Ladies - Short Program | Page 11 | Golden Skate

Ladies - Short Program

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Just spent some time poking around in the protocol sheets. Hoping some one more in the know can tell me why Elene got so dinged in GOE's for doubling her jumps. Her opening 2lz + 2t seemed like a nice 2lz + 2t to me - correct edge, fully rotated, not the best air position, a little open, but not obviously flawed, for a double, to my eye.

Mostly she got -3 goes for that, except for 1 judge gave her a +1. I understand the +1 and of course she's not going to place well with a bunch of clean doubles. Still it seems like she should be judged on what she did, not what she was expected to do.

Yeah, I thought that was odd also. I actually think that she could have easily done the triple given the height she had,but somehow her body just couldn't commit to it.

And I though the program was actually quite nice with some great choreo. I hope she comes back in the FS. I admire Elene for staying in the game.

feraina

Record Breaker
Yeah, I thought that was odd also. I actually think that she could have easily done the triple given the height she had,but somehow her body just couldn't commit to it.

And I though the program was actually quite nice with some great choreo. I hope she comes back in the FS. I admire Elene for staying in the game.

The combo has to be 3-2 or 2-3 by requirement. They should've all been -3's, the +1 was given in error.

ivy

On the Ice
The combo has to be 3-2 or 2-3 by requirement. They should've all been -3's, the +1 was given in error.

Thank you! Knew I was missing something. Didn't even think about not fulfilling a required element

alexeifan

On the Ice
look at the camel spin. it's not as nice as sumner's in

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LwvUyHdFdh4

it doesn't even come close to the awesome camels of maria butyrskaya.
even if you tell me it's intentionally with a bent knee, there is a more aesthetic way to do a bent-knee camel spin. see maria butyrskaya's adagio program. or otonal.

for a skater sooooo flexible, why does her blade grab spin not look as nice as oksana baiul's or nicole bobek's or rory flack's? she's not limited-physically, she chooses to achieve this position rather than a more aesthetic one, so her sense of aesthetic just does not jive with mine

her bielman has a bent skating leg. i prefer zhang's camel, layback, bielmann, in this competition alone, not to mention the great spinners of the past. bobek didn't spin as fast, neither did cohen, but cohen's positions were always amazing, and bobek at her best makes czisny look dull and dreary.

of course, i'm aware she's very gracious to her fans, has a disney princess image and an inspiring story. but to me all that can't make up for the fact that her eyebrows are pulled up to her hairline even when she's grinning as if to convince the audience, yes, i really am relaxed, isn't this a soothing program.

that's just my impression. your mileage will vary. so many people find alissa c so beautiful and stirring, when to me she is all tensed-up, inflexible in both her facial expression and body movements. this la vie en rose program looks like moon river in a different dress, to different music.

hey, i'm all for pretty pretty. witness my haruka imai fangirling. it's just that nothing alissa c does qualify as truly pretty in my eye, even her quiet blades-- she doesn't have the flow of an ekaterina gordeeva, a michelle kwan, a mao asada, a mirai nagasu. usually i keep quiet, but occasionally the cynic in me pipes up, seeing such mediocrity ordained. where's bill parcells and his 'put away the annointing oil' when you need it? (yes, i'm aware she doesn't wipe the ice with her butts like before, but merely not falling doesn't generate magic).

ITA with you, I find Alissa gorgeous and all but that doesn't matter in this sport. She is just too awkard. She is still one of the better skaters of today but not the best skater ever. She was more work to do to get to that point. For me the best skaters ever are Kwan, Cohen, and Baiul. The next step is the 2nd tier skaters such as Slutskaya, Butryskaya, Yuna and some others. I find Alissa a third tier skater. I am very proud of her though for becoming more consistent and would live to see her climb up to a high tier.

...but to me all that can't make up for the fact that her eyebrows are pulled up to her hairline even when she's grinning as if to convince the audience, yes, i really am relaxed, isn't this a soothing program.

...so many people find alissa c so beautiful and stirring, when to me she is all tensed-up...

That's part of her charm. You know she is so nervous it is just killing her to be out there on the ice at all.

Yet there she is. :clap: :clap: :clap: :love:

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
snowflake, infelicities means problems/issues/errors. We tend to call errors for more specific things though (step-outs, two foots, etc), whereas little bobbles tend not to be marked down as much (another example would be Joannie Rochette's little slip headed towards her combo in the Olympic SP). In this case, the loop, some transitions and the footwork all had those little errors that add up.

skfan, I figured you'd mention the first spin, because that was the one I'd think of. As for the other two, I love the position she reaches in both, and the speed is mesmerizing. I have no idea why you'd comment on her eyebrows when I asked about her spins.

ITA with you, I find Alissa gorgeous and all but that doesn't matter in this sport. She is just too awkard. She is still one of the better skaters of today but not the best skater ever. She was more work to do to get to that point. For me the best skaters ever are Kwan, Cohen, and Baiul. The next step is the 2nd tier skaters such as Slutskaya, Butryskaya, Yuna and some others. I find Alissa a third tier skater. I am very proud of her though for becoming more consistent and would live to see her climb up to a high tier.

Yeah, this is an odd group. I can accept Alissa as a third tier skater, mainly because I don't really care too much about such designations (though I'll argue that Butryskaya was very awkward on the ice too), but I suspect what you look for in skating is different from what I look for.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I liked everything about Carolina except her costume! But I was thrilled to see Caroline Zhang stage a real comeback. I :love: that kind of story.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Zhang did look much improved. That 2Axel is still pretty scary for her, but the high mule kick has not made a reappearance on the flip, which is reason for her and her fans to celebrate. Now if she can continue to bring even more speed to her skating and more joy, excitement, and personality to her programs, she can really be well on her way to where she wants to be.

I can't get over how much Valentine Marchei resembles Silvia Fontana. She is so pretty! :) Really sad about her Lutz attempt. :(

skateluvr

Record Breaker
hi im in usa east coast, desperate to see the ladies, online feeds anyone? is is happening now? thank you ladies guys of gs!

skateluvr

Record Breaker
hi, where is everyone watching this? i dont have universal...is there skating on now? 3;30 EST thank you people!

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
hi, where is everyone watching this? i dont have universal...is there skating on now? 3;30 EST thank you people!

the SP is being rebroadcast by universal right now which is how I think folks are watching it at the moment. in about a half hour (I think) the LPs begin (for pairs?)

and can someone PLEASE tell Tracy she's mispronouncing Alyssa's name? (then again in 30 years she can't get Boitano right so why should I expect change for Alyssa's? :rolleye::disapp:)

Serious Business

Record Breaker
Alissa's SP was deliriously beautiful. Serene and euphoric. I love the gentle bits of flirtations in the program, too. It might be my favorite program of hers. Also, I question the e call on her flip. In the slow motion zoom on her feet, it didn't seem like she hit an outside edge at any moment, and the tracing on the ice shows no outward curve at all.

burntBREAD

Medalist
Alissa's SP was deliriously beautiful. Serene and euphoric. I love the gentle bits of flirtations in the program, too. It might be my favorite program of hers. Also, I question the e call on her flip. In the slow motion zoom on her feet, it didn't seem like she hit an outside edge at any moment, and the tracing on the ice shows no outward curve at all.

I do think it was UR, though -- and if you listen closely during the slo mo close up replay of the flip, you hear Alissa herself going "ay ay ay" in disapproval... ;)

skateluvr

Record Breaker
thank you Tonichelle-how much is universal?

I wonder how much in us dollars and if its worth it. i go to the website for universal and they don't even let you see the olympic skate of 2010. I want tosee Evans and plushy again and they are "premium.' Don't know why many are not on Youtube. Yuna is on youtube so shouldn't all the past 2010 olympians be there? i guess I'll watch the youtubes shorts. :mad:

Layfan

Record Breaker
I liked everything about Carolina except her costume! But I was thrilled to see Caroline Zhang stage a real comeback. I :love: that kind of story.

Yes, hooray for Caroline! I am totally impressed. I could never get my hopes up for her but they are now. Did she seem faster to everyone? It seemed to me like she has improved her speed. She looked far more sure of herself and happy out there than I've seen her in ages. Nice smile throughout the program.

It was wonderful to see Alissa, Caroline and Carolina do well in their first competition. They are all three such lovely skaters and have all struggled so much in the past few years.

I thought Alissa looked the most polished yesterday, although it's a pity she is still getting that edge call on her flip. Her spins looked to me better than ever. Also, I know people say Alissa always looks tense but I actually thought her smile looked more genuine this time. I think she just loves that music and the program. I'm nervous for Alissa going for that triple triple tonight but good luck to her and to all the other skaters. I hope Caroline stays on the podium. It'll be interesting to see how she can keep up the speed in the long.

Looking back, for all the consistency problems that Alissa and Carolina have had, and injuries in Carolina's case, they are at least lucky that they didn't go through drastic body changes like Caroline and others.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I'm watching Universal on TV. I don't pay for any of the live feeds online. Universal is on Direct TV for sure, but may not be a part of dish or cable providers much longer (they just did an ad about it which is how I know). Mine's actually a local channel (channel 5.2 and 5.3 lol). So I honestly don't know what the cost is to add it to a package from a provider.

Serious Business

Record Breaker
I do think it was UR, though -- and if you listen closely during the slo mo close up replay of the flip, you hear Alissa herself going "ay ay ay" in disapproval... ;)

lol, I think you're right. I only paid attention to the jump takeoff, as I'd read the protocols before watching it and was looking for the e call. Now that I look at the landing, it does look just a tad short of a quarter to a full backwards landing. I guess she's lucky she escaped a costlier call.

On another note, wow at Caroline Zhang's SP performance. So much improvement in lots of areas. Much better speed and power, far better jumps (although the double axel is as awful as ever). Her flexibility isn't what it used to be, but she is a better skater overall.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I LOVE how unusual Kostner's SP is! Brilliantly complicated footwork as usual and unique body movement, shapes, and music and interpretation. She is stunning and statuesque! Beautiful!

I agree that Czisny never looked better than in her new SP! To see her skate with a knowing confidence is delicious! I don't think her jumps have ever looked stronger! Lovely!

I totally agree with their placements as 1 and 2 and these two are my favorite ladies currently competing on the senior level. :love::biggrin:

Last edited:

Puchi

On the Ice
I usually don't like Kostner, but I have to say, I liked the music, the overall program and the costume. If skated clean, this SP will rock!