The Zhangs are back! | Golden Skate

The Zhangs are back!

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I liked the whole thing! It's lovely to see difficult things done with so little apparent effort. And it's nice to see them looking at each other, too.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Their LP

I think training on skating and non lift elements for a year without competitions actually helped them overall. Hao came back to a taller Dan but he is lifting and throwing her well.

Last edited:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
They seemed to be a little tired by the end of the LP--but it still was a great effort. And very gutsy to put both throws in the second half of the program.

Ilvskating

Final Flight
I love the SP particularly. they just transformed! Best wish for the coming back! I see them back on the podium!

bsfan

On the Ice
Their body lines don't seem to match well. She is too tall for him. How come that Dan is still growing at the age of say 25?

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
I love the SP particularly. they just transformed! Best wish for the coming back! I see them back on the podium!

I dont. No way they are beating the Germans or Volosozhar & Trankov. That leaves the bronze as their highest possability but Kavaguti & Smirnov will beat them unless they self destruct badly, Pang & Tong if they come back by Worlds will probably beat them, and then there are the up coming Russian teams especialy Barazova & Larionov, and the up and coming NA pairs. They will do well to even make top 5 at Worlds.

It is good to see they are trying to improve but it is too late for them. They should have improved 3 or 4 years ago when the judges were actually overscoring them and waiting to give them a World title if they could show some semblance of artistic improvement. They are now pretty much an afterthought. Many pairs have caught up and surpassed them technically, and they are no longer a judges favorite.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Nope. Because pairs is a high risk event, it's always possible for a team who has been passed over to come back.

They just have to execute perfectly. P&T were discounted more than once. Pairs isn't ice dance.

If the Zhangs do a 3T2T2t and a 3S, and good 3Tw with great height, both throws in the second half, and and a really good death spiral, they're in the mix.

BTW, it's nice that the Zhang's are closer in height than some other teams, especially since it doesn't affect their ability to do their tougher tricks.

Last edited:

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
The Zhangs executed perfectly at the 2010 Worlds where they skated their two very difficult programs perfectly and finished a distant 5th. That was in a poor event where a team took two awful falls and missed silver by a fraction of a point. I dont the judges care whether they execute perfectly, there are new teams of interest now and they are seen as yesterdays hotshots. Yes Pang & Tong looked on the down a bit a few times but they never skated perfectly and finished 5th in any event, let alone a mediocre one missing the Olympic Champs of that year.  When they are down it is their own inconsistency that puts them there, the judges had never written them as a top pair.