I hope Joannie Rochette wins this one | Page 2 | Golden Skate

I hope Joannie Rochette wins this one

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
As I mentioned, I have only seen her skate ONCE, so I can hardly make a blanket assessment of her skating. All I am saying is that in that one performance, I was not impressed. I just didn't see that grace and elegance of the whole body that I have seen in skaters like Sasha or Baiul. Those types of skaters have a kind of fluidity that flows throughout their entire bodies. It's hard to explain beyond that. It's not a case of "nice arms" or "clean jumps". There's a kind of connection and flow throughout the body, and I just didn't see it in that one performance. Also, I like to reserve statements like "greatest skater of her generation" to those who have a few international medals under their belt. If you post statements like that on a message board, that's just fine--just expect someone to come along and say "I don't see it".

shine

Record Breaker
I agree with you about Baiul, but I don't see what fluidity Sasha Cohen has in her movemet. Ultra extension, sure. Fluidity? That's what belongs to Rochette. Her movement just flows from the music and reaches its natural end as the music dictates, instead of the generic, vertical and rigid way in which Cohen moves.

Last edited: