Canadian figure skaters set to take on world | Golden Skate

Canadian figure skaters set to take on world

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Well, we all KNEW that Chan and V/M were 'set to take on the world'. But Canadian Ladies and Pairs? Not so much.

SF, if there's anyone who is entitled to speak of his or her country having extraordinary potential for the season this year, it's a Canadian (or a Japanese or maybe a Russian). Canada has a pair of extraordinary ice dancers and the hottest male skater of the moment. The U.S. is lucky to have its ice dancers, but there's not much else that we can count on even for a podium position. Japan has both men and women, three deep in each. Russia could slide in there, if their skaters have matured sufficiently. (Or if Plushy has stayed young enough!) But Canada certainly has strong possibilities.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
True, but it's worth mentioning that in three of the four disciplines at last year's worlds, USA outranked Canada (dance, pairs, ladies)

But I'm a bit of an anti-PJ kick right now, and I find her comments this year annoyingly blase and shallow.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Canada does not have the same depth as the other strong skating nations, probably a result of our small population, but somehow our best are up there contending. Japan's talents are concentrated in Singles, sort of a waste as far as winning high number of medals is concerned. US is the opposite of Canada, lots of talents but no real top tier contenders outside of Dance. Who would have thunk? Ice Dance is US strongest discipline.

China would be an almost unbeatable powerhouse if the sport ever becomes moderately popular there. As it is, their talent pool is from just one small region. As well, people from Harbin are tall, so their female Pairs skaters are relatively big.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
Canada produces top single skaters one at a time. Orser, Browning, Buttle, and now Chan. After 2014 Olympics, there might be another one emerge.:)

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
^^^ Insert Stojko and (headcase but extremely talented) Sandhu between Browning and Buttle. I'm watching little Nam Nguyen for 2018 Olympics.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
Right, Stojko!:yes: I've never liked him. Somehow he always managed to slip out of my mind whenever I think about the past great Canadian skaters.

Sandhu was talented but he was never really onto international's big stage. Besides Nationals, he got nothing big except to beat Plushenko once when Plushenko's mind wasn't at work and did extra combo at 2003-04 GPF.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Isn't it the irony? I don't care for Stojko either but he was good at winning. Loved Sandhu's skating but he couldn't put it together to win on a big stage. Sigh.

Well, we have enough great Canadian male skaters to celebrate and :bow: over.

Isn't it the irony? I don't care for Stojko either but he was good at winning. Loved Sandhu's skating but he couldn't put it together to win on a big stage. Sigh.

Well, we have enough great Canadian male skaters to celebrate and :bow: over.

Ah, Sandhu, the heartbreak kid. He was extraordinary, but no one could implode more completely than he. In terms of behavior under pressure, he made Sasha Cohen look like Katarina Witt by comparison.

I've always felt like an adopted Canadian when it comes to skating because several of my favorite male skaters are Canadian, not to mention the glorious ice dancers. (You even produced Tanith Belbin.) My fave of all time, Browning, would be sufficient to make me cheer for the maple leaf flag, and you also had Cranston, Orser, and Buttle. Then there are the pairs, including Underhill/Martini and Sale/Pelletier.

You haven't had many ladies' singles immortals (after Barbara Ann Scott), but who cares? Japan doesn't have pairs or ice dancers, but Mao, Shizuka, Yuka Sato, and the others, as well as Takahashi et al among the men, more than make up for it.

jettasian

Match Penalty
Right, Stojko!:yes: I've never liked him. Somehow he always managed to slip out of my mind whenever I think about the past great Canadian skaters.
You better make sure he doesn't know you in person, or he's going to "kung-fu" you!

Sandhu was talented but he was never really onto international's big stage. Besides Nationals, he got nothing big except to beat Plushenko once when Plushenko's mind wasn't at work and did extra combo at 2003-04 GPF.
Never like Sandhu. And I think he spends more time on his hair and makeup than anything else...

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
If things continue the way they have for Canadians ladies the last 50 years we won't see a top notch lady until about 2025.