Skate Canada Predictions | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Skate Canada Predictions

colleen o'neill

Medalist
I hate making predictions, myself...I'm always worried I'll be a jinx ( buck-buck-buckaaaw ).:biggrin: But I love reading everyone else's.

I'd like to remind everyone that skatebuzz will be livestreaming practices beginning Thursday. And it has been their policy not to geoblock. Extra fun.

hikki

Final Flight
Country
Japan
WHEN does KVDP retire? :eek:
It will be the end of an era.:scowl:

I think Terry Gannons or somebody said during the GP coverage a couple of seasons ago that KVDP has announced retirement many times and he has a habit of coming back!

Go KVDP!

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Men:
01. Patrick CHAN
02. Ross MINER
03. Adam RIPPON
04. Daisuke TAKAHASHI
05. Kevin VAN DER PERREN
06. Javier FERNANDEZ
07. Andrei ROGOZINE
08. Denis TEN
09. Alexander MAJOROV
10. Elladj BALDE

Ladies:
01. Elizaveta TUKTAMISHEVA
02. Akiko SUZUKI
03. Mirai NAGASU
04. Ashley WAGNER
05. Alena LEONOVA
06. Cynthia PHANEUF
07. Rachael FLATT
08. Amelie LACOSTE
09. Sarah HECKEN
10. Adriana DESANCTIS

Pairs:
01. Tatiana VOLOSOZHAR / Maxim TRANKOV
02. Meagan DUHAMEL / Eric RADFORD
03. Lubov ILIUSHECHKINA / Nodari MAISURADZE
04. Wenjing SUI / Cong HAN
05. Narumi TAKAHASHI / Mervin TRAN
06. Paige LAWRENCE / Rudi SWIEGERS
07. Xiaoyu YU / Yang JIN
08. Jessica DUBE / Sebastien WOLFE

Ice-Dance:
01. Tessa VIRTUE / Scott MOIRTarrah
02. Kaitlyn WEAVER / Andrew POJE
03. Ekaterina RIAZANOVA / Ilia TKACHENKO
04. Anna CAPPELLINI / Luca LANOTTE
05. Madison CHOCK / Evan BATES
06. Ekaterina PUSHKASH / Jonathan GUERREIRO
07. Tarrah HARVEY / Keith GAGNON

Last edited:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I think Terry Gannons or somebody said during the GP coverage a couple of seasons ago that KVDP has announced retirement many times and he has a habit of coming back!

Go KVDP!

in the coverage this weekend Terry did say that, and mentioned that SHOULD this be the final season he's only going through Europeans... why not go all the way to worlds?

Trewyn

Medalist
maybe he wants to pull a Sarah Meier?, but in his wife's home country.

That would be amazing ;-) He's said that skating in England would be as close as he'd ever get to skating in front of a 'home' crowd for a major international competition.
But I think he's definitely retiring after this season, and it might be questionable that he goes on to worlds. But HOPEFULLY he can continue to pull out performances like he SA ones!! He's an amazing guy, not a conceited bone in his body; makes me proud to be Belgian ;-)

Predictions for this weekend.. I don't think I'll try my hand at Men's, but here's Ladies:

1) Elizaveta
2) Akiko
3) Ashley
4) Mirai
5) Alena
6) Rachael

Though I admit that it may be a little bit wishful thinking on my account to put Ashley *and* Akiko on the podium; but after SA was incredibly kind to my favourites, I think it's okay to hope :)

Layfan

Record Breaker
That would be amazing ;-) He's said that skating in England would be as close as he'd ever get to skating in front of a 'home' crowd for a major international competition.
But I think he's definitely retiring after this season, and it might be questionable that he goes on to worlds. But HOPEFULLY he can continue to pull out performances like he SA ones!! He's an amazing guy, not a conceited bone in his body; makes me proud to be Belgian ;-)

Predictions for this weekend.. I don't think I'll try my hand at Men's, but here's Ladies:

1) Elizaveta
2) Akiko
3) Ashley
4) Mirai
5) Alena
6) Rachael

Though I admit that it may be a little bit wishful thinking on my account to put Ashley *and* Akiko on the podium; but after SA was incredibly kind to my favourites, I think it's okay to hope :)

Course, it's okay to hope :) I don't think it's that far fetched. As always, it depends on what the others do. I'd be nice to see Ashley and Akiko do well. I am very glad Akiko is still around.

This competition is pretty exciting. Elizaveta's first senior grand prix should be great to watch. I would be surprised not to see on on the podium. Of course, she could definitely win. Good luck to her. Normally, I would say I'd be surprised not to see Rachael on the podium either but she had such a rough season last year and this year she is going through so much I really have to see her first to see what she is like. Mirai really ought to make the podium but she'll have to be better than she was at Nebelhorn. Otherwise, any of these ladies will keep her off. So, if everyone skates their best my prediction is as follows:

Mirai
Elizaveta
Rachael
Akiko

So exciting that these vets finally are competing with one of the young Russians.

Layfan

Record Breaker
For those of you who think that Suzuki will win and beat Tuktamysheva in the process, here's a reminder of the result of the Japan Open from just a few weeks ago:-

1. Elizaveta Tuktamysheva RUS – 118.59
2. Joannie Rochette CAN – 112.74
3. Akiko Suzuki JPN – 112.46
4. Alena Leonova RUS – 108.39
5. Alissa Czisny USA – 107.64
6. Miki Ando JPN – 88.11

So long as Liza does not make any major mistakes, she should win. The only potential challenge I think will come from Mirai and how well she does will depend on whether she has finally resolved her consistency problems.

I agree. If Liza and Mirai make no big mistakes the gold is between them. However, that's always a big if. Liza seems pretty consistent but it is her first senior international competition. However, there isn't really that much pressure for her to win so she should be able to handle herself well. Mirai will be under pressure to show she is still one to be reckoned with. Both are such fun skaters to watch. Good luck to both.

MikiAndoFan#1

Record Breaker
Ladies
1. Akiko
2. Elizaveta
3. Ashley

Men
1. Patrick
2. Daisuke
3. Kevin

Pairs
1. Volosozhar & Trankov
2. Sui & Han
3. Takahashi & Tran

Ice Dance
1. Virtue & Moir
2. Péchalat & Bourzat
3. Weaver & Poje

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
^^ I have not heard anything official but Fabian was battling Bronchitis at SA and he probably has not recovered yet.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Poor Fabien. There is financial remification from the withdrawal too. I believe there is a penalty even for medical reason. There are so few takers for 3 GPs among the seeded skaters for good reasons.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Ahh that is sad. Clearly he could not suffer through another event. I hope he is better by TEB.

gmyers

Record Breaker
Poor Fabian and Natalie - Too late for replacement? Will R/T seize an opportunity to medal?? All NA podium?

Buttercup

Record Breaker
As per their FB page (usually updated by Nathalie):

We are so sorry to announce our withdraw for the "Skate Canada". Fabian is still ill and must rest, to be able to compete in "Trophee bompard" in good condition... See you soon anyway !

This is a real financial hit - even if the ISU wises up and doesn't fine them, they lose the bonus money for doing three events and the money they'd have won at SC. I imagine Fabian must be in really bad shape, the poor guy. I hope he'll recover soon and that the rest of the season will go well for them.