Pairs Short Program Nov 11 2:45 AM EST on IN | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Pairs Short Program Nov 11 2:45 AM EST on IN

FlattFan

Match Penalty
I think I acknowledged her weakness.
I'm just telling you how ludicrous it is to suggest this guy can "win" anything with a different partner.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
No they did the 3T (or 2T), 4Sth (3S), 2A+2ASEQ...look it up except for Olympics when it was changed during warmups, I'm starting to think you know nothing about this pair

They stopped doing 4S throw after the 2009 lp.
At the same time they stopped doing the 3T SEQ.

Look it up, I think you might have selective amnesia.

They did the 4STh at the 2010 world lp. According to you, the other 4-5 LP, they should have done 3T SEQ since the 4S were never planned.

mousepotato

On the Ice
Smirnov's sister just confirmed Yuko dislocated her shoulder yesterday and she was taken to the hospital.

I told you they stopped doing them at the same time because they were to hard to do them both in the same program.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
I told you they stopped doing them at the same time because they were to hard to do them both in the same program.

That's why I told you they weren't doing either in 4-5 LPs in 2009-2010 season.
They only did the 4STh ONCE that season. Where were the 3T SEQs the other times?

mousepotato

On the Ice
That's why I told you they weren't doing either in 4-5 LPs in 2009-2010 season.
They only did the 4STh ONCE that season.Where were the 3T SEQs the other times?

They competed 7 quads in the 07-08 season; 7 quads in the 08-09 season; and 2 quads in the 09-10 season.

When they attemped the quad it was always with a 3T+3T+SEQ but it made them too tired and they were never given a positive GOE even when she landed it so they stopped.

treeloving

Medalist
Just watch T/T and they were brilliance, the transition into death spiral is just WOW! For me, they have the best skate of the night! I prefer their short program style much more than S/S. Their elements except jump were very well executed.

Last edited:

skateflower

Match Penalty
K/S are horrific. I can't truly name any of their elements as high quality. Their twist is the thworst. Their throws have no height or distance and the landings are usually very weak. Those lifts are simply unwatchable. The spins, steps... There is a reason they could no longer get high marks even with relatively 'clean' skate at CoC once the Russian federation decided to abandon them this season. The GOEs on their elements are coming down to earth as it should. A few posters criticize teenagers Sui/Hai for lack of unison. What was the last time we saw multiple world medalists K/S moved in unison ? I would rather watch S/S skate with multiple falls than K/S skate 'clean' with those frentic transitions that have nothing to do with the program.

I dislike T/T. They always crash on big elements but still get some high scores. Their programs are very predicable.

Last edited:

Kinga

Medalist
K/S are horrific. I can't truly name any of their elements as high quality. Their twist is the thworst. Their throws have no height or distance and the landings are usually very weak. Those lifts are simply unwatchable. The spins, steps... There is a reason they could no longer get high marks even with relatively 'clean' skate at CoC once the Russian federation decided to abandon them this season. The GOEs on their elements are coming down to earth as it should. A few posters criticize teenagers Sui/Hai for lack of unison. What was the last time we saw multiple world medalists K/S moved in unison ? I would rather watch S/S skate with multiple falls than K/S skate 'clean' with those frentic transitions that have nothing to do with the program.

I agree. All elements they do are painful to watch. This SP is particularly bad. Moskvina gave them a lovely LPm but I wish they would make it justice...

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
I agree with mousepotato. Time for Smirnov to find a new partner. If someone suiteable and up to his high skill level is available that is. Kavaguti is too inconsistent technically, she is getting old (for a female pair skater) and seems easily injured, and she just isnt pleasant to watch and doesnt match up to his beautiful line and elegance on the ice.

skateflower

Match Penalty
I agree with mousepotato. Time for Smirnov to find a new partner. If someone suiteable and up to his high skill level is available that is. Kavaguti is too inconsistent technically, she is getting old (for a female pair skater) and seems easily injured, and she just isnt pleasant to watch and doesnt match up to his beautiful line and elegance on the ice.

Smirnov is NO Szolkowy. He has those muscles but they are worthless. He has absolutely no core strength. Smirnov has to share a lot of blame on Kavaguti's falls on those throws and those ugly crashy twists. Smirnov could barely handle Kavaguti's tiny body in those lifts. Will he be lucky enough to find another tiny Russian doll like Nodari MAISURADZE who will never grow?

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
I think I acknowledged her weakness.
I'm just telling you how ludicrous it is to suggest this guy can "win" anything with a different partner.

Yeah, and where exactly is Smirnov supposed to find a partner? The only person I can think of who is world level and available in Russia is Mukhortova, and Kavaguti is better than her.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
Smirnov is NO Szolkowy. He has those muscles but they are worthless. He has absolutely no core strength. Smirnov has to share a lot of blame on Kavaguti's falls on those throws and those ugly crashy twists. Smirnov could barely handle Kavaguti's tiny body in those lifts. Will he be lucky enough to find another tiny Russian doll like Nodari MAISURADZE who will never grow?

I said it before and I'm glad others also agree. Errors on a throw result from BOTH partners.
They are equally terrible when it comes to SBS jumps. She fell or he doubled or missed or both.
What's working for them is their coach and their programs. Moskvina isn't stupid. I think she might be the first to get Smirnov to partner up with another girl if it means GOLD for Russia. Clearly, she didn't think he could do better.
This isn't a Mukhortova-Trankov situation. Moskvina and Yuko are definitely not schtupping.

Last edited:

colleen o'neill

Medalist
I was sorry to see Aliona's change of costume.( Boy , I'm tired of seeing her in catsuit type things. They simply don't suit her physique ) I hope she's kept the FP costume .

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
For some reason when you said Aliona, I thought you were talking about Adelina Sotnikova for a second with the catsuit mention. Which made me think that Adelina would actually look really good in tight, black leather. With a whip. I'd like to see her do a catwoman program now.

emma

Record Breaker
Just watched the SP's....and first set of Pairs sp's for me this season. After reading the thread, I thought I would hate them...but I was surprised by how much I liked them; I remain surprised by how much I like D/C together...and their EoE is also to me surprisingly sweet. I miss Caitlyn and want her back....But, they look good together, and she looked lovely in that lavendar dress.

I really think S/S are in a class above - and although I really detest her beige boots (her choice, though), I kind of liked that suit on her. Regardless, she was so high in the air on the throw 3 axel....I couldn't tell what the landing problem was - was she off balance or tilted because it looked like their was room for another rotation.

I have always had mixed feelings about K/S, and I'm sorry to hear that she once again has a dislocated something. I hope she is ok. I really think this program is cool....I especially like the footwork, but the music, her look, the choreograph...it's cool. I hope they can skate it clean next time.

T/T are too cute and the other american pair with the huge height difference also have some nice qualities. anyway...I enjoyed. Off to watch ladies now.

Art&Sport

Medalist
I was sorry to see Aliona's change of costume.( Boy , I'm tired of seeing her in catsuit type things. They simply don't suit her physique ) I hope she's kept the FP costume .

ITA, Aliona looked so much better in the sp outfit she wore at SA. How can we get our thoughts to her??? Please go back to that gorgeous light blue outfit which seemed to have wings. It was light and delicate, which is what she is supposed to be portraying as the Angel. This white legging number with stuff all up around her neck is so way off for the theme, and it seems to weigh her down too. Why in the world, did they think this was better? It just doesn't work. Switch to a white color of the same sp outfit she wore at SA, if she must have white. I do like Szokowy's Demon outfit. They need to get this sp together. They've performed it better in exhibition prior to the start of the season. I can understand them continuing to try for the quad throw (or is it a 3-axel throw), but they need not to let that attempt mess up the rest of the program. Please get the kinks out, my fave pair!!!