Kim Yuna's latest interview by Daily Chosun | Golden Skate

Kim Yuna's latest interview by Daily Chosun

cooper

Medalist
c/o of sundy7/allthatyuna.com

Figure skating queen Kim Yuna -

"I have always wished there was no competition in my schedule… I don’t think I’ll ever be able to stand on the podium again.”

http://yunakimfan.com/2011/11/21/18278/

pretty good interview.. as she talks about everything.. :D

seniorita

Record Breaker
Great interview, I havent read many of hers and I like the fact that she is so straighforward. Saying so many times during the interview that she hated to compete and people , including her mum, forced her makes me a lot sad, whatever fame and fortune the last 4 years brought her, she didnt want it. At least now she can use all that to go to university etc.

Why she said there are a lot of restrictions for her to have a bfriend?

brightphoton

Medalist
I think it's because Yuna thinks people would immediately start gossiping about her boyfriend, what they are doing, are they kissing, is she staying a virgin, etc. I don't think Americans would care very much, but I think Yuna Kim thinks the Korean media would cover it endlessly.

It was a very somber interview. I don't like to think about how much suffering skaters have to endure to get to the elite levels.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Yuna was very honest. She confirmed what a lot of her fans discussed on the boards about the pressure she received to compete at Worlds, poor girl. She also made it clear about how she feels about competition. Thanks for the link to the article.

Thanks so much for the link. It's an interview that is both beautiful and sad. No friends her age!

There has been so much on her shoulders for so long. And as we fans had guessed, she may have been forced to stay in skating so that Korea would be viable in the next Olympics. This girl must be completely tired out.

But she's done her job with honor and distinction, and she can always be proud of that. Let her enjoy the rewards of her labors and her service to her country's sports movement. Modeling? Singing? College? Go for it, YuNa!

clairecloutier

Final Flight
So interesting. I love her honesty. She definitely doesn't give you the standard line most North American skaters do ("I just love skating, competing, and training--it's all great.") I love how she credits Mao Asada and their rivalry for helping her reach the pinnacle in her own skating. It is sad to think, though, that we'll probably never see Yu-Na in competition again. I really enjoyed her skating last year, despite only seeing her at Worlds. I will miss her as a competitor, but wish her the best of luck in her future endeavors!

R.D.

Record Breaker
Thanks for the share. Very revealing indeed.

Biggest revelation was that she was basically forced into competing at the 2010 Worlds after Olympics. This was speculated by many fans, I remember, and now it has been confirmed by her to be true.

sillylionlove

Medalist
What a great interview. I really see her in a new light and have much more respect for her then I already did.

cosmos

On the Ice
Thanks so much for the link. It's an interview that is both beautiful and sad. No friends her age!

There has been so much on her shoulders for so long. And as we fans had guessed, she may have been forced to stay in skating so that Korea would be viable in the next Olympics. This girl must be completely tired out.

But she's done her job with honor and distinction, and she can always be proud of that. Let her enjoy the rewards of her labors and her service to her country's sports movement. Modeling? Singing? College? Go for it, YuNa!
She has skating friends. But, no new friend and particularly no boyfriend.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
She's amazing...much more honest than expected...I love these natural photos of her, such an Asian beauty, the daughter they all wish for.

Krislite

Medalist
Not too shocking to find out that she didn't want to be at Worlds 2010 and 2011, and was only pressured to compete. I'm more surprised she's gaining the independence to speak her own mind, considering the still immense pressure on her.

Hanaka

Rinkside
In the beginning, I was behind her, but my competitive spirit came alive because we were both Asians and I wanted to win because it was a rivalry between Korea and Japan. It was a match worth competing.

:rolleye: :rolleye: :rolleye:

Krislite

Medalist

Right, like the rivalry between Korea and Japan was never in Yuna or Mao's mind. :rolleye::rolleye: Some one needs a reality check. Even Mao admitted as much in past interviews that her own rivalry with Yuna drove her, too.

EricRohmer

On the Ice
I don't know how to react to this interview because I don't trust this press. haha.
The Chosun-ilbo has a bad reputation of distorting interviewees' comments and fabricating the context etc.
For example, a professor & literary critic(Kim Woo-Chang) has ever said in his book that because the Chosun twisted or changed his words in a interview with them, he had to explain and put right whenever his colleagues reminded him of That interview, for a few years.

Krislite

Medalist
I don't know how to react to this interview because I don't trust this press. haha.
The Chosun-ilbo has a bad reputation of distorting interviewees' comments and fabricating the context etc.
For example, a professor & literary critic(Kim Woo-Chang) has ever said in his book that because the Chosun twisted or changed his words in a interview with them, he had to explain and put right whenever his colleagues reminded him of That interview, for a few years.

This interview was video-taped. You can find it online, and if you're fluent in Korean, translate it line-by-line yourself. No one fluent in Korean disagrees with the translations, so I don't see how your objection holds. It would be one thing if it were only transcribed by the press and then further translated by someone not fluent in English, but that's not the case here.

cosmos

On the Ice

Whether you like the press or not, it is the most sold news paper in Korea.

Last edited:

volk

Final Flight
Very honest interview. I hope her post-skating life will be much happier than it is now.

I just went back and watched her 2010 Olympic long program. Cool, strong, and just about perfect skating. Whenever I watch that program, I'm just about floored at how calm she seems, almost playful, and yet how buoyant her jumps are. What she did was almost beyond possible. I think she used up every ounce of steam she had on that competition, and who can blame her if she doesn't feel she has it in her to do that again.

EricRohmer

On the Ice
This interview was video-taped. You can find it online, and if you're fluent in Korean, translate it line-by-line yourself. No one fluent in Korean disagrees with the translations, so I don't see how your objection holds. It would be one thing if it were only transcribed by the press and then further translated by someone not fluent in English, but that's not the case here.

There is a video recorded fully that I don't know??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1kCgmfLYvU
This video contains only 4 answers + 1 answer(to a goal as an athlete. was not printed in the paper) without reporter's voice throwing questions.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
I just went back and watched her 2010 Olympic long program. Cool, strong, and just about perfect skating. Whenever I watch that program, I'm just about floored at how calm she seems, almost playful, and yet how buoyant her jumps are. What she did was almost beyond possible. I think she used up every ounce of steam she had on that competition, and who can blame her if she doesn't feel she has it in her to do that again.

My sentiments exactly Miss Olympia. I do feel her fed will push her into Sochi and I feel we may see a performance like the thin, stress Midori Ito who was pushed by her fed to compete at olys when she did not want to, or was that worlds? Someone correct me.