Canadians schedule change for CTV | Golden Skate

Canadians schedule change for CTV

nadster

Final Flight
Just saw it and I say yuck. It won't be fair to the skaters skating earlier. And what if one of the skaters in the early group has a great free and moves up several spots even possibly to a medal. Does that mean these skaters will be chacked by CTV/TSN?

Addon: Finally saw the article and have some comments.

To compare this to golf is silly. Typically the tee-off order on the first 2 days ( before they cut the field down ) is completely random. The golfers who start early on the first day start late on the 2nd day ( and vice versa ). That is very much like the skate order for figures or multiple CDs. On the 3rd and 4th days tee-off order has the best golfers teeing off last. But there is no break in time between the early groups and the late groups.

The problem with having huge breaks of several hours between groups is that it is going to put pressure on the judges to give higher marks to the last group no matter how they skate.

Not wishing for this ( I want all skaters to do their best ) but if we have a situation where the final FP group is a splatfest and the 2nd last group skates better in the FP it will be major egg on Skate Canada's face.

Last edited:

trains

On the Ice
I also think that without a compulsory dance event the competition is pretty short to justify high all-event ticket prices. This adds an extra half day to the package.

NorthernDancers

On the Ice
This is absolutely ridiculous, and the decision should be reversed. This is not fair to the skaters. It should be one competiton at one time, not 2 competitions. It would seem the top placements then are predetermined? Are we back to "wait your turn" politics in skating? In dance, some skaters are really good at the SD, but not so good at the FD - and vice versa as well. Some skaters have a bad day on one day, but really bring it home the next - and vice versa. This is a crazy decision, and not in keeping with COP. There are only 3 flights in each discipline - not 6 or more flights. They should do the events all at once as one competition with one panel of judges at one time. That would be fair. In terms of television ratings, they can decide to show what they want on the main networks, either live or taped. I loved what CBC did by showing ALL the skaters from the last to the first on TV on Bold. The main networks showed the final flights and other key skates. Not everyone gets to go to Nationals, and there are lots of fans and supporters who like to watch their favourites put in personal bests, even if these skaters aren't going to finish in the top 5. And what about the audience? Are we saying that the skaters who finish 6th or lower aren't important? Don't bother buying tickets to those events? What about supporting athletes are they come through the system? This ranks up there with one of the worst decisions Skate Canada has made. They are not protecting the sport or the skaters. This is only about making it easy for CTV. I want CBC back.

Skatie

On the Ice
how will tickets work for that day if I'm just buying singles and not an event package?

CdnSkateWatcher

On the Ice
As someone who watches every bit of coverage possible (streamed, TV, YouTube) - this doesn't work for me, because I want to see all of it, and, I know of/have watched and enjoy watching all of the skaters, not just the top skaters. I can also definitely agree with the points about the problem with split flights, etc, and the impact on the skaters.

As someone who has listened in on the conversations of people who have gotten more interested in figure skating due to mainstream, primetime stuff like Battle of the Blades, I'm seeing why they are doing this - they want to put the big names on, and the (hopefully) more impressive skates during the time when they may be able to hook more people into watching and enjoying the sport. Which can only be good. And live always has that additional "perception" of more exciting ... at least for me, but, that may just be my perception.

I don't think CTV has an option like CBC had with Bold - CBC has all of these random channels that they can use for alternative programming - CTV doesn't, I believe.

trains

On the Ice
Is this the national championship for our sport, or a 'made for TV special'? It feels like we have really sold out. OK we have no sponsors, but maybe it's because we keep morphing to try and be all things to all people.
Rant:
What's next? Only the top 6 from Challenge get to Canadians? The winner gets to skate with a hockey player in a follow up special? How about Batlle of the Blades Speedskating! with a champion skater joining a speed skating team. Speedy would love that!
Can we just get back to our pure sport?

colleen o'neill

Medalist
:disapp: Yes, CTV also uses TSN and TSN2. They have said the audience will see all the skaters... So I guess this is just to make Saturday night as "exciting " and "star studded " as possible ( charge more for tickets - SC ... charge more for advertising - CTV ) .

I think this is a simply revolting arrangement ,and utterly unfair to the skaters . I really hate it .

Do I think CBC would be better ? Not judging by the coverage we've seen this year, sadly.

NorthernDancers

On the Ice
:disapp: Yes, CTV also uses TSN and TSN2. They have said the audience will see all the skaters... So I guess this is just to make Saturday night as "exciting " and "star studded " as possible ( charge more for tickets - SC ... charge more for advertising - CTV ) .

I think this is a simply revolting arrangement ,and utterly unfair to the skaters . I really hate it .

Do I think CBC would be better ? Not judging by the coverage we've seen this year, sadly.

So it's just to make Saturday night "exciting"? They can still make it exciting, if they use a mix of taped and live skating. And they can make both Saturday and Sunday exciting by putting together one show for Ladies and Pairs, and another for Men and Dance. Just please don't mess with the integrity of the competition and the fairness of the results!

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Anyone here making the disapproval known to CTV and Skate Canada? Maybe an organized protest and petition will get their attention.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Is this the national championship for our sport, or a 'made for TV special'? It feels like we have really sold out. OK we have no sponsors, but maybe it's because we keep morphing to try and be all things to all people.
Rant:
What's next? Only the top 6 from Challenge get to Canadians? The winner gets to skate with a hockey player in a follow up special? How about Batlle of the Blades Speedskating! with a champion skater joining a speed skating team. Speedy would love that!
Can we just get back to our pure sport?

Okay, I get that we as skating fans must hate $peedy in order to be considered fans, but what does he have to do with a national championship? Um, nothing.

colleen o'neill

Medalist
'Dancers , I totally agree . With a 9 hr. break in the competition ( e.g. for Dance , if I'm counting right ) ... I don't know , it just seems like there's so many things about the environment that could change...I don't see how it can be fair to the skaters , the coaches ( who may have competitors in both segments ), the audience... I don't really see the benefit.

Oh , I know they can trumpet to the casual observer that it's live .. and I suppose they may draw in some newbies..maybe ( and maybe not ) .. but what about all the die hard fans ?

Would they make a couple of hockey teams take a 9 hr. break between the 2nd and 3rd periods just to get the 3rd period on in prime time ? Would that actually produce any more hockey fans ? Could they guarantee that the 3rd period would actually be the most exciting ? What if all the scoring and game changing plays came in the 2nd period ?

G-r-r-r...

Last edited:

katia

On the Ice
This is absolutely ridiculous. It seems CTV/TSN will not show neither Dance nor the Ladies program on the internet.
Are the people/bureaucrats in Skate Canada idiots?!!!!
I am disgusted. I was able to watch Russian Nationals on the internet but it seems I will not be able to watch Canadian Nationals and I am now in Canada!!!!

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
I am very upset that CTV is taking over from the CBC for all figure skating coverage. I loved the CBC coverage, plus the BOLD broadcast on the their web page is wonderful. It looks like there will be a two hour broadcast on Saturday on CTV and the rest will be on TSN. I can't believe Skate Canada would change to CTV for their coverage. Please bring back the CBC!!

NorthernDancers

On the Ice
You can watch the Nationals on Skate Buz - that is the equivalent to CBC's BOLD on the internet.

http://www.skatebuzz.com/ViewNewsArticle.aspx?id=db05e6c6-ff7b-415d-b63c-8e709f30a54f

According to this link, there will be full streaming for Junior events, but only Senior practices. That's the maddening part. Unless CTV and TSN televise every skater in every Senior event, or broadcast via the web at least, we have lost a whole lot with CTV and TSN. Skate Canada, please bring back CBC!!! This whole thing stinks!

katia

On the Ice
Northern Dancers

I was so mad that a couple of days ago I sent an e-mall to Skate Canada. Unfortunately I could not find an e-mail address to high-ranking someone in the Skate Canada.
I did not get any answer to my e-mail so I think they just disregarded my e-mail.
Perhaps we can get start a petition, send a complain-letter(e-mail) or do something????

I also think that if Skate Canada sold a right to transmit Nationals to media company (regardless of who that company is) they should assure that people not only would be able to see competition on TV but also wiould be able to view it on the internet and/or view all of it later on the internet.

trains

On the Ice
Maybe it's because Skate Canada is having a tough time selling tickets and they are trying to get more local fans to actually go to the competition in Moncton. This year they are even throwing in free hamburger and hotdog packages with the tickets. That's never been done before. Chttp://www.skatecanada.ca/en-us/eventsresults/competitions/tickets.aspx
And there is no title sponsor. (they should call it the CTV Canadian Championships)
And for sure Moncton is not an easy or cheap place to get to from the rest of Canada.
Everyone is bemoaning the loss of the excellent skating coverage provided by Bold. But in all fairness the live streaming link on Skatebuzz is not active yet and there is still hope!

NorthernDancers

On the Ice
Maybe it's because Skate Canada is having a tough time selling tickets and they are trying to get more local fans to actually go to the competition in Moncton. This year they are even throwing in free hamburger and hotdog packages with the tickets. That's never been done before. Chttp://www.skatecanada.ca/en-us/eventsresults/competitions/tickets.aspx
And there is no title sponsor. (they should call it the CTV Canadian Championships)
And for sure Moncton is not an easy or cheap place to get to from the rest of Canada.
Everyone is bemoaning the loss of the excellent skating coverage provided by Bold. But in all fairness the live streaming link on Skatebuzz is not active yet and there is still hope!

Wow. We have to sell skating tickets with hot dogs now. Seriously. This is ridiculous. Well, here's something to consider. An all event pass to Senior Canadians is about $150 per person. That's the cheapest option. I don't know about you, but that's a lot of money. Add in travel costs, hotel, and so on, and most people can't afford to go to Nationals. You have to be an uber fan to make that kind of commitment. If the tickets were more reasonable, more people will buy. I'm also really curious to see if the crazy schedule change will actually result in less money for Skate Canada. I'm sure that Saturday night will be a full house, but will the rest of the day's events be full? I'm guessing not. Skate Canada needs to go find themselves a title sponsor. I'm sure it can be done. And then make sure the tickets are more affordable. Until there is a title sponsor, Nationals should only be held in main metropolitan areas where the odds of filling an area are pretty good. BC is pretty expensive for for most athletes and fans (Vancouver would have been better than Victoria) but the attendance was really good for Junior and Senior events. There is a sizeable population to support it. Anything in Southern Ontaro works (ie. Ottawa, greater Toronto area, greater Hamilton area, Niagara, Kitchener/Waterloo, London). Same with Montreal/Quebec City. I image Calgary or Edmonton could also fill an arena.

And I'm with Katia here. If CTV doesn't want to show all the events on the main networks, that's fine. Just stream the events live on the Internet so we get to see all the skaters. This will not destroy ticket sales. Anyone who really loves skating, has the money, and wants to go see the event live will do so. For the majority of the rest of the country, live on the Internet would be fine. At the very least, the entire events should be available online after they are completed and the main networks have shown their skating specials. I'm sure PJ would be willing to provide her commentary.