LADIES LONG PROGRAM Thread | Page 14 | Golden Skate

LADIES LONG PROGRAM Thread

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
And exactly how did the USFS influence the judging? There was only one American judge on the panel and i belive only two NA judges.

mskater93

Record Breaker
If Kostner had done the 2Lo at the end of her three jump combo instead of a single, you would all stop wuz-robbing...

christinaskater

Medalist
Alissa deserved her win! It's about the points. She was exceptional during the SP and rightfully deserved those marks. She was 2nd in the free which is obvious. She has a beautiful presence and look on the ice. She is very artistic and musical as well. And she scored big with those spirals and arguably the best spins in the world! She deserves those + GOE's especially on her spins. It was not just home cooked judging.

Carolina was beautiful but she did not have the lutz. Her spins were not top level. She has improved so much especially on the overall aspect of her skating. I would love to see her win Worlds because she has evolved to become one of my personal favorites in the sport. This is just the start of the season and there would be more amazing skates to witness from these amazing girls.

I just love the new mental fortitude of Alissa!

brightphoton

Medalist
And if Alissa had rotated more of her jumps, nobody would be wuz robbing Kostner.

Considering that Alissa only fully rotated three triples, that would not be a particularly big achievement.

Hey, it's like the 2008 US Nationals all over again!

krenseby

Final Flight
No one is talking about Elene G. but I think her comeback is more promising than Caroline's.

I wonder why no one is talking about her. I am a big fan. She is an amazing skater. Super fast, great choreography, fiery performance, great jumps when rotated and landed. Musicality. The whole package. If she got her act together, I could see her medaling at Worlds. However, on this very forum, she just doesn't get much attention.

burntBREAD

Medalist
I wonder why no one is talking about her. I am a big fan. She is an amazing skater. Super fast, great choreography, fiery performance, great jumps when rotated and landed. Musicality. The whole package. If she got her act together, I could see her medaling at Worlds. However, on this very forum, she just doesn't get much attention.

I think it's because Elene is so ridiculously inconsistent that she kinda ends up floating through the middle...I love her and recall that she was absolutely brilliant back in 2006 and was happy to see her finally with a personal best free skate last year at worlds. I think Brian Orser will help her a lot, his relationship with her seems very good.

prettykeys

Medalist
See I have to disagree with you. I'd argue that there was a reason Kostner always got those PCS. her speed/flow has always been second to none. She's always had good choregraphy. And her jumps when on were beautiful. Its just been hard for anyone to appreciate any of these things when Kostner was spending most of her time stumbling and falling all over the ice.

Now Kostner is landing a bunch of jumps cleanly. She's not falling all over the place and so we can all appreciate her many wonderful qualities. Qualities that were always there. If she can keep the consistency and add in the difficulty maybe that great 3flip/3toe back. She could more than compete with the Russian babies. She could have competed with Kim and Asada too.
100% agree!

Well, there's that. Thank heavens. But when Sasha was skating and Mao, Miki, Mirai, and even Akiko and Ashley were at their best, even a relatively clean Kostner didn't appeal to me. I think her programs have been better on the whole the last couple of seasons. It also helped that her FP dress this year at least covers her butt when she's standing still. I have serious issues with the way she's usually costumed!
Actually, I'd say she was a better skater in the Sasha/Mao overlap days (2005-2007) than she is now, when she was hitting 3-3's. Then she got into a slump for a couple seasons, with her nerves getting the best of her and her confidence apparently rattled. I'm glad she's looking like she is recovering some of her old self.

This is my fav Carolina SP, and one of my favourite from ladies, period:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtNTyUG0DTE

prettykeys

Medalist
Alissa went the opposite way, trying a 3Lz/3T that cost her points and left her too off-balance to get herself together for her next jump, the flip that she fell on.
That sounds like a bad excuse...especially when you derided YuNa for doing those good-for-nothing 3-3's without a full repertoire of triples. :) Let's not start giving credit for trying 3-3's just 'cause...

And Kostner did not "deliberately lower her tech content", I would say that she is trying to rebuild it slowly. Her tech content is higher than it was last year with her injuries.

That sounds like a bad excuse...especially when you derided YuNa for doing those good-for-nothing 3-3's without a full repertoire of triples. :) Let's not start giving credit for trying 3-3's just 'cause...

And Kostner did not "deliberately lower her tech content", I would say that she is trying to rebuild it slowly. Her tech content is higher than it was last year with her injuries.

Did you take my post to mean that I was approving of Alissa's choice and disapproving of Carolina's?

Quite the contrary. in my opinion Alissa's weak 3-3 attempt took the wind out of her program and she never got her legs back under her under the final minute.

I do give Alissa credit not giving up and for fighting for every tenth of a part starting with her double Axel combo and her final two spins.

Kostner, on the other hand, by keeping herself in check and not throwing in everything and the kitchen sink into the mix, skated a great performance and rightly won the long program. (She also skated a wonderfully funky short program and had a great SP costume.)

As for Yu-na Kim :love:, are you sure I ever said anything bad about her? I don't remember that. I think that was someone else, some idiot who was just trying to pad his post count spouting foolishness. :yes:

glam

On the Ice
With the same international panel of judges?

Yes, because if there is one thing I have learned about figure skating, that is the judges often reward skaters in front of their home audience.
To have a home skater win a competition adds more media interest in that country and the audience leaves pleased. And it also rewards the host for it's efforts for organizing the competition. You could see how empty the seats were at the audience. This is one way to attract more audience in the future. I could also ask, how many times a home skater has been robbed in front of her home audience?

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
As for Yu-na Kim :love:, are you sure I ever said anything bad about her? I don't remember that. I think that was someone else, some idiot who was just trying to pad his post count spouting foolishness. :yes:

Yes, I see, Math, that you have changed your avatar to have E=YK+PC rather than your old E=MK squared.

We know you are a YK (Yu Na Kim) fan. ;)

But what's the PC in there for?

seniorita

Record Breaker
^ Patrick Chan I guess?
I was looking this some days ago and couldnt figure out what kind of maths/physics etc it was. But since you said YK is Yuna Kim i solved it!:biggrin:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
And here I was going with "Politically Correct"!

Or a complaint that the only coverage we will get is on the "PC"

(The original I always interpreted as Excellence = Michelle Kwan squared._

seniorita

Record Breaker
Oh that is imaginitive:), me I just thought you write the speed with a K instead of a C in USA:laugh: