LADIES Long Program | Page 11 | Golden Skate

LADIES Long Program

KKonas

Medalist
Now that Frank has finally moved to his Cathedral City rink, Mirai only goes there a few times a week. It's quite a time consuming drive from LA. I don't think she trains hard enough when Frank or Evan are not around to push her.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The new Queen! (Well, maybe.) The American ladies are such a disappointment. And in that, I include Ashley--and Alissa. Mirai is the most talented, but she is a head case, I'm sad to say. I hope something is happening at the junior level to bring American skating back to the highest level because none in the current group is going to do it.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Coaching isn't the problem with Mirai. She has to decide if she really wants it bad enough. She skated with no fire out there when she needed to go for broke. If she can't handle the nerves then maybe skating isn't for her.

burntBREAD

Medalist
I don't think Mirai necessarily deserved such low PCS as she received tonight. Sure, she didn't skate with a lot of energy but neither did Phaneuf nor Lacoste and they got much higher PCS. (Also, her SS is WAY better than Leonova's)

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The new Queen! (Well, maybe.) The American ladies are such a disappointment. And in that, I include Ashley--and Alissa. Mirai is the most talented, but she is a head case, I'm sad to say. I hope something is happening at the junior level to bring American skating back to the highest level because none in the current group is going to do it.
Well the problem seems to be for the american girls landing there jumps more then anything. Flatt used to be consistent but wasn't ever going to be a World champion. I would love to see Gracie Gold skate as a Senior at Nationals she skates with power and has huge jumps.

Art&Sport

Medalist
Liza still skates like a Junior skater. She's more a jumping bean then anything at the moment. She doesn't cover a lot of ice and her spins are subpar. She has a lot of work to do.

With this I agree somewhat. However, she does have budding artistic skills. She's quite precocious, not just a jumping bean. But I agree, she still has work to do. If she maintains that charm and confidence, along with the jumping skills, she's a contender in the ladies' ranks. INterested to see how the other Russian up-and-comers will fare.

As far as your wholesale "wipe the slate clean" attitude toward U.S. girls, I think Jammers, that you've been spoiled by the one and only Kween!

Mao88

Record Breaker

Yes - Gracie Gold

Liza still skates like a Junior skater. She's more a jumping bean then anything at the moment. She doesn't cover a lot of ice and her spins are subpar. She has a lot of work to do.

I agree her spins still need some work (and a minor back problem she has at the moment may be affecting her in that respect), but everything else apart from the doubled out toe loop was perfect. Should have been in the 120.00s. Her PCS for her free skate of 53.60 was way undermarked

Last edited:

Art&Sport

Medalist
Well the problem seems to be for the american girls landing there jumps more then anything. Flatt used to be consistent but wasn't ever going to be a World champion. I would love to see Gracie Gold skate as a Senior at Nationals she skates with power and has huge jumps.

But Jammers, Gracie is still a junior, and has even more to work on than Elizaveta, IMO. Wow, jenaj's "disappointment" probably equals how much he/she too was spoiled by the Kween!

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
With this I agree somewhat. However, she does have budding artistic skills. She's quite precocious, not just a jumping bean. But I agree, she still has work to do. If she maintains that charm and confidence, along with the jumping skills, she's a contender in the ladies' ranks. INterested to see how the other Russian up-and-comers will fare.

As far as your wholesale "wipe the slate clean" attitude toward U.S. girls, I think Jammers, that you've been spoiled by the one and only Kween!
No just that the US used to always have girls that were contenders. Maybe over 50 years of great US women skaters was bound to come to a end for awhile.

jatale

On the Ice
Totally agree. I like her style. And she has great confidence. I thought she was much more poised than I've seen some of the senior skaters. I love just how calm she was during this whole thing!

Liza was indeed calm and her performance was really good, but she has a HUGE advantage because she is a "tween". When you're young like she is, your whole emotional chemistry is that of a child and the doubts and insecurities etc. that creep into the young adult mind don't plague her yet. Also, she's tiny and weighs almost nothing yet, so her body defies gravity with much greater ease. Don't get me wrong, Liza is a real genuine talent and should have been scored higher than she was, she is an ice-princess and if she survives puberty intact she will be a major player at Worlds in 2013 and the Olympics in 2014. She had two admirable performances at Skate Canada.

The only senior skater in the Grand Prix that can maybe beat her is Mao. Will they be competing before the Grand Prix Final?

Mao88

Record Breaker
Liza was indeed calm and her performance was really good, but she has a HUGE advantage because she is a "tween". When you're young like she is, your whole emotional chemistry is that of a child and the doubts and insecurities etc. that creep into the young adult mind don't plague her yet. Also, she's tiny and weighs almost nothing yet, so her body defies gravity with much greater ease. Don't get me wrong, Liza is a real genuine talent and should have been scored higher than she was, she is an ice-princess and if she survives puberty intact she will be a major player at Worlds in 2013 and the Olympics in 2014. She had two admirable performances at Skate Canada.

The only senior skater in the Grand Prix that can maybe beat her is Mao. Will they be competing before the Grand Prix Final?

No they won't. They can only meet in the Grand Prix if they both make it to the final. Adelina Sotnikova can certainly compete with both of them and she beat Liza at both World Juniors and in the junior grand prix last season

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
No they won't. They can only meet in the Grand Prix if they both make it to the final

And i love Mao and hope for a comeback. But her making GPF is no longer a guarantee -- she hasn't been to GPF since the 2008-2009 when she won.

Iscariot

On the Ice

Not Elizaveta but she will compete with Adelina which will be quite a challenge

brightphoton

Medalist
:eek: :eek: Akiko got gold? Ashley got bronze? My dreams have come true! I am in love with those two.

Mirai, you need to ditch Frank. It's not working out.

burntBREAD

Medalist
I don't know if it's Mirai-Frank, because she only had one underrotation call today. Rather, it was the performance-aspect that REALLY pulled her down. Akiko struggled a bit on her jumps as well but kept SELLING the program.

coolboogie22

Match Penalty
Maybe it's stupid but I love how Liza moves her hands constantly. She is captivating and her style is unique :)