Mens SP, Friday, 11/25/11, 9:45AM EST | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Mens SP, Friday, 11/25/11, 9:45AM EST

lilshorty

On the Ice
Brezina: All jumps landed cleanly. No quad attempt. But he just doesn't have the speed, flow, and showmanship that Jeremy has. I expect him to go into second.

Nadine

Record Breaker
I respect Brezina for all the jumps he did (though I still cannot stand his technique where he breaks at the waist when he's about to do a jump), but I need to say that's such a silly program. When compared to Elvis Stojko, whom studied karate practically all his life, and therefore each one of his movements had meaning & power, whereas Michal's are just thrown away. Pity.

Dodhiyel

Final Flight
This may sound like a silly excuse, but there's been a nasty stomach flu making the rounds, and I think a lot of the skaters have been exposed to it, so it's somewhat a matter of luck as to exactly when they start to come down with it. Initially, it does tend to affect coordination a little bit. It goes through phases (I've had it, and I'm still recovering from it), so I just wish everyone out there the best, whether or not they are skating their best at the moment.

wallylutz

Medalist
Brezina nailed his jumps but aside from that, he skated slowly, cautiously and with very little power. He just looks tired. The music is fast and powerful but his speed was virtually constant and very little attempt to interpret or skate to the music. His ability is to do intricate connecting steps are still developing. I am afraid he seems a little stalled compared to last year.

Jasper

Final Flight
Wow, I am surprised. But his spins were slow and he had a bobble early in his footwork. It's wide open tomorrow between the top 4 skaters.

I predict Brezina and Fernandez to top the podium, but not sure which order.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
This may sound like a silly excuse, but there's been a nasty stomach flu making the rounds, and I think a lot of the skaters have been exposed to it, so it's somewhat a matter of luck as to exactly when they start to come down with it. Initially, it does tend to affect coordination a little bit. It goes through phases (I've had it, and I'm still recovering from it), so I just wish everyone out there the best, whether or not they are skating their best at the moment.

That's not a silly excuse at all. I've had nasty stomach flus before that have definitely taken their toll on me, and I couldn't imagine having to be an elite competitive figure skater having to meet all the COP program requirements and competing with such an illness. I feel for the skaters having to deal with such a nasty bug. I wish them all great health and for those who have been affected, a quick recovery! :yes:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Wow, I am surprised. But his spins were slow and he had a bobble early in his footwork. It's wide open tomorrow between the top 4 skaters.

I predict Brezina and Fernandez to top the podium, but not sure which order.

Brezina has no chance to win. He needs a big lead from the SP and others messing up the LP to get on top of the podium. He might get silver if Jeremy bombs tomorrow but I don't think Jeremy is going to let that happen this time.

Maybe that's what was wrong with Javy? He didn't catch fire out there. I wondered if he put on a couple of extra pounds since SC.

Jasper

Final Flight
Brezina has no chance to win. He needs a big lead from the SP and others messing up the LP to get on top of the podium. He might get silver if Jeremy bombs tomorrow but I don't think Jeremy is going to let that happen this time.

Brezina is still the most experienced and consistent on an international competitive stage. I can see the others flubbing - Abbott would be no different/no surprise.

Nadine

Record Breaker
Michelle Kwan never made excuses, great champions don't, they take their lumps and deal with it.

In a way this reminds me of Daisuke Takahashi at the Olympics, I'll never forget his going for the quad in the FS despite people advising against it, but being the warrior that he is he went for it, knowing that the reigning Olympic Mens Champion was doing it, he did as well. The respect I have for him is something you cannot put into words, it's honestly the first thing that comes to mind when I see him skate ~ W-A-R-R-I-O-R.

Now unto the FS tomorrow night, let's see who goes for it, and who does not.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Jeremy received three Level 3 elements on two of his spins and on the footwork sequence. Yuzuru achieved all Level 4s on his non-jump elements. Abbott will want to improve on this for future competitions, especially when he faces Takahashi, Chan, and Kozuka.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Brezina is still the most experienced and consistent on an international competitive stage. I can see the others flubbing - Abbott would be no different/no surprise.

Brezina is no more experienced internationally than Abbott and Fernandez. But the point is he doesn't have stamina and always messes up his jumps late in the LP. Did you notice he's already tired after his SP? With all his big jumps, he's 4th in Worlds the last 2 years.

Art&Sport

Medalist
Too bad Javier did a 2/3 instead of planned 3/3. Also, Javi wasn't as spot-on as at SC. I definitely would rate Javier above Brezina, especially Javi lands his quad so comfortably, and Brezina seems not to want to try landing them anymore. Brezina's skate was fairly boring -- I think the judges are overscoring Brezina on PCS and tend to highly rate him a lot than what he actually shows.

Hanyu is definitely a prodigy -- he even seems to have improved a bit here in presentation than he showed at CoC, but with the mistake on the quad landing, I would not have scored Hanyu as highly as the judges did. He should have higher PCS than Javi, but I would have had Hanyu more toward 80.50 or 81.00.

No question, Jeremy's was the program of the comp. He looked very confident on his jumps and all of his elements. He skated smooth and really put on a show. So what that Hanyu is a jumping prodigy -- why does that automatically give Hanyu such higher scores than Jeremy on TES? This is where the judges' judgement is definitely faulty. Jeremy, IMHO, should have scored higher across the board with a total well over 84.00, closer to 85.00 -- Seriously, the judges seem to ignore the difficulty of what Jeremy does. When he's on, like he was here, Jere is clearly superior, even to Chan (because despite Chan's higher than mighty SS, Chan is not as complete a skater as Jeremy when it comes to presentation).

Oh no, here we were having a wonderful Jeremy love-fest and now it's going to be another Chan-anti-Chan fight. Thanks a lot.