Happy Thanksgiving | Golden Skate

Happy Thanksgiving

jcoates

Medalist
To all the American forum members at home or abroad and to anyone else who celebrates the holiday. It's been a long and difficult year for just about everyone to some degree or another. Still we have much to be thankful for. I for one am thankful for family and friends and the support they provide. I'm also thankful for this forum and the wonderful interaction it provides around something I love. Best wishes to all the members and hopes for a strong end to the year and a more prosperous 2012.

Thank you for this lovely message. Happy Thanksgiving to American skaters, skating fans, and forum members, wherever they may be (including far from home in Moscow, getting ready for the competition this weekend)!

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
thank you and the same to you! :) going to be here at home with the family and a couple of friends of my parents... then it's football (GO NINERS) and finally the tradition of watching the Christmas Family Vacation before turning in for the night.... Let the Christmas season officially begin! :laugh:

ETA: Brian Boitano shared this recipe a little while ago. Looks good (and I don't like pecan pie) http://brianboitano.com/recipes-dark-chocolate-bourbon-pecan-pie.shtml

Last edited:

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Happy Thanksgiving to you Toni and to all GS Members. I just put the bird in the oven. I am having houseful of family and friends today to celebrate, can't wait!

I echo these sentiments. Tough year, but much to give thanks for. Best Thanksgiving wishes to one and all. Here's hoping for smooth travel, good food, and the presence of loved ones.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Happy Thanksgiving to everyone celebrating, in the US or elsewhere in the world... hope you'll enjoy the meal, the football, and the family time (not necessarily in that order ;)).

Brian Boitano's recipe looks fabulous, except I don't think I can get any dark corn syrup. I wonder if a light corn syrup/golden syrup combo would do the trick?

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Happy Thanksgiving. Anybody planning on stuffing themselves like a turkey? :biggrin:

I don't do Thanksgiving mysef but everyday is a thanks giving day for me.

Buttercup, maple syrup should be even better than corn syrup in every way.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Buttercup, maple syrup should be even better than corn syrup in every way.
I agree that maple's better than corn syrup, but IMO, golden syrup is the one syrup to rule them all. I had to go through quite the expedition to find some, and it was well worth the effort!

But I could make two smaller pies and test the matter scientifically.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Taste may be subjective, but nutritionally, maple and corn syrups occupy opposite ends of the spectrum. Corn syrup is evil but you should enjoy it at least today. Moi, no sweet tooth, no syrup.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Taste may be subjective, but nutritionally, maple and corn syrups occupy opposite ends of the spectrum. Corn syrup is evil but you should enjoy it at least today. Moi, no sweet tooth, no syrup.
Golden syrup is neither, though - it's an inverted sugar syrup, and a little goes a long way for flavoring. I doubt I could find really good maple syrup where I live; the best I could hope for is decent commercial brands.

My understanding is that high fructose corn syrup is evil but corn syrup isn't nearly as bad.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
Happy Thanksgiving Day to everyone who are celebrating! I know Canada's Thanksgiving Day was a month ago.

I have to count both my fingers and toes for the blessings I've got because I have a lot to thank for this year. This wonderful GS board is one of them. Tonight, we are going to friend's house to have a big celebration.

Last edited:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Re: syrup - not sure why it needs to be dark. You could ask him on twitter or facebook. He's pretty good at resonding.

Karo Syrup, which used to be a well-known brand of corn syrup hereabouts, comes in light or dark. I don't know if it's still around, because the only sweet I generally keep track of is chocolate. However, I do occasionally hanker for a slice of pecan pie, and the thought of maple syrup as the syrup base is mouth-watering! What a combination of flavors.

Last edited: