Adelina Sotnikova NEW short program | Golden Skate

Adelina Sotnikova NEW short program

seniorita

Record Breaker
Her choreo is very Tarasova :), i like how much different she looks since last season, but I dont like the blue costume much..

LeCygne

Final Flight
Very different indeed. Not sure how I feel about this style in particular, but I love how versatile she is! The blue costume is unique as well.. I guess the pants contribute to the effect, but I actually think the top would look great as a dress.

Last edited:

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
I don't get the costume.. the v neck is far too low for her age, and the blue pants thing remind me of Scott Hamilton's '84 startrek/disco getup. What happened to a Cuban/Latin heritage, even one as fairy tale like and fresh as this version is suppose to be?

Adelina tries though, Opening movements starts off well, then it kind of gone a bit by the book then. No feeling at all.

koatcue

Medalist
Country
Russia
On FSuniverse I've written that I don't like this sp at all, but now I'm trying to imagine how she'll do at the COC and I think it might be great.Today will be her Lieberstreume programme.I suppose it'll be good 'cause I easily see her in this lirical classic style

koatcue

Medalist
Country
Russia
Watched her lp - she had problems with her jumps.i.e. 2ax-3toe
she didn't even try 3z-3l(((

christinaskater

Medalist
Beautiful! I love her skating and I love her!

She has beautiful lyrical qualities like Michelle Kwan, Yu-Na Kim, Ando ala "The Mission" and generally qualities that remind me of Asada.

Krislite

Medalist
Odd she hasn't gone for her 3lz+3l at all yet. Is she still recovering from her injury? Liza might just run away with this season if Adelina can't recover in time.

koatcue

Medalist
Country
Russia
I'm surprised that she didn't do her combo, especially if she did it at other Russian test skate=// They say she went for 3f-2a, 3lz-3l in her programmes

BlackAxel

Final Flight
I see some promise in Adelina's SP. Of course, its still early in the season to critique her SP thoroughly but I can see that her SP will be well-received by the judges. The TAT signature flair is stamped all over the program.

I wasn't a big fan of her LP though. Maybe it needs more time and preparation or maybe it was the fact that she wasn't emoting very well? To be honest as of late, I link Liebestraum with Mao Asada and I always think of her beautiful LP at 4CC. In all, I don't think this season will be a walk in the park for Adelina. Her SP is decent at best but the fact that Mao is also bringing back Liebestraum as her LP, a lot of comparisons will be surely made. Adelina may have the edge on the technical side, but Mao will take the lead with the PCS. It will be an interesting season, to see how Adelina performs and matures.

gmyers

Record Breaker
I am rooting for Mao and I can't believe that in a season where there is Mao but not Kim or Ando it is considered wide open - but no matter how good her Liebenstraum is compared to Sotnikova's Mao still needs her jumps consistent. Her Japanese nationals and 4CC performances were good but any other performance of that season Sotnikova would defeat her if Sotnikova is clean.

Vash01

Medalist
I like Adelina's speed and power, and she has the jumps. I don't mind that costume at all. It's better than the 'pretty princess' costumes we are seeing on some skaters this season. However, I suspect Adelina will wear a different costume at the GP. She does a very respectable I-spin. Normally I hate that spin because of the bent back. Adelina's position looks better and she has nice speed on it.

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
I absolutely adore Adelina. :biggrin:

I love her speed and height and the difficult combinations she's capable of. I don't like her SP costume (I really hope she changes that up) but I do see the potential for the program. Once she settles into it, I think it will work well.

As for her LP to Libestraume...:disapp:. I don't really like it. It's too empty. That music is so soft and uplifting, you really have to feel the music. Unfortunately, Adelina is just skating through the music and jumping...there's not much else going on. There's a big disconnect between her movements and the music. Mao's Libestraume is an elegant, musical, well-choreographed program. It's some of Lori's best work in years. Adelina's program next to Mao's looks very juniorish and inadequate, and with both ladies performing it this year, that's only going to make the comparison more obvious.

I don't know if TAT did that program too, but it needs a lot of work before it debuts on the GP. Also, Adelina front-loads her jumping passes. That's not a COP-savvy way to win. She needs better distribution of her jumping passes and spins in order to maximize her points and achieve a well-balanced program. Her spins have improved and so have her transitions, so that's encouraging. Still, it's more than just jumps and spins...I want her to have the whole package. The good news is she's capable of it.

I really want to see this girl succeed. There's something very special about her. Adelina needs a great choreographer to put together some amazing programs for her. I love her versatility and I just want to see her use it.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
I hate the SP...the music the costume. She is so much better than that. Her free program is lovely. Shades of baby Mao.

Vash01

Medalist
I am rooting for Mao and I can't believe that in a season where there is Mao but not Kim or Ando it is considered wide open - but no matter how good her Liebenstraum is compared to Sotnikova's Mao still needs her jumps consistent. Her Japanese nationals and 4CC performances were good but any other performance of that season Sotnikova would defeat her if Sotnikova is clean.

I love Mao, but after her struggles last season it is understandable that people have doubts about her jumps. No jumps means no medal. I am hoping that she becomes comfortable this season and reestablishes herself in the judges' eyes, so that she can get the benefit of doubt instead of the opposite.