Men's Long Program | Page 8 | Golden Skate

Men's Long Program

Medusa

Record Breaker
Fantastic score for Javi!! That Quad Salchow was out of this world, it looked so easy, I thought it was a Triple at first. This guy could actually go for two Quads in the short.

Serious Business

Record Breaker
I don't get Javier's PCS. I like the guy's skating and all to a point. But his basic skating is so deficient in comparison to the likes of Chan and Takahashi, which should be quite obvious since they skated in a row. And his artistry and other intangibles, while significant, are certainly not even up there with the likes of Rippon and possibly Ten. That PCS for him is a bit crazy. Also, Javier's posture got droopier as the program went on. Not that posture has ever been a consideration in PCS, it seems.

seniorita

Record Breaker
I need a CoP seminar update, really, how many mistakes did Takahashi make to get 153? Chan stepped out, had iffy landings, and fell as well as Dai. Javi had his mistakes as well. ANd dont tell me they did a quad!I would be probably the puzzled goof in the audience if I was there.

Medusa

Record Breaker
Not wanting to bash the Chan, I like him and everything - but he did crash completely on his first Quad Toe, do I remember that correctly? Because he somehow got two -1 among the -3s.

Art&Sport

Medalist
Congs to all medalists! Although no clean LP, a bit disappointing.

Understatement. All the top men (aside from Chan who also had mistakes in his sp), did not live up to their short program excellence. At least overall this comp was better than SA. But, boy, do IJS point-awarding need some rethinking. I was hoping at least Javi would skate clean.

ETA: And as much as I like Javi, I do agree he has yet to develop more polish (the quad, his exuberance, and his new coach are assets for him, I think).
AFter all of that, I still enjoyed Ross' program best of all. A strong Jeremy Abbott with a quad, should have beat everyone here, especially on this night.

Last edited:

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Not wanting to bash the Chan, I like him and everything - but he did crash completely on his first Quad Toe, do I remember that correctly? Because he somehow got two -1 among the -3s.

Yes, but that's fine. The rules state that the GOE for a fall on an element must be negative, and you are to deduct three. So if the quad was landed and the judges were going to give +2, a fall on that same quad is a -1. Most judges just tend to give the -3 though.

skatinginbc

Medalist
If Javier can do two different quads so easily, he probably should try 3 or even 4 quads next time. Then he might have to chance to beat Chan.

Serious Business

Record Breaker

Thank you most kindly!

I need a CoP seminar update, really, how many mistakes did Takahashi make to get 153? Chan stepped out, had iffy landings, and fell as well as Dai. Javi had his mistakes as well. ANd dont tell me they did a quad!I would be probably the puzzled goof in the audience if I was there.

He had two << downgrades on jumps (1 for the 4flip and 1 for the 3axel). So his base marks, to start with, were gutted. Add in all the hand downs on various jumps, and the -GOE adds up. If you have to mess up, it's better to focus your mistakes on fewer elements, or fall on a non-scoring element, as Patrick did. Daisuke just made too many mistakes, including a few costly ones.

Medusa

Record Breaker
I thoroughly enjoyed this evening of skating, there were lots different styles to admire, some fantastic footwork. Yes, there were quite a few mistakes - but also quite a few risks taken, with the attempts of 4 different Quads, with Dai's very complex choreo including out of nowhere jumps, Rippon and Javi with their 2 Triple-Triples in the second half of their programs. I loved it! The scoring wasn't too bad either, I would have liked more PCS for Dai, that's my only problem - but other than that - Thank you guys for an entertaining evening!

5 minutes ago it was 2:59 a.m. and now it's 2:05 a.m.. I love daylight saving time!

Last edited:

apple123

On the Ice
I don't get Javier's PCS. I like the guy's skating and all to a point. But his basic skating is so deficient in comparison to the likes of Chan and Takahashi, which should be quite obvious since they skated in a row. And his artistry and other intangibles, while significant, are certainly not even up there with the likes of Rippon and possibly Ten. That PCS for him is a bit crazy. Also, Javier's posture got droopier as the program went on. Not that posture has ever been a consideration in PCS, it seems.
Second this. Maybe having a Canadian coach helps?

Art&Sport

Medalist
If Javier can do two different quads so easily, he probably should try 3 or even 4 quads next time. Then he might have to chance to beat Chan.

At this rate, no one has a "chance" to beat Mr. lucky blades Chan. Plus, shouldn't Javi try working on his artistry and presentation skills first. I really hate IJS and how the quad takes away from the sport. IJS makes everything more complicated than necessary. If skater is making more than one mistake and falling all over the place, I personally do not care about their blade work or choreo -- their program has been irreparably marred and should not be heavily rewarded. Wow, it's just okay for Chan to breeze through the GP with mistakes galore, why not reward him already with the GPF gold and the World 2012 gold and be done with it?

Last edited:

seniorita

Record Breaker
Yes, but that's fine. The rules state that the GOE for a fall on an element must be negative, and you are to deduct three. So if the quad was landed and the judges were going to give +2, a fall on that same quad is a -1. Most judges just tend to give the -3 though.
yes but that I dont get it in Cop. Generally speaking, how would the judges intend to give +2 for an element that they dont know how it would come of even if the skater landed it, he might have had a step out, hand down etc etc etc..I mean what is the hypothetical +2 for?

Medusa

Record Breaker
At this rate, no one has a "chance" to beat Mr. lucky blades Chan.
Some random Spaniard just got pretty close. Plus you can go through the Skate-Canada archives of the last few years - and there you can read what you just said over and over again. Once or twice I also said that two years ago. But it never really turned out that was, other than last season when he started to complete these insanely perfect programs.