Men's Free Program, Sat. Nov. 12 at 10:55 pm EST | Page 7 | Golden Skate

Men's Free Program, Sat. Nov. 12 at 10:55 pm EST

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
For me, Hanyu has the best Men's Long Program this year. I'm hoping Kozuka skates with inspiration at Worlds, though. This is a program that needs to be entirely clean to have full impact and it could be special if he pulls it off. Takahashi's LP I'm not entirely sure about yet. It's good but it doesn't feel entirely personal to him, so it's lacking that element which would put it in the upper echelon.

jazzee4

Rinkside
Ross looks SOOOO happy at the awards ceremony!!

BTW...IN is always live (unless there is a blackout), and you can also watch reruns later.

jettasian

Match Penalty
Anyhow, great that Daisuke won, as expected, but I see that none of the Japanese top dogs (Dai & Takahiko) has been able to land the quad, which means Patrick Chan has no competition whatsoever.
What do you mean Chan has no competition? They just inflated Dai's marks to make it a competition!

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
Buttle's programs actually didn't have as many direct transitions as people make it out to be. What he had was great movement and highlights inbetween the jump elements. In terms of transitions right into jumps it was only like 2 of his jumping passes in his World Championship skate.

Miner's program this year doesn't do much for him. He does have transitions before 3 jumping passes, though, and that amount might increase at Nationals.

According to Official USFSA website, the definition of transitions is:

Transitions/Linking Footwork & Movement
Definition: The varied and/or intricate footwork, positions, movements and holds that link all elements. In singles, pairs and synchronized skating, this also includes the entrances and exits of technical elements.

No one has in this thread said about Buttle's transitions into jumps. Movements in the entrances and exits of jumps are just part of transitions. Nothing wrong with people saying Buttle has a lot transitions, but Miner, even though he did a few before jumping passes, in general is lack of transitions.

FTakahashi's LP I'm not entirely sure about yet. It's good but it doesn't feel entirely personal to him, so it's lacking that element which would put it in the upper echelon.
Not personal?? It's so meditative! Surely all it needs to be in the top echelon is for the jumps to be landed well. I wish he would take Evan's route and drop the dang quad... but (law of averages and fingers crossed as I doubt he'll drop it) surely he will land it sometime!

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
I finally watched Daisuke! He is so awesome! I can't wait to see how good this program is by the end of the season, it will likely blow my mind!

auser

Record Breaker
Yes, like Saint Veronica!

Dai was a rockstar playing the audience. At least he gets that fall out of the way first thing. After that he saved everything even though the jumps were not perfect like yesterday. Oh, I have loved this young man since Olympics 2006. I still remember that fluttery lavender shirt and his musicality. But he has transformed himself.

One thing about him is that he never sleepwalks a program like most of Kozuka's tonight. He gives it his all.

ETA: Buttercup, I didn't like Blues last week but it really grew on me tonight. He really does play this skate like a musician. Amazing.
Perfect characterization SpunSilver. In the early part of the program I was noticing how many beautiful moves he placed within a few spare chords as though extending the depth of their sound.

Last edited:

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
For me, Hanyu has the best Men's Long Program this year. I'm hoping Kozuka skates with inspiration at Worlds, though. This is a program that needs to be entirely clean to have full impact and it could be special if he pulls it off. Takahashi's LP I'm not entirely sure about yet. It's good but it doesn't feel entirely personal to him, so it's lacking that element which would put it in the upper echelon.

I beg to differ about Hanyu. While I love Takahashi's program and have from the start, Hanyu's puts me to sleep (actually, it doesn't matter the program, just the skater :p).

FTnoona

Final Flight
This is my first time seeing Kozuka's FS and I like it. The music is very calming. I really liked the first footwork sequence it would look really good if he performed it a bit more. I just can't get myself to like Daisuke's program b/c the music sounds so odd to me. Probably after a few more listens it'll grow on me. The one thing I really dislike from Daisuke is that ugly forward outside edge camel.....

herios

Medalist
Whoa, Dai's PCS!

I'm good with it, though. I still hate Blues for Klook, but he skated beautifully.

I do not hate Blues for Klook, but I thought nobody could skate with credibility to match the difficult beat of that music. However, Dai managed to do an awesome job tonight He was glorious most of his program. Except the first and last jump, all were superb and the rest was just to die for.
And the PCS's are not that high. If Chan gets 9+ for PE,IN, CH, so does Dai.

A.H.Black

Final Flight
I wish Takahashi would put some effort into improving the speed and power of his spins. They could be better.

That said, I cannot say enough about how much I like this free program. Unlike some other posters, I have always liked Blues for Klook. I'm glad to hear it again and I think it suits Takahashi to a tee. It is rare for me to see a program as a natural whole. I am always looking for individual elements. With this program I didn't even notice the jumps, and footwork being individual elements. They were all part of a whole. The program builds and the elements come together to interpret the music - each element adding another exclamation point and another goose bump. I really like this program.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
I do not hate Blues for Klook, but I thought nobody could skate with credibility to match the difficult beat of that music. However, Dai managed to do an awesome job tonight He was glorious most of his program. Except the first and last jump, all were superb and the rest was just to die for.
And the PCS's are not that high. If Chan gets 9+ for PE,IN, CH, so does Dai.
Oh, the LOLsiness of the poster upthread who thought Dai's marks are being inflated to that he could compete with Chan. I think Dai deserves his IN and P&E 9s far more than Patrick, whose strengths lie more in the technical part of the PCS (SS/TR). I'm really enjoying toned-down Dai this season; there have been times in the past when I felt he was overdoing it with the expression, but this year it's just perfect. Kudos to David Wilson and Pasquale Camerlengo for giving him two excellent vehicles that showcase what he can do. I think the judging here sends a clear message to the guys: bring your A-game if you want to compete with Takahashi.

And congrats to Miner! I hadn't realized he was the bronze medalist, what a wonderful accomplishment for him! :clap:

I hope Verner takes whatever time is needed to recover from his back injury. I'm glad he pulled himself out of the standings basement, but surely he remembers what happened two years ago when he pushed himself while medically unfit? Take a break, Tomas, and come back strong when it matters.

treeloving

Medalist
Oh, the LOLsiness of the poster upthread who thought Dai's marks are being inflated to that he could compete with Chan. I think Dai deserves his IN and P&E 9s far more than Patrick, whose strengths lie more in the technical part of the PCS (SS/TR). I'm really enjoying toned-down Dai this season; there have been times in the past when I felt he was overdoing it with the expression, but this year it's just perfect. Kudos to David Wilson and Pasquale Camerlengo for giving him two excellent vehicles that showcase what he can do. I think the judging here sends a clear message to the guys: bring your A-game if you want to compete with Takahashi.

:rock:

While many skate through the music, Dai truely capture the soul of blue in his performance! If this doesn't deserve good IN, what should?

Last edited:

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
Congratulations, Daisuke! He went all out to express it. I still hate his wrists but he was truly musical. Well done!:thumbsup: