Men's Free Program, Sat. Nov. 12 at 10:55 pm EST | Page 11 | Golden Skate

Men's Free Program, Sat. Nov. 12 at 10:55 pm EST

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
Joe, welcome back! And hope you a speedy recovery!

Maybe I just don't get Chan, but I don't even think he's in the same league as Takahashi. Yes, he has the quad, but in everything else, Takahashi is superior. As the commentator said, he performs while others just compete.

No, he is not.;) Chan has three quads. Takahashi has only one URed or DGed. How can you say they are in the same league?:laugh:

I have no problem with Takahashi's scores. He did one of his best. And that was what he could get. Chan must be on his best form and skate all he could to get on the top. There are 3 or 4 skaters could easily dethrone him if he is not in his best. It's difficult to be the best all the time. So I'm not surprised if he's beaten in some competitions.

I watched NBC this afternoon. Takahashi was truly amazing! Made me, who disliked this program very much at first sight, glued onto his performance. It was one of his best programs.

So far Kozuka is disappointing. Life-less performance.

Very sad for Mroz. Amazed by Miner's bronze. Never liked him.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I watched NBC this afternoon. Takahashi was truly amazing! Made me, who disliked this program very much at first sight, glued onto his performance. It was one of his best programs.

I had the same reaction - which makes me wonder if this is one of those programs that only works when it's skated close to perfection.

auser

Record Breaker
I am out of the hospital now, and able to catch up with some figure skating. There should be no question about Dai. He was the winner. His style is fully developed, and at NHK he was the best. After 7 years of watching him grow (Worlds 2004) his performance at NHK showed an easy going skate. He is worthy of star billing in an Ice Show.
Hi Joe. Glad you are feeling better. Enjoyed your previous posts, looking forward to your future insights. Best wishes to you.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
I had the same reaction - which makes me wonder if this is one of those programs that only works when it's skated close to perfection.
That's an interesting observation, and at first I thought that was exactly it. But he wasn't close to perfection at NHK. I think maybe it's more about how comfortable Dai felt with the program; it is a departure from his usual music choices, and maybe it took time for him to warm up to it and really commit to the choreography and the performance? Or maybe having a cleaner skate did help with the timing and focus. I really don't know.

I still don't like the music, but I can't deny he expressed it beautifully.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

I don't care for the music "Blues for Klook," but there's no denying that Daisuke was totally committed to the program and skated it magnificently.

Joe, welcome back. Glad you're feeling better.

Congrats to Taka and Ross!!! :biggrin:

Last edited:

hikki

Final Flight
Country
Japan
That's an interesting observation, and at first I thought that was exactly it. But he wasn't close to perfection at NHK. I think maybe it's more about how comfortable Dai felt with the program; it is a departure from his usual music choices, and maybe it took time for him to warm up to it and really commit to the choreography and the performance? Or maybe having a cleaner skate did help with the timing and focus. I really don't know.

Daisuke said before Gala: "I knew I wanted to get out of my comfort zone. So I asked Mr Camerlengo to decide and said I'd happy with whatever he chooses. When he chose this piece I really thought nooooooo but I had to stick to my words!"

Also after the Gala in a news program he said he's just performing the way he feels, and he still doesn't 'get' the music yet but it's work in progress.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
hikki, thanks for telling us about how Dai chose his program. If that is a work in progress, I hate to think what other skater's programs should be called. Dai is amazing.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Does anyone have a link to the Men's Medal Ceremony? I would love to see it!

Layfan

Record Breaker
^ I think that is the point. Chan competes. He is an expert in everything the ISU scoring system rewards. Baryshnikov choreographed by Balanchine would not get higher marks than Patrick in Skating Skills and Transitions, or in GOEs for his triple flip (Baryshnikov's goes off a flat. :) )

Takahashi should just forget all that and do his own thing. A champion never re-acts to what the other guy is doing. A champion does.

You got yours, I got mine. Come on. :yes:

hmmm. i don't know if that is exactly right. of course it is true that dai performs but that is precisely the point - that is him competing and using what he has that others don't. also he won't give up on the quad, which tells me that he is very into the competition side of things. his strategy seems to be that he will keep going for it but refuses to be derailed if he falls. he obviously has seen that he can still medal if he doesn't give up on the rest of the program. i imagine that he also knows he can't beat a clean chan without the quad...

anyway. splitting hairs probably.

i am thrilled for him and for ROSS!! i do really appreciate ross's style.

is it just me or does it seem like there are fewer 3x3 among the men this year? if so why is that? 3x2x2 combos are just not as exciting.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Thank you:biggrin:, I would never recognise it is the same music though, I have small memory of the program but I remember her.

I m catching up with the Lp, Dai was fantastic, his pcs are wow, but i dont care. He is the king.
Takahiko with mistakes, I didnt even notice them, I love this program.
Btw when I saw the results I thought this must have been a serious splatfest, so I havent watched the rest but congrats to Miner.

Joe welcome back and I hope you get well very very soon! :)

If you search this music on YouTube, a lot of skaters have used it, especially in exhibitions. Lucinda Ruh skated to in in her gold bodysuit. Yagudin also skated to it in an exhibition.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker

he was a lot closer than the last time I saw it - I don't believe in the perfect program. Something can always be done better.

jettasian

Match Penalty
Takahashi's scores will likely drop substantially if he doesn't skate clean and the competitions are held in other countries. Skate Canada and NHK have been notorious in terms of inflating host countries' skaters' scores.

In terms of Chan, his scores have been always inflated, much more than Takahashi's.

You think Chan's 93 world short program was inflated much more than Dai's 90 short program? Chan's SC LP was much more inflated than Dai's NHK LP?

Jettasian, since you've been constantly stating that Daisuke's marks were inflated at this competition, can you please specifically state on which areas/on which elements do you think he was inflated in? I'm not asking you to do this because I'm trying to be snarky, I'm genuinely curious to understand the rationale behind your statements and I think it will make for a very enlightening discussion.

I don't need at every element of the score. I just look at the overall as mentioned above.

jettasian

Match Penalty
Maybe I just don't get Chan, but I don't even think he's in the same league as Takahashi. Yes, he has the quad, but in everything else, Takahashi is superior. As the commentator said, he performs while others just compete.

This is a competition, not Star on Ice. As for Chan's not in the same league as Tak, that's definitely your own view because I'm sure many will disagree with that statement.