Skater Mervin Tran mulls turning Japanese | Golden Skate

Skater Mervin Tran mulls turning Japanese

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Canadian Mervin Tran is considering becoming the next figure skater to change nationality for the Olympics after bagging a medal for Japan in the pairs at the Grand Prix NHK Trophy.

More

skatinginbc

Medalist
"Japan's immigration law rules out dual nationality, meaning he would have to give up his Canadian citizenship."

Oh, no. Don't give up Canadian citizenship. One hundred NOs.
Why not switch to Canada, which recognizes dual citizenship? She doesn't have to give up her Japanese citizenship.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Tran would have to 'renounce' his Canadian citizenship to become Japanese.

Yuko Kawaguchi (now Kavaguti) lost her Japanese citizenship when she obtained Russian citizenship for the 2006 Olympics, because Japan does not recognize dual citizenship. If Narumi applied for Canadian citizenship, she would lose her Japanese citizenship.

It makes some kind of sense for Tran to become Japanese, because they are Japan's only pair team, but I don't see the point of Narumi losing her Japanese citizenship---there are many top-level pairs teams and there's no guarantee T/T would get an Olympic berth.

Last edited:

skatinginbc

Medalist
Bad laws! I hope there will be no such thing as "citizenship" or "country" one day. We are all citizens of the world.

chloepoco

Medalist
Bad laws! I hope there will be no such thing as "citizenship" or "country" one day. We are all citizens of the world.

That would be nice, but it won't be happening in our life time!

I hope the citizenship issue doesn't break Takahashi and Tran up! They seem so perfectly suited for each other.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Japanese citizenship is one of the hardest to obtain and easiest to lose in the world, no doubt due to the high population on scarse land and rocky mountains. It demonstrates the will and ambition of Yuko K to switch to Russian citizen in pursuit of her dream.

My understanding is that in case of one country recognizing only one citizenship, a person has to give up another citizenship to, say, Japan. However, the other country, say, Canada, does recognize dual citizenship so a person taking up Japanese citizenship will still be a Canadian citizen to the Canadian government. It was the case with the US which did not recognize dual citizenship so quite often an athlete took up another citizenship for representation, but did not lose the citizenship with the US which simply did not recognize the other citizenship of the athlete. OTOH, a Japanese citizenship is surely lost, likely forever, if a Japanese takes up another citizenship. There was a breakup of a very promising Canadian/Japanese Pair because she would not give up her Japanese citizenship and returned to her homeland.

I'm not sure how it works with Canada now or about Tran having to renounce Canadian citizenship, which is one of the most preferred and valuable in the world.

Last edited:

prettykeys

Medalist
Tran should turn Japanese just for the Olympics then return to Canada and regain his citizenship whenever he wants since it's dirty-easy to get.

CARA

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Japanese citizenship is one of the hardest to obtain and easiest to lose in the world, no doubt due to the high population on scarse land and rocky mountains....

While Japan is still densely populated and liveable land is scarse, the population trajectory is in the declining direction. As you know the birth rate for replacing the actual population is two children per couple. Japanese reproductive rate is below two children per couple for decades, meaning the Japan's population is declining. Japan is also the oldest society in the world with acute shortabe of health care personnels. It has importing many nurses from mainly other southasian countries, e.g., Korea, Philipine. Many foreign health care workers wish to stay in Japan, but the difficulty in obtaining citizenship circumstances remain.

I hope Japan truly reconsider the citizenship requirments given the reality of its population trends. Seriously considering ways to accomodate Tran's citizenship application might be as good a place to start as any. I approve. ;)

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Japan has just about the highest proportion of aging population, having also the highest longevity. The men have been importing brides from other Asian countries because Japanese women have been "boycotting" marriage and bearing children, a natural outcome of them catching up financially and career wise yet with the institution of mariage being a really lousy deal for women. But for now, it's still an overpopulated country and it can afford foreign labor it needs without granting citizenships. Sort of like the illegal immigrant workers in the US, providing much needed labor without many benefits of belonging. Too bad a special worker like an Olympian does need the official citizenship.

jettasian

Match Penalty
Tran should turn Japanese just for the Olympics then return to Canada and regain his citizenship whenever he wants since it's dirty-easy to get.

I'm sorry. If I make the law, that'd not happen. I will never let anyone to turn their back on the country, and then come back.

Canada is too easy, that's the problem that everyone likes to take advantage of.

I just don't understand these pairs thing, I mean, with a country with so many people, they can't find a partner in their own country? Didn't they know that skating with another person from another country will be a problem eventually?

I know I'm harsh, but if anyone wants to leave the country, leave, but don't come back.

CARA

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Japan has just about the highest proportion of aging population, having also the highest longevity. The men have been importing brides from other Asian countries because Japanese women have been "boycotting" marriage and bearing children, a natural outcome of them catching up financially and career wise yet with the institution of mariage being a really lousy deal for women. But for now, it's still an overpopulated country and it can afford foreign labor it needs without granting citizenships. Sort of like the illegal immigrant workers in the US, providing much needed labor without many benefits of belonging. Too bad a special worker like an Olympian does need the official citizenship.

^:yes: That's the reality of Japanese society. Political system changes slowly; but keep pushing for change is the only way to change. After all, population trend is destiny. ;)

CARA

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I'm sorry. If I make the law, that'd not happen. I will never let anyone to turn their back on the country, and then come back.

Canada is too easy, that's the problem that everyone likes to take advantage of.

I just don't understand these pairs thing, I mean, with a country with so many people, they can't find a partner in their own country? Didn't they know that skating with another person from another country will be a problem eventually?

I know I'm harsh, but if anyone wants to leave the country, leave, but don't come back.

I can understand your sentiment. BTW, should Paul Poirier have found his partner in CANADA, rather than teaming up with Piper Gilles? :think:
Come to think about it, I wonder if Andrew Poje might still be looking for someone like Weaver in Canada had he chose not to team up with her? :rolleye:

Last edited:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I can understand your sentiment. BTW, should Paul Poirier have found his partner in CANADA, rather than teaming up with Piper Gilles? :think:
Come to think about it, I wonder if Andrew Poje might still be looking for someone like Weaver in Canada had he chose not to team up with her? :rolleye:

Who was there in Canada at the appropriate level of skating to team up with Poirier or Poje at the time? The US was willing to release Gilles and Weaver since neither had medaled internationally.

Since Canada and the US both allow dual citizenship, no one had to give up anything. :rolleye:

CARA

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Who was there in Canada at the appropriate level of skating to team up with Poirier or Poje at the time? The US was willing to release Gilles and Weaver since neither had medaled internationally.

Since Canada and the US both allow dual citizenship, no one had to give up anything. :rolleye:
Wonder if they made different choices had both countries prohibited dual citizenship.

I suppose stakes are much higher if you have to abdicate your own citizenship. Tran is thinking about doing so, and I believe his decision should be respected.

Last edited:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
From what I understand, it takes a LONG time to get Japanese citizenship. Tran would have to live in Japan for many years, which would mean leaving their current coaching situation and I doubt that Japan has many coaches who are expert at pairs skating. He probably couldn't expect to become a Japanese citizen until long after Sochi, so what would be the point?

CARA

Final Flight
Country
United-States
From what I understand, it takes a LONG time to get Japanese citizenship. Tran would have to live in Japan for many years, which would mean leaving their current coaching situation and I doubt that Japan has many coaches who are expert at pairs skating. He probably couldn't expect to become a Japanese citizen until long after Sochi, so what would be the point?

Because he is young? Sochi is not the only Olympic he can aspire to skate. Narumi will be only 25 and Tran 27 by 2018 Olympics - That's still pretty young for the current pair team age standard.

Even Tanith and Ben had to forego 2002 Olympics becuase Tanith did not meet the US residency requirement. But they persevered and won the silver medals in 2006.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
2018 might be too close as well. Tran must live in Japan for the requisite time, and he needs to be able not only to speak Japanese fluently but to WRITE skillfully in Japanese. I'm not sure he would be able to do that within 6 years while also continuing his pairs training.

CARA

Final Flight
Country
United-States
2018 might be too close as well. Tran must live in Japan for the requisite time, and he needs to be able not only to speak Japanese fluently but to WRITE skillfully in Japanese. I'm not sure he would be able to do that within 6 years while also continuing his pairs training.

I guess it's up to him, isn't it? I will never underestimate determination of an elite athlete.