Tuktamysheva: The Views of Frank Carroll | Page 11 | Golden Skate

Tuktamysheva: The Views of Frank Carroll

seniorita

Record Breaker
Why should she be called Elizabeth anyway, make her name in english, is Elisaveta difficult? I dont know any other Queen ELisaveta. :)

Cause there is already one queen elizabeth in europe...:sheesh:

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Please stop calling Elizaveta names like tuk, tak, tut, plushygirl,.. it is understandable that many got very jealous that she is not American, but Russian.
But what did she do TO YOU personally, so you would call her names?
She has beautiful name Elizaveta ( for English speaking would be Elizabeth ), and if you are lazy to white long name, then for shot you can call her Liza.
Sorry didn’t want to offend anyone, but I wouldn’t want myself to be called names and you?
IMHO

It took me two years to learn how to spell Savchenko/Szolkowy. Tuktamysheva is harder. My mother's name is 11 letters (and her last name is 18 letters) long, so even though I've had practice, it's still challenging.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Elizaveta Tuktamysheva

E- LIZA- VETA. So think the letter E, then Liza (like Liza Liza Minnelli) and VETA (as in Vet but with an extra A)
TUKT - AMY - SHE- VA So Queen Tut (but with an extra K), the girls name "Amy", the pronoun "She" and then the spanish word "va" for go! (As she is clearly going places.)

I love coming up with spelling devices. I hope that helps you (and me!)

seniorita

Record Breaker
I can only spell Savchenko from the pair, so it works that since they are a pair S/S seems helpful :D
I find Tuktamisheva easier as having more clear syllables comparing to Schultheiss that I always need to google, for some reason my mind cannot process his name without extra effort!

English is a heavier accented language than most others. It is hard for English speakers to speak several syllables in a row without overly accenting one. For me it helps to run that last part together as one unit: mysheva. Then you can say Took-ta-mycheva pretty easily. (I don't know if this is at all close to the Russian pronunciation. ;) )

What is the longest name in skating?

(Armin) Mahbanoozadeh (Persian, I believe). 13 letters.

(Elena) Gedevanishvili. 14 letters. :)

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Whenever I read/hear Liza I immediately think of Katia and Ilia's daugther... as others have said we have Yags and Plush(y) NavBom, GregPetuk, etc... names get shortened, nicknames are given... it's a way of net speak and [in most cases] is not an insut to the person.

TUKT - AMY - SHE- VA So Queen Tut (but with an extra K),...

If V in Russian translates into B in English (Ekizaveta, Elizabeth), then besides being the queen of Eqypt she can be the Queen of Sheba. :)

Seniorita said:
I find Tuktamisheva easier as having more clear syllables comparing to Schultheiss ...

Ah, German. :) This is a variant of the very common German name Schultz, meaning a local town official like a mayor. The ending is really supposed to be β (es-zet) -- but English doesn't have this letter and it just looks like a beta :) when you write it.

skatinginbc

Medalist
English is a heavier accented language than most others. It is hard for English speakers to speak several syllables in a row without overly accenting one.

I guess what you meant was that English is a stress-timed language, in which stressed syllables come at a roughly constant rate and therefore it's hard for English speakers to pronounce a multisyllabic word without placing a primary stress on one of its syllables. I however would not claim "English is a heavier accented language than most others" as the definition of "accent" also includes pitch accent (as in Ancient Greek, Japanese, etc.), which is absent in English.

seniorita

Record Breaker
I think misspells can happen early in your career :laugh:(that's too many consonants in a row for me), later hopefully we will have to learn her name by her achievements.;) I like how eurosport guys pronounce her.

Last edited:

LeCygne

Final Flight
I think Liza is a very pretty nickname. I'll stick with Liza or Liza T. Queen Tukt sounds a bit harsh for some reason, and as much as I absolutely adore her, it's still a tad early to call her "Queen." :)

Krislite

Medalist
Too early!

Have we ever called queen Lipinski, queen Hughes, or queen Zhang - don't really know?

Don't think so. A "queen" reigns and dominates over her dominion. Liza's not been around long enough in the senior ranks to show domination and rule. If she consistently lands on the podium and frequently gets gold a la Michelle Kwan, then we can start calling her "queen". Lipinski and Hughes were one-hit-wonders (or had such a brief "reign" that they didn't merit the title).

However, I do feel that Liza has the better chance of becoming the new figure skating "queen" than any of the other Russian girls, including Adelina.

sorcerer

Final Flight
About half of the skating fans over here calls her "Tuktamy". I belong in the other half calling her "Liza".

LOL. Before I clicked the link, I thought you were making a terribly au courant reference to a hip hop artist.

skatinginbc

Medalist
Tukta-Misheva or Tuktami-Sheva or Talk-to-me-Sheba?
Tukta/Toktu is a Bulgarian name (e.g., Azan Tukta of the Dulo clan) and Mysheva/Misheva a Slavic one (perhaps from Hebrew Sheva meaning “promise”). The name Tuktamysheva sounds like a Bulgarian-Slavic hybrid to me. As far as nickname is concerned, I secretly call her Toshiba.