Next World Podium-Ladies | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Next World Podium-Ladies

christinaskater

Medalist
Looking at the performances this season:

Mao Asada looks all set to collect her 3rd world title.
Judges and skating fans will obviously root for Carolina Kostner (who I think is one of the strongest contenders for the gold this season)- I think this is it for Carolina. If she has the skate of her life at the upcoming Worlds then she is in a very good spot to win.

Alissa looks like a gold and podium contender, but I would place Akiko Suzuki above her as one of the strongest contenders for the gold and podium spots.

These 4 will bring it!

skateluvr

Record Breaker
While I'm hoping for Mao, Carolina, Akiko and Alissa to do their best at Worlds, in the hypothetical scenario where they all fall apart I'd rather see a younger skater win with a clean, energetic skate than watch headcases battling it out to see who manages to crawl onto the podium with the fewest/least severe mistakes.

I'm not a fan of Miki Ando's competitive skating either, but she definitely deserves credit for being a competent skater who usually lands her jumps when she is focused and well-prepared. It is disappointing (with lots of sympathy, of course) to watch someone of Carolina's calibre sabotage her own chances of winning with her own mistakes for so long. In that sense, I don't think Carolina automatically "deserves" it more than Miki Ando just because she inherently has better overall skating talents that she may or may not display at a competition. :p So...Caro, please bring it!

We just watch skating at the elite level, and to compete like this has to be nerve wracking for normal, sensitive young women and men, many of who are artistic people with artistic temperament. Must we call them head cases when they get nervous as WE ALL WOULD? There is a terrible backlash in society and in my country against the mentally ill. Do you slam a skater when she/he has a foot fracture and avoids a certain jump? Or is skating when physically ill? No, the skater is lauded for bravery. It is no crime to need a sports psychologist or top shrink if that helps. Was Witt the best, or did she compete really well under pressure? Was MK always the best, or did she get points for being "so solid" that the judges could relax.

There are many skaters who quit seniors because they don't have that killer instinct displayed by most OGM winners. These are VERY rare people. Also, Tara was killer at 14. After some bad skates and horrible press would she (or MK for that matter) be such a warrior? Give these ladies a break. It is paradoxical that you have to make your case as a competitor before the skating shows want you. Then, we see them bloom as professionals often, or in some cases (Sarah) bore us to death.

They are all great on the practice ice. Competition in front of millions? No one here could do it. Let's be careful about these labels describing people's psyches as any other 'challenge.'

Last edited:

jiggs

On the Ice
We just watch skating at the elite level, and to compete like this has to be nerve wracking for normal, sensitive young women and men, many of who are artistic people with artistic temperament. Must we call them head cases when they get nervous as WE ALL WOULD? There is a terrible backlash in society and in my country against the mentally ill. Do you slam a skater when she/he has a foot fracture and avoids a certain jump? Or is skating when physically ill? No, the skater is lauded for bravery. It is no crime to need a sports psychologist or top shrink if that helps. Was Witt the best, or did she compete really well under pressure? Was MK always the best, or did she get points for being "so solid" that the judges could relax.

There are many skaters who quit seniors because they don't have that killer instinct displayed by most OGM winners. These are VERY rare people. Also, Tara was killer at 14. After some bad skates and horrible press would she (or MK for that matter) be such a warrior? Give these ladies a break. It is paradoxical that you have to make your case as a competitor before the skating shows want you. Then, we see them bloom as professionals often, or in some cases (Sarah) bore us to death.

They are all great on the practice ice. Competition in front of millions? No one here could do it. Let's be careful about these labels describing people's psyches as any other 'challenge.'

This. Very well said!

bekalc

Record Breaker

There's a difference between a competition "headcase" and a real life headcase. I don't think anyone is saying that there's something truly mentally wrong with "competition headcases". That these athletes are somehow mentally instable or anything like that. People are just saying they are people who don't necessarily have a good head for competition. Being able to go out there and compete well under pressure, takes a special kind of talent. A Killer type of instinct that not necessarily everyone has. Some can be better under pressure over time, but I think the real ability to bring it is in someways perhaps God given.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
I disagree bekalc, as it really is a huge putdown, and these are real people in real life. It's the norm to fall apart under the scrutiny that female skaters receive at the top. Only a few tough nuts can consistently handle the pressure. If you heard a commentator refer to Alissa for exaple as a beautiful but talented head case, he'd get fired. And rightly so. So, I think there are other ways to describe an individual's ability to handle competition nerves.

Wafflecakes

On the Ice
I disagree bekalc, as it really is a huge putdown, and these are real people in real life. It's the norm to fall apart under the scrutiny that female skaters receive at the top. Only a few tough nuts can consistently handle the pressure. If you heard a commentator refer to Alissa for exaple as a beautiful but talented head case, he'd get fired. And rightly so. So, I think there are other ways to describe an individual's ability to handle competition nerves.

Ummm. Its the nature of sports and I really don't think someone would get fired for pointing it out (people say a whole lot worse about athletes in other sports). They pretty much say it anyways but in nicer words.

I agree some types of terminology can be offensive.....but when you are an athlete you should be prepared to be criticized. Real life is not full of Care Bears. A lack of mental toughness and killer instinct is a problem, when you want to be an athlete those attributes are not optional and those that lack them should be criticized.

I also think your comparisons to literal mental illnesses is complete and utter crap and flamebait.

Last edited:

Layfan

Record Breaker
With Yuna and Miki out and the young Russians still ineligible, it is a good year for an American lady to FINALLY get back on the world podium. I hope the world team is Alissa and Mirai and that they skate to the potential with we know they have. At least get the third spot back, pur-leeze.

If Mirai or Alissa skate their best I definitely see them on the podium. I see them beating Alena and Akiko ... just about all of their competitors except Mao and Carolina.

Layfan, I hope you're right about American skaters' chances this season. If we can't muster up a good showing this time, with so many people out of the running, it will be a shame.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Ummm. Its the nature of sports and I really don't think someone would get fired for pointing it out (people say a whole lot worse about athletes in other sports). They pretty much say it anyways but in nicer words.

I agree some types of terminology can be offensive.....but when you are an athlete you should be prepared to be criticized. Real life is not full of Care Bears. A lack of mental toughness and killer instinct is a problem, when you want to be an athlete those attributes are not optional and those that lack them should be criticized.

I also think your comparisons to literal mental illnesses is complete and utter crap and flamebait.

A page of explanation would fall on deaf ears-you're not getting it-so too bad. While we tell our thought on skaters on every level here, "the headcase moniker is hurtful to anyone. Some skaters read these forums.

seniorita

Record Breaker
I dont think Akiko can be beaten easily with the programs and the way she skates the last couple of seasons.

Layfan

Record Breaker
Out of curiosity, why do you think they could beat Akiko but not Mao given that Akiko just beat Mao?

I mean if everyone skates their best. IMO Alissa and mirai would edge out akiko IF they are perfect especially mirai. But I love akiko and I definitely think this could be her year at worlds. I always root for her too. As for Mao I still think she easily beats everyone when she peaks which i hope she does at worlds. And she did win the free skate at NHk so that's a good sign... I wonder what is happening with her 3x though.

Hanaka

Rinkside
As for Mao I still think she easily beats everyone when she peaks which i hope she does at worlds. And she did win the free skate at NHk so that's a good sign... I wonder what is happening with her 3x though.

In K&C at NHK's Ladies' Free Skate, the moment her scores were up, we could hear her say to Mr. Sato, "If I could have put 3A, my scores would be up more."
In an interview after the free skate, she said that she was satisfied with what she had done, but said there was one thing she was sorry about. It was that she couldn't get her 3A ready in time for this competition, but she said she would start working on it and wanted to get it ready for the next competition.

Indeed, as Mr. Sato said, it seems like 3A is more than a jump for her, seems to be her biggest motivation driver.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
I mean if everyone skates their best. IMO Alissa and mirai would edge out akiko IF they are perfect especially mirai. But I love akiko and I definitely think this could be her year at worlds. I always root for her too. As for Mao I still think she easily beats everyone when she peaks which i hope she does at worlds. And she did win the free skate at NHk so that's a good sign... I wonder what is happening with her 3x though.

I think you are wrong here. If everyone skates their best at Worlds this year then the top 3 would be Caroline, Mao, Akiko, with Alissa in 4th and Mirai something around 6th. Akiko scored over 120 points in the LP with 2 major mistakes in her last outing. She would be well over 130 clean. Czisny can not score that high, and I doubt Mirai could either.

Still if Czisny skates clean at Worlds she will medal IMO since no way do all of Mao, Caroline, and Suzuki go clean. Atleast one will falter. Mirai will need multiple people to falter unless she makes her move soon. Her problem is she simply isnt consistent enough to gain more of the judges respect when she finally has her rare good outings.