Men's Free Skate, Sat. 11/19 at 7:30 am EST | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Men's Free Skate, Sat. 11/19 at 7:30 am EST

skatinginbc

Medalist
This is getting me confused. One poster said Patrick's flying sit looked "very small". Another said he didn't "make it [the program] look easy this time. His energy was spent after the quads." Weren't the judges supposed to reflect the relative lack of ease and power in his today's performance in his PCSs? Or did the judges think he looked sick rather than bored and that interpretation would make a less impact on the scores?

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Most of these skators are seasoned travellers to competitions to be affected by a relatively small time difference. Nan Song is the least experienced and came from the furthest but he was energetic. His team has Chinese food prepared for their skaters when competing abroad. So it's a plausible theory he wasn't affected by whatever the others might have consumed.

Kevin was too sick to compete but Patrick had to in order to secure his GPF entry. At least it's mission accomplished for him. Oda, he has bombed before for mental reasons so it's hard to speculate, especially if he was reported to have practiced well.

Fortunately, other disciplines seem to be quite well so far.

skatinginbc

Medalist
it's a plausible theory he wasn't affected by whatever the others might have consumed.
Fortunately, other disciplines seem to be quite well so far.

It is possible. But I'm just curious: Does the event organizer give out food based on disciplines? Men eat together as a group, women another. Pair and dancers have double cheeseburgers?

I have another theory. It is not about disciplines but about individuals. Chan might have gone out with his teammate Kevin to a restaurant or taken the same flight and thus eaten the same food.

Last edited:

let`s talk

Match Penalty
What anthem instead of the Canadian they were playing in the medal ceremony? Chinese?

Seems like they forgot a Canadain flag for a bronze in pairs too.

French are lovely.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
It is possible. But I'm just curious: Does the event organizer give out food based on disciplines? Men eat together as a group, women another. Pair and dancers have double cheeseburgers?

I have another theory. It is not about disciplines but about individuals. Chan might have gone out with his teammate Kevin to a restaurant or taken the same flight and thus eaten the same food.

Your theory is certainly possible. It's all guessing and speculations on our part. Most Men underperformed quite badly and Kevin and Patrick were obviously not in their normal state of health. I imagine skaters are likely to eat with their teammates but may also eat with others of the same discipline because of the compettion schedule. The Men may have simply done poorly for various reasons. :confused2:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I doubt that Chan and Reynolds traveled together, as Reynolds trains in BC and Chan in Denver CO, USA.

Re: my previous comment on Patrick's small flying sit, I just took a look at his SC SP and it seems he just doesn't have a big one.

seniorita

Record Breaker
I only watched Oda and feel depressed, from the comments it seems like a dull competition. I ll look for Song's Lp on YT.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
She really stuck to the ISU b/c her landing on *one foot* should've been allowed, as long as the jump takes off on one and lands on one foot, that's all that matters.

IIRC jumps are also supposed to take off of a defined edge... backflips are done on a flat.

fairly4

Medalist
congratulations to all medal winners.

patrick chan, nan son, michael brezina.

congrat to adam for coming in 3 in the free skate.

Dodhiyel

Final Flight
....but so many mistakes. He still wins, which I sadly expected after watching his blah long today. Maybe we are getting used to this. Falls win, falls win
falls win. I do not tell you what to say anymore. Somebody should do something about the jugging system, or many would stop watching the sports.

ITA.

Unfortunately, I was certain he would win today, regardless of how he skated. The new system works in such a way that the PCS marks can elevate anyone they choose, regardless of how poorly they execute the elements. "Transitions" are a favorite excuse for this.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
ITA.

Unfortunately, I was certain he would win today, regardless of how he skated. The new system works in such a way that the PCS marks can elevate anyone they choose, regardless of how poorly they execute the elements. "Transitions" are a favorite excuse for this.

So can you or Genki explain and support who should have won, under the current scoring system if you don't mind? I don't suppose you have a new system completely worked out that would be all encompassing and fair.

Dodhiyel

Final Flight
So can you or Genki explain and support who should have won, under the current scoring system if you don't mind? I don't suppose you have a new system completely worked out that would be all encompassing and fair.

Not long ago I noticed some PCS scores that showed much too high a divergence among the judges; for starters on improving the system, I suggest that judges not enjoy anonymity.

As to Chan, I notice that he did a 3A in the SP, but not in the FS, whereas Song, who also executed a 4T and a 4T+3T, was brave enough to include a 3A in his FS. A male champion should be brave enough not to have to choose between attempting quad jumping and attempting the triple axel. He should be brave enough to try both in the same free programme. I cannot help but admire courage in an athlete. Song obviously has plenty of that.

skateflower

Match Penalty
Oda's PCS was down to 5-6 range today. Do you guys believe Chan will get an Oda-like PCS score if he bombs like Oda did today? or will the judges will continue to hold him up?

skatinginbc

Medalist
I was certain who would win today, and yes he did. And I'm happy with it. The difference between Chan's skating and others in this competition was like day and night, even a non-skater like me can clearly see it. Chan's performance was like a cut, polished diamond with some chips in it. For me, I can ignore those chips and see sparkles and brilliance here and there. I like "transitions". Many things going on--and I like it that way. Of course, I speak only for myself. I respect others who might have a different taste.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
So Dodhiyel, your answer to my question is that Song should have won on Bravery? Is that the most impirtant and determining component? Are there other Program Components in your system? Do you admire Chan when he does 2 quads and a 3A in his LP?