When Havoc Struck | Page 2 | Golden Skate

When Havoc Struck

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Heck, the first year I&B won Nationals (2004, I think?) , there was more than one team with blood all over them. It was a scary competition.

Pairs can be scary to watch.

Last edited:

evangeline

Record Breaker
There's also that incident from the GPF last year when Kozuka basically landed a jump on Daisuke's back during the practice: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKU_xE_dtLY

It looked quite painful for Daisuke, and apparently Kozuka felt really, really guilty about it because he felt that he directly damaged Daisuke's chances at skating well at the GPF last season.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Heck, the first year I&B won Nationals (2004, I think?) , there was more than one team with blood all over them. It was a scary competition.

Pairs can be scary to watch.

2004 was a freak nationals all the way around. the Men's competition was basically last man standing, litterally! Weir's fall alone (where one leg went one way and the other went in a very unnatural other way) was awful to watch, he couldn't complete the LP. (Dick Button was ticked about him quitting, not one of Button's finer commentary moments IMO)

silverpond

On the Ice
The incident with Ito falling out of the rink happened at 1991 Worlds.

She had lost the world title in 1990 because of school figures, so 1991 looked like a great opportunity for her to gain it back because the figures were gone from competition starting that year, but unfortunately she was not able to skate a good long program at Worlds that year. (Even with the mistake on the lutz combo, she was still in contention after the short.)

The injuries or soreness that prevented her from skating well in the long were more likely due to a collision in the SP warmup than to the mistake during the SP itself. But it was definitely a memorable mistake!

OK, OK. My mistake, gkelly. That's what you get when you work galley-slave hours and are so tired you can hardly think after work. Yes, it was the 1991 Worlds, the first that did not include the school figures. Ito was the favorite, without question. At the 1990 Worlds, she won both the short and long programs but had to settle for the silver, after finishing 10th in the school figures. Jill Trenary of the US, who won the title, had finished first in the figures, fifth in the short, and second in the long, and won by a razor-thin margin.

1991 was the year when the US women - Yamaguchi/Harding/Kerrigan swept the medals. Go USA!

silverpond

On the Ice
At the 1989 US Nationals, Natalie/Wayne Seybold were poised to win their first US pairs title. She fell in one throw jump, then caught her skate in the other skate's laces which rotating through another throw jump, and crashed onto the ice. The competition was termed "Lace Capades" by some of the media. They did win silver, somewhat controversially, as the 3rd-place team had skated a cleaner program.