Men's Free Program, Sat. Nov. 12 at 10:55 pm EST | Page 8 | Golden Skate

Men's Free Program, Sat. Nov. 12 at 10:55 pm EST

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Poor Kozuka. While judges have been quite generous with PCS this season, Kozuka is not one of the beneficiaries. Now he has a PCS spread of 10 points with Takahashi. :eek:

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
No one has in this thread said about Buttle's transitions into jumps. Movements in the entrances and exits of jumps are just part of transitions.

I know. I was just pointing out how it's unfair to say Miner is "lacking transitions big time". He puts more transitions directly before and after jumps than Buttle did, which means there is less time in the program for other movements. He has 3 transitions directly into jumping passes in comparison to Buttle's 2 (for that World Championship winning program) and he has 4 transitions directly out of jumping passes in comparison to Buttle's 1. The CoP rules on paper say that transitions which come directly before and after jumps are worth the most points, so people sadly tend to focus mostly on those and less on the choreography as a whole. If the judges scored the components correctly then skaters wouldn't be structuring their programs like that, but this is another discussion.

Miner does have other transitional movements between elements too, though. Notice the steps partway between the Triple Axel and the first Lutz pass, the crossroll and hop that come before a mini-step sequence that precedes his final jumping pass, the steps with his arms behind his back in the second half of the program at some point after the Salchow, and the turns leading up to his 3Loop entrance.

There are plenty of transitions in Miner's program, they just don't have much choreographic/interpretative impact and aren't performed with enthusiasm. So, again, the brilliance in Buttle's skating was not necessarily in the number of transitions but rather in how effective his transitions were.

Last edited:

A.H.Black

Final Flight
I had forgotten where I heard Fantasia for Nausicaa by Joe Hisaishi (Kozuka's FS) before. Chen Lu (as she was known then) used the orchestral version in 1993 for her free skate.

herios

Medalist
Oh, the LOLsiness of the poster upthread who thought Dai's marks are being inflated to that he could compete with Chan. I think Dai deserves his IN and P&E 9s far more than Patrick, whose strengths lie more in the technical part of the PCS (SS/TR). .

That is exactly it!

koheikun90

On the Ice
If some of you are hardcore gymnastics fans, blues for klook was the floor exercise music used by Silivia Mitova of Bulgaria in the early 90's. It was so revolutionary and groundbreaking at the time and remains one of the most iconic routines of all time. There is really no other performer whether a gymnast, skater or dancer that can interpret this music other than daisuke. he really oozes the attitude and vibe that this piece resonants. It shows that the scoring system is no excuse to not put out program that is innovative and edgy and above all a performance. I can't wait to see him skate it cleanly.This could be on my list of one greatest programs in history.

fscric

On the Ice
Wahoooo! Daisukeuuuuw! Oooooooh Yeaaaah!

Right now, I say give Dai Worlds gold! Abbott, silver; Let Chan and the others (Brezina, Kozuka, etc.) battle it out for bronze and 4th.

That's mighty generous of you to let Chan compete for bronze or 4th, shouldn't he be behind even Adam Rippon?

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
Poor Kozuka. While judges have been quite generous with PCS this season, Kozuka is not one of the beneficiaries. Now he has a PCS spread of 10 points with Takahashi. :eek:

Kozuka's ambition in quad doesn't work out well so far. He URed all three of his quad attempts this season. One fell and one two-footed. Then he took it out in SP this time. It hurt his PCS.

Medusa

Record Breaker
Kozuka's ambition in quad doesn't work out well so far. He URed all three of his quad attempts this season. One fell and one two-footed. Then he took it out in SP this time. It hurt his PCS.
When Kozuka approaches his Quad he looks like he always does: soft, fluent, gentle over the ice - he never gets the height (in contrast to his 3A which can be pretty high) necessary to actually make the rotations. And I think he knows that, hence his admiration of Plushenko in 2009 when he witnessed how Plushenko went into his jumps.

Congrats to the medallist, Dai's program is a masterpiece.

auser

Record Breaker
If some of you are hardcore gymnastics fans, blues for klook was the floor exercise music used by Silivia Mitova of Bulgaria in the early 90's. It was so revolutionary and groundbreaking at the time and remains one of the most iconic routines of all time. There is really no other performer whether a gymnast, skater or dancer that can interpret this music other than daisuke. he really oozes the attitude and vibe that this piece resonants. It shows that the scoring system is no excuse to not put out program that is innovative and edgy and above all a performance. I can't wait to see him skate it cleanly.This could be on my list of one greatest programs in history.
Thank you for the info about Blues for Klook. I wasn't familiar with this music until recently, but have been interested in other posters strong reactions to it.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Congratulations to Dai he is an incredible athlete and artist.

Good for Ross pulling up for the Bronze, he must be thrilled first GP medal.
I have to give a shout out for the Boston boy, well done.

Congrats to Taka for winning the Silver.

I have only watched Dai's FS so far and WOW.

I am out of the hospital now, and able to catch up with some figure skating. There should be no question about Dai. He was the winner. His style is fully developed, and at NHK he was the best. After 7 years of watching him grow (Worlds 2004) his performance at NHK showed an easy going skate. He is worthy of star billing in an Ice Show.

Oh btw, there is no such nomenclature as Free Skate. It is called the Long Program. There are much too many restrictions to call it a Free Program. The judges decide on the entire program, and not just what is perceived as artistry.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Welcome back Joe, glad that you are out of hospital and back home. It is not the same around here
without you, I have missed reading your posts. :)

Wait! Daisuke won? Yippee! I'll try to catch his free skate--sorry, Joe, long program--later today. How splendid. And it's great that he landed the quad in practice. Today in practice, tomorrow in competition!

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Oh btw, there is no such nomenclature as Free Skate. It is called the Long Program. There are much too many restrictions to call it a Free Program. The judges decide on the entire program, and not just what is perceived as artistry.

You don't see much "free" skating under COP, but I thought Takahashi skated his LP as freely as possible under the constraints of the judging system at this competition. BTW, the ISU still calls it free skating on the results web page.

wallylutz

Medalist

Sorry Joe, you got the actual nomenclature reversed. ISU calls it Free Skate(Skating), see the Technical Panel Handbook.

ISU said:
A well balanced Free Skating program must contain two Step Sequences of a different nature for Senior Men and one Step Sequence for Senior Ladies & Junior Men & Ladies. The competitors have complete freedom in selecting the kind of step sequence they intend to execute. Jumps can also be included in the step sequence. However the step sequence must fully utilize the ice surface. Step sequences too short and barely visible cannot be considered as meeting the requirements of a step sequence.
For Senior Men the second (in the order of execution) step sequence will always be awarded a fixed Base value, called a choreographic step sequence and evaluated by Judges in GOE only. This sequence can have any pattern while fully utilizing the ice surface.