Rachael Flatt tries to work out kinks | Golden Skate

Rachael Flatt tries to work out kinks

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
It seems both Rachael and Mirai are dealing with undesirable commutes. I certainly hope both figure a way to make their schedules more productive. They're both great skaters.

skateflower

Match Penalty
Her college student/skater schedule is not sustainable. She has gained a lot of weight and that has definitely impacted her jumps in a big way despite her denial.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
^ Our infrastructure is not there or crumbling, and we could have massive change had the Obama jobs bill not been completly destroyed by the voting bloc.

Rachael tries so hard, is so gifted, but it does seem not do-able at this elite level. I think we saw her best in Vancouver and I was very happy she had the career she had and that wonderful Olympics.

Last edited:

Nadine

Record Breaker
Haven't read the article, but just wanted to wish Rachael a "HAPPY THANKSGIVING". :love: And Good Luck at COR, with the Ladies SP starting in approximately 5 1/2 hours. :cool:

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Her college student/skater schedule is not sustainable. She has gained a lot of weight and that has definitely impacted her jumps in a big way despite her denial.
Skating and going to university is not sustainable? You'd think no skater has ever managed to combine the two. Take a look at the Universiade entry lists from past seasons; seems like plenty of skaters manage to combine the two, some of them in demanding fields (e.g. finance, engineering, paramedical professions). I can think of quite a few American skaters who are currently students at the University of Michigan, which is a very good school. Flatt was only taking three classes her first term - something that can certainly be managed even at a top university such as Stanford. I think she's right; it's about finding the right way to find the best balance for her schedule, and that's an issue many university students struggle with early on.

The commuting Flatt has to do is cause for concern, however. I was happy to read that she's been able to get more ice team nearer the Stanford campus, and I hope she'll eventually be able to sort out her training locations so that she doesn't have to waste so much time on the road. Even if she had access to good public transportation, it's still exhausting.

I don't think skaters' weight is something that needs to be discussed on this forum.

Last edited:

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Rachel peaked in 2009-2010 so i don't ever see her being as high as 5th at Worlds ever again. The fact that she skated clean at COR and is still 8th tells you what the international judges think of her skating. Sadly though with the lackluster skaters the US has right now she might make Worlds yet again and bomb.

Last edited:
Stamina will tell the story in the LP. If she keeps driving through the whole program she can move up.

seniorita

Record Breaker
I was thinking how Mirai would look with East of Eden (but I hope it wont be in Nichols next tape to Carol)because I like in Rachel program the spread eagle and bauer use with the music, but the rest of step sequence doesnt go with the music at all. She skated it very well but somehow when the music picks I imagine forests, and birds and little rivers, something like The Avatar forest but the SlSt is nothing about that.

I was thinking how Mirai would look with East of Eden (but I hope it wont be in Nichols next tape to Carol)because I like in Rachel program the spread eagle and bauer use with the music, but the rest of step sequence doesnt go with the music at all. She skated it very well but somehow when the music picks I imagine forests, and birds and little rivers, something like The Avatar forest but the SlSt is nothing about that.

I agree about Rachael's spreadeagle. It's retained its beauty since her days of world junior championship. I also definitely agree that the step sequence does NOT go with this music! It seems as if it's been jammed in there. Maybe the thing to do would have been to tack several pieces of music together, as Lori did in Michelle's Rachmaninoff short program in 1998. Nichol was always an inspired music-cutter, though these days she doesn't seem to be using that particular gift.

The lack of success of that step sequence to the music isn't really Rachael's fault. Even Michelle Kwan's 2001-2002 (IIRC) SP to that melody forces a fast step sequence into it without a good fit to the tune. The difference is that Kwan had the musicality and the technique to carry it off, while Rachael isn't able to convey that fluidity. (Remember that Kwan first used "EoE" as an exhibition piece, where there was no need for specific requirements to be fulfilled. Then when she wanted to use this signature tune of hers in competition, adaptations had to be made. She just about pulled it off, but she's the Kween.)

Maybe the truth is that "East of Eden" really is no longer suitable for short programs on its own, given the requirements of the present day.

Last edited:

gmyers

Record Breaker
Flatt did not try a Lutz in this SP. I wanted to see why she fell so much but it was just changing from Lutz to loop. Her PCS went up from previous events in a GP SP. She was "clean" but she needs a lutz.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Flatt did not try a Lutz in this SP. I wanted to see why she fell so much but it was just changing from Lutz to loop. Her PCS went up from previous events in a GP SP. She was "clean" but she needs a lutz.

I haven't gone to the COR competition threads as yet..if she landed a cleaan lutz, what would her total have been and what position would she have come in if the lutz were still in? Thanks.

gmyers

Record Breaker
She got 4.70 for her loop but a lutz base value is 6. If she got the negative GOE on the lutz like she got on the loop it would be 5.6. If she did that with BV or loop like GOE she could have been .90 better which would have only placed her above Zawadski but maybe better.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
I saw the skate, I wonder will she try the lutz at Nationals? Her stamina looks to be a problem.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
I said last year around this time she should retire and people here howled in protest and now many of those same people are saying the same thing. I do like Rachael and despite that she isnt every exciting I have enjoyed some of her performances. However her skating and career has already peaked, atleast at the amateur level. I would have said that even if she werent now a full time college student, but as she is that is only more obvious.

Putting her on the World team last year was a mistake which I said at the time, and sadly so it proved at Worlds, a decision that cost the U.S a 3rd spot this year and will victimize a skater like poor Ashley Wagner (or Nagasu if she has another off night at Nationals). There is no way she makes another World team. Even when she skates fairly well she will get mediocre scores now (as the short program in Russia showed, and after the USFSA theatened to fine her after not disclosing her injury at Worlds it will only be worse relative to her peers on U.S soil). She has has a fine career with an impressive 2009 Worlds and 2010 Olympics, numerous international medals, a U.S title, 3 U.S silver, and 4 overall trips to the Worlds or Olympics. It is now time to move onto the next phase of her life, perhaps even do some show skating too. Staying in amateur skated is a wasted venture at this point.

Last edited:

gmyers

Record Breaker
It looks like based on her Loop she is going to try to water down her content to do bettter but she does not have the PCS to make up for that! I don't know what her LP holds but if she is lowering her content I think she is on her way out and she doesn't want to injure herself on her way out.

sorcerer

Final Flight
I think the same thing is happening to Rachael here as to what happened to Aki Sawada back in TEB '08.
Goes to show that judges are average humans in a bad way.