Javier! I think he has a chance to become a real star if he keeps progressing like this!