What holiday foods do you HAVE to have? | Golden Skate

What holiday foods do you HAVE to have?

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
What foods say' 'It's the holidays" at your house? For me it has too be standing rib roast and orange, avocado, red onion, and boston lettuce salad with orange vinagrette and candied almonds for Christmas dinner.Streusal brioche pecan sticky buns and ham for Christmas breakfast. For desserts white chocolate, toasted coconut, and almond yule log cake, flourless bittersweet chocolate torte with raspberry sauce, baklava, cheesecake with cranberry glaze, Old Dominion pound cake with brandied peaches, and pecan pie. We HAVE to have ALL of the desserts to keep everyone happy, as well as to help support the makers of Lean Cuisine for the next three months.

Piel

Kara Bear

Final Flight
We do fondu Christmas Eve, have a home grown turkey the next day and for New Year's its ham and yule log. With lots of various sweets in between. My fav...shortbread cookies. Yum!

heyang

Record Breaker
Now, I'm hungry.

No particular food = holiday for me. It's really about being with the extended family and friends. The communal feast is always yummy.

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Piel, I think I gained 5 pounds reading your thread. I'm half Italian (the other half Finnish, go figure), and we always have some sort of pasta, along with tri-tip roast.........definitely not a traditional meal.........42

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
Would you believe that we always go out for Mexican food on Christmas afternoon? Would you believe that El Torrito is always very busy on that day? One year we decided that we felt left out of the actual Christmas day celebrations, so we started our own tradition. We usually follow it up with a drive to La Jolla to walk along the water, and it is VERY crowded there as well! :D

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
RGal.........we always have Mexican food on New Year's Day....love it, love it..........( I think you have to live in Calif. to appreciate Mexican food on a holiday)........:p 42

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Show, I'm part Italian too (other half Scots). Do you do all of the fish dishes on Christmas Eve? We usually manage three or four after midnight mass...of course there is no bad time for pasta (and Mexican:) ). I love to cook! hate to clean up after myself though.:D

Rgal I envy you being able to go to the beach. I would kill to live near the ocean. Never thought that I would want to give up having four distinct seasons. It's very cold and damp here now and we are expecting snow tomorrow...San Diego weather is sounding REAL good about now!

Piel

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
OK, now you're bragging!!!:laugh: :D :laugh: Even with the earthquakes, fires, and all California seems to be the perfect place to live.

Piel

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
My grandmothers always make gefilte fish on holidays. Not the kind you buy at the supermarket, but with bones left there for extra flavor.