Ice Dance - Free Dance | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Ice Dance - Free Dance

katia

On the Ice
@Flat Fan

S/S were held down....they should have won.
ups, but they won, didn't they?

100yen

You can't explain witchcraft
Medalist
whole post

Beautifully written :) It's the evolution of a team before our eyes with a champion mentality. We know they're not going to take this medal and rest with it, they're going to go out there and train even harder now.

:clap:

Also....I love Rilakkuma-head Alex!! :rofl: He even carried it to their interview.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
@Flat Fan

S/S were held down....they should have won.
ups, but they won, didn't they?

One could argue that even the winners were held down. They should win by a larger margin. W/P shouldn't even come close to them in the SP and LP.

cassiem

On the Ice
Tell me which teams are original.
Technical ability should reflect in skating skill. S/S's SS is lower than the other two teams. They are being held down, it looks like.
Technical ability as in ability to execute the technical elements (twizzles, lifts, and spins). That doesn't necessarily mean they have the deepest edges. I/K's program had more originality than that paint-by-numbers program by the Shib's.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
That said, I think W/P did a great job tonight. They should be proud of that program, especially holding it together with the twizzles. When it was over, I knew it would be close.

Oh, I/K. They pick such great music but then the execution is off. I felt the same way for Don Quioxte last year. I don't know, Elena, again, seems to be the majority of the mileage for this team.

jcoates

Medalist
Held up where? In PCS? Oh wait, W/P scored nearly two points more than them. And the Russians scored a point higher. In tech? Hardly. Despite winning, they still left points on the table with a level 2 element and a level 3 element.

Also "again?" Sorry I don't call losing the gold by 14 points to B/S in CofC being held up "again."

Plus they lost a point for an extended lift in the SD, so the deductions were a wash. I/K were very unsteady in places and that program is waaaay too open and lacking in difficult transitions. She is gorgeous, but I feel like they depend far too much on her looks than on precision and execution.

auser

Record Breaker
Good point. But still, I didn't see them getting held up in CoC either. In fact they scored worse than they did in Finlandia and that was with a better FD, imo.
I didn't see Finlandia comp, but will look for a video. Did you mean that this FD was skated better there, or is it a different program?

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Plus they lost a point for an extended lift in the SD, so the deductions were a wash. I/K were very unsteady in places and that program is waaaay too open and lacking in difficult transitions. She is gorgeous, but I feel like they depend far too much on her looks than on precision and execution.

This sounds terrible, but I can't help feeling that Nikita is sort of a prop for Elena. He just is kind of there...ready to show her off, you know?

wallylutz

Medalist
Looking at the protocol, I note that judges gave W/P higher GOE and PCS over S/S. In other words, in the judges' minds, they had W/P first over S/S but due to the level on one element, which was the spin, a 2.00 difference in base value resulted in S/S being ahead. They were also helped by a 1.00 deduction for extended lift, which was again, not decided by the judges. To me, W/P had the performance of the night but their error on the spin was glaring, which I noticed as well - just didn't realize the penalty was that severe, a wopping 2.00 points on that element alone because elsewhere, their levels are identical to that of the Shibs.

Regarding I/K, there was no question in mind that FD is below both W/P and S/S today. It was very, very obvious - way too much SBS skating and separations. Their in-between skating lacks intricacy. The lifts weren't terribly original and at times shaky. They had a good lead yet they blew it. I like the fact that judges are calling it as they see it, this should give the conspiracy theorists a rest.

Overall, I am not sure what to take away from this competition. I feel they are all bunched fairly close together from 4th to about 8th in the world and these scores reflect that. In other words, a difference 1 or 2 points could determine a team finishing 4th in Nice or 8th instead yet getting the former vs. the latter is a big deal. Should make for a pretty exciting season to follow, I look forward to the GPF. Congratulations to all the medalists, job well done.

katia

On the Ice
I disagree with your opinion that S/S were held down.
And that S/S are sooo much better then W/P

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
:laugh: Thanks for telling me! You don't feel the same way about him, do you?

No, almost the opposite. He tends to be a little bit of a headcase - he tends to make a mistake and then lets it get to him, thus making more mistakes. In fact, the biggest surprise for me is that he actually does well with the SD this season - he really projects a confident sexuality, something he (despite the fact that he's an obviously fine specimen of the human race) finds challenging. I've actually wanted her to give up a bit of her diva to him. He needs to be more a Peizarat or Ovsiannikov (aka, easily able to handle a scene stealer) than he is. I don't think they're necessarily mismatched, but I watch every skate paranoid he'll screw up.

But I don't really love them either. I'm happier that they made the GPF because they'll need more mileage on these programs in a competitive environment.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
Technical ability as in ability to execute the technical elements (twizzles, lifts, and spins). That doesn't necessarily mean they have the deepest edges. I/K's program had more originality than that paint-by-numbers program by the Shib's.

so do IK have deeper edge? WP?

gmyers

Record Breaker
Z/G were six points behind the top 3 teams in PCS. That's where the horrible crap programs of S/S should be. They PCS is losing but way too high for such crap. They are bing held up because they are a Spiliband team and train with DW and VM so they must be near their level! They are getting the benefit of the doubt even though two seasons in a row now they have delivered the exact same trash and garbage programs.

evangeline

Record Breaker
This sounds terrible, but I can't help feeling that Nikita is sort of a prop for Elena. He just is kind of there...ready to show her off, you know?

Perhaps he is the stem, and she is the flower....?

Or they could be following in the grand ol' footsteps of Barbara Fusar-Poli and Maurizio Margaglio.