Carolina Kostner: A wake up call to other skaters to focus more on artistry? | Golden Skate

Carolina Kostner: A wake up call to other skaters to focus more on artistry?

Mao88

Record Breaker
Carolina Kostner: A wake up call to other skaters to focus more on artistry?

The following were the main elements of Carolina Kostner's LP today:-

Carolina Kostner

3Lo
3F - holds onto landing
ChSp
2A
FCSp
2A+2T
3T+2T
3S
3S-three-turn+2T+1T
SlSt
FCCoSp
CCoSp

You will note that there was no triple Lutz and Carolina knows full well that she simply does not have the same jumping ability as some of her rivals. So what does she do? Its quite simple - she focuses on those elements she can do very well and makes sure that she executes them as perfectly as she can. Whilst her programs are filled with the less difficult jumps, she also makes sure that she packs them with very well executed spins (she got level 4's on all of them today), spirals, and step sequences (earning 19.19 today for her spins, spirals, and steps, etc (the non-jump elements) - the highest of the competition). But more importantly, her programs are very well choreographed and presented, with plenty of artistry and speed across the ice. And that is why she got 120.26 today despite a couple of mistakes on her jumps. Look at the PCS she got in her free skate - 63.31! That says it all. There is a lesson in this for other skaters and it is that under COP, you don't have to be the best jumper to be successful and there is a lot of mileage to be gained from injecting more artistry, musicality, better choreography and presentation into a program. Hence, I think more coaches need to take this on board. Carolina is essentially demonstrating this season that jumping ability is not the be all and end all, and that you can still be a winner by focusing on the other elements in figure skating.

Last edited:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker

You will note that there was no triple Lutz and Carolina knows full well that she simply does not have the same jumping ability as some of her rivals. So what does she do? Its quite simple - she focuses on those elements she can do very well and makes sure that she executes them as perfectly as she can. Whilst her programs are filled with the less difficult jumps, she also makes sure that she packs them with very well executed spins (she got level 4's on all of them today), spirals, and step sequences. But more importantly, her programs are very well choreographed and presented, with plenty of artistry and speed across the ice. And that is why she got 120.26 today despite a couple of mistakes on her jumps. Look at the PCS she got in her free skate - 63.31! That says it all. There is a lesson in this for other skaters and it is that under COP, you don't have to be the best jumper to be successful and there is a lot of mileage to be gained from injecting more artistry, musicality, better choreography and presentation into a program. Hence, I think more coaches need to take this on board. Carolina is essentially demonstrating this season and jumping ability is not the be all and end all, and that you can still be winner by focusing on the other elements in figure skating.

The irony is that her early success (2003-2005 era) came on the tech side with her great 3-3 and 3-3-2. It is great to see that she's seeing success by doing a completely different approach.

loren

Rinkside
The irony is that her early success (2003-2005 era) came on the tech side with her great 3-3 and 3-3-2. It is great to see that she's seeing success by doing a completely different approach.

I agree that Kostner has found her way of "winning", but if that technical content is what it's going to take her to be a champion, then....

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I agree that Kostner has found her way of "winning", but if that technical content is what it's going to take her to be a champion, then....

I protested this last year, but today there was no question that she deserved to win. Mirai had harder jumps, but they were tentative and I was not feeling her program. Adelina was also tentative and nervous.

My hopes is that we'll see the 3-3 down the road...once that happens...oh my...

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Kostner scaled back the tech content last season because of an injury, and as it turns out, this worked really well; she became more consistent and as a result, appears much more confident. It used to be that she'd make a mistake and it would be pop, pop, pop on the rest of the jumps. Now she doesn't give up so easily. On the PCS side, her marks are high but hardly insane, and she is very deserving of them; her skating skills have always been fabulous, she has really great programs (Nichol's best work in recent years has been with Kostner, IMO) and she skates them beautifully - she's been more adventurous than some of the ladies with the music choices over the years, and it's paid off as she's grown as a performer.

The ladies field is in transition right now, with young skaters who have the technical goods but can't quite compete on the PCS side yet, and more refined skaters who may not be able to push it technically to the same degree. So Kostner can easily be competitive with the content she has. If we once again have someone who can combine both aspects, she may need to add more difficult elements to enjoy the same level of success. As for other skaters, I think the lesson is not to follow Carolina's example so much as to focus on their strengths and make sure they get the most they can out of every element they do.

BTW, Kostner has not finished off the podium at any event since 2010 Worlds, a level of consistency that many people would have believed impossible even a year ago. Well done to her and I hope she'll continue to be successful; her style is unique and it's great that she's stuck with eligible skating for so long.

evangeline

Record Breaker
I think the success of Carolina's tech content is more indicative of the current state of the ladies' field instead of a clarion call for more emphasis on artistry. Once the variables shift--e.g. Mao gets back on track, Adelina gets her nerves under control and skates more like she did last season, Yu-Na/Miki returns, whatever--the fight for the ladies' podium is going to be considerably more difficult for Carolina.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Jeremy Abbott won COC with PCS with so many quads by most skaters in the competion. And Oda won Silver without a quad. Do many things well, you can win a GP without the hardest jumps. PCS and GOEs are important besides the BV. Worlds and GPF will be different though for Men. For Ladies, it depends much on the Evil Twins factor.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I think the success of Carolina's tech content is more indicative of the current state of the ladies' field instead of a clarion call for more emphasis on artistry. Once the variables shift--e.g. Mao gets back on track, Adelina gets her nerves under control and skates more like she did last season, Yu-Na/Miki returns, whatever--the fight for the ladies' podium is going to be considerably more difficult for Carolina.

Well ideally, Carolina would be able to have her feet under to do the 3Z and maybe a 3-3. Looking at the height of just her 3T-3T, I have no reason to not believe she couldn't bring back her 3F-3T combo.

She could build up to something like this:

3L
3F-3T
ChSp
2A
FCSp
3S
3S-2T-2L
3T
2A
SlSt
FCCoSp
CCoSp

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
It isn't a call to artistry, it's a call to blazing speed, which Carolina has always had. Blazing speed means huge skating skills PCS, and the rest of the components index off it, despite how the rules describe how the marks are to be given.

She can skate even faster if she drops her tech content.

And therefore win.

But not everyone with low tech content but high artistry will do as well, because they won't get Kostner-esque or Lepisto-esque PCS skating skills.

ANW

On the Ice
well you do know the fact judges are always generous towards certain European ladies ;)

btw, I do like the new Caro

You will note that there was no triple Lutz and Carolina knows full well that she simply does not have the same jumping ability as some of her rivals. So what does she do? Its quite simple - she focuses on those elements she can do very well and makes sure that she executes them as perfectly as she can. Whilst her programs are filled with the less difficult jumps, she also makes sure that she packs them with very well executed spins (she got level 4's on all of them today), spirals, and step sequences (earning 19.19 today for her spins, spirals, and steps, etc (the non-jump elements) - the highest of the competition). But more importantly, her programs are very well choreographed and presented, with plenty of artistry and speed across the ice. And that is why she got 120.26 today despite a couple of mistakes on her jumps. Look at the PCS she got in her free skate - 63.31! That says it all. There is a lesson in this for other skaters and it is that under COP, you don't have to be the best jumper to be successful and there is a lot of mileage to be gained from injecting more artistry, musicality, better choreography and presentation into a program. Hence, I think more coaches need to take this on board. Carolina is essentially demonstrating this season that jumping ability is not the be all and end all, and that you can still be a winner by focusing on the other elements in figure skating.

bekalc

Record Breaker
I protested this last year, but today there was no question that she deserved to win. Mirai had harder jumps, but they were tentative and I was not feeling her program. Adelina was also tentative and nervous.

My hopes is that we'll see the 3-3 down the road...once that happens...oh my...

I don't think Mirai had harder jumps. Nagasu had no 3flip in this competition, no 3 salchow, and she did 3flutzs, which she underrotated. While I realliy do think jump content needs to be rewarded more. I find the criticism of Kostner being 3lutz less, while excusing a girl who only attempted 3 types of triples, and only 2 of them were correct attempts, to be frankly unfair.

Kostner can do the 3lutz, and is one of the only few women in the world who can do the 3lutz and the 3flip on correct edges. Its always been a shaky jump for her, and frankly at this point I don't see why she should bother attempting it (although I think they may add in) I find the concept that it was perfectly okay for Ando to win worlds with no 3flip or Kim with no 3loop but we all rag on Kostner's lack of a lutz to be unfair.

Start rewarding bonus points for doing all the triples and maybe someone like Kostner and Ando would see the value of risking it.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I don't think Mirai had harder jumps. Nagasu had no 3flip in this competition, no 3 salchow, and she did 3flutzs, which she underrotated. While I realliy do think jump content needs to be rewarded more. I find the criticism of Kostner being 3lutz less, while excusing a girl who only attempted 3 types of triples, and only 2 of them were correct attempts, to be frankly unfair.

Kostner can do the 3lutz, and is one of the only few women in the world who can do the 3lutz and the 3flip on correct edges. Its always been a shaky jump for her, and frankly at this point I don't see why she should bother attempting it (although I think they may add in) I find the concept that it was perfectly okay for Ando to win worlds with no 3flip or Kim with no 3loop but we all rag on Kostner's lack of a lutz to be unfair.

Start rewarding bonus points for doing all the triples and maybe someone like Kostner and Ando would see the value of risking it.

I totally agree with everything you said! BRAVO!! :rock:

SXTN

Final Flight
I don't think it is even urgent to upgrade her level of difficulty if she gets a 120 for an easy, but clean program. ( Though she plans on doing it as the season progresses).

Look at her practice from Bern last year ( at 5:50 she executed a beautiful triple Lutz, though not included into the LP):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjhJcgNCyG0

In theory she is capable of competing on the same level with Yuna different from Lepisto for example who does relatively easy jump layouts because she cannot do the other jumps.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
There's really no reason she can't/shouldn't score high without a lutz. Both Yuna and Mao didn't do the full array of jumps regularly, so Carolina can do 6 triples like they did. The scoring difference should be minimal.

periperi

On the Ice

:thumbsup:

I do hope to see Carolina landing the triple lutz again though. That is, when her doctor feels it's okay for her to start training that jump again.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker

I guess I meant on paper... But yes, you make a good point.
And I pointed that in the end, Carolina actually beat her in no. of jumps (she did 5 relatively clean, UR triples vs Mirai's 3) and in scoring.
I am definitely on Team Carolina this year. Love both her programs and I really, really dislike Mirai's.

burntBREAD

Medalist
Carolina said herself this year that's she going to progressively add in content as the season goes on, because she wants to skate cleanly first and peak later. The British Eurosport commentators said that she was planning a 3F-3T in her LP. Maybe now that she's guaranteed into GPF, she'll go for more difficult jumps at TEB since really there's nothing to lose?

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Carolina said herself this year that's she going to progressively add in content as the season goes on, because she wants to skate cleanly first and peak later. The British Eurosport commentators said that she was planning a 3F-3T in her LP. Maybe now that she's guaranteed into GPF, she'll go for more difficult jumps at TEB since really there's nothing to lose?

Sounds like a sound strategy. And I would love to see her 3F-3T again. From what I remember of it  it's quite the beaut!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omkV2Za9nws

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I just don't get the buzz about Kostner. She better win Worlds this season because the window is closing fast for her and some of the other older girls like Alissa. Quite frankly i don't want to see her at another Olympics bombing like she has twice already.

gmyers

Record Breaker
Kostner has the high PCS that allows this less is more or regress for success. This is not something that would work for many others. I can't think of a lot. Many wouldn't even think of what Carolina is doing. Her lows are so bad and severe that these clean skates she's doing seem much better than if they were coming from other ladies.