Ladies LP, 11/26/11 at 5AM EST | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Ladies LP, 11/26/11 at 5AM EST

Art&Sport

Medalist
Interesting choice of music for Imai, but I don't think she looks very comfortable skating to it, nor is she expressing it very expertly. But kudos to at least trying to skate to something different than the usual.

Nadine

Record Breaker
I'm not really watching, but I note that Agnes is in first place, which is another wake-up call for Rachael. The younger ones are passing her by, same thing is happening to Joubert imho. Which means they have to work that much harder.

Rach needs to sit down and re-evaluate and prioritize. I recall how fit Denise Biellmann was, especially during her pro years, namely when she competed against a 16/17/18 yr. old Oksana Baiul. Denise left her in the dust, she was in her 30s, but had the most "cut" body I've ever seen on a figure skater, man or woman, including Joannie Rochette. This is what Rachael needs to do imho. Time to re-invent herself, or she'll be left in the dust for good.

Jmho. Btw, I treasure watching Rachael skate, front row seat, right in front of me at 2010 Skate America. One for the ages. To see her skate in person when she's in top shape, et al, is truly something else. As God is my witness, it was *she* that set the arena on fire that night. There's nothing like seeing her skate in person imho.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Haruka's SP is much better than LP. She did not convinced me here.

Some of her arm movements had me gaping with disbelief. The amount of floundering was unbelievable for a Senior-level competitor.

And I like this girl.

gold12345

Medalist
I'm not really watching, but I note that Agnes is in first place, which is another wake-up call for Rachael. The younger ones are passing her by, same thing is happening to Joubert imho.

Rachael took out some of her harder triples. I'm sure she won't lose sleep at night about losing to Agnes by one whole point in the free skate. She must have expected coming into this Grand Prix season that she wasn't going to be very prepared. To me it seems that Rachael is currently less results-oriented and is more focused on her own skating and trying to better what she did in her last outing. I mean, she seemed relatively pleased with both her skate and score.

Nadine

Record Breaker
Volchkova looks so different with her hair down, looks even younger than her competitive days imho, nice to see her smiling & relaxed. :)

Nadine

Record Breaker
Rachael took out some of her harder triples. I'm sure she won't lose sleep at night about losing to Agnes by one whole point in the free skate. She must have expected coming into this Grand Prix season that she wasn't going to be very prepared. To me it seems that Rachael is currently less results-oriented and is more focused on her own skating and trying to better what she did in her last outing. I mean, she seemed relatively pleased with both her skate and score.

Rach is always smiling, that's part of why I like her, but to see a once great champion finishing last and second to last is heartbreaking. I really think the USFSA fining her this past summer took the sails out of her, as well as leaving her long-time coach, et al.

Here's hoping she rises from the ashes like the firebird did and comes back stronger next year. :)

Art&Sport

Medalist
I can only think of Shen and Zhao at 2003 Worlds when I hear this music.

Some good moments from Sofia, but overall, she doesn't skate up to the music.

Kinga

Medalist
Bravo bravo Sofia!!
ETA: I still think that the difference between her and Korpi should be more visible when it comes to scoring

Nadine

Record Breaker
My favorite performance to this music is Sarah Hughes, especially when she skated to it at the GPF one year (that's when they had to skate two FSs). Ahh, her classic beautifully turned-out leg on the layback at the crescendo of the music was glorious. She had it all, jumps, spins, spirals, laybacks, flexibility, feel for the music. Am going to find my old tape of this and watch it later on. :)

Art&Sport

Medalist
Sotnikova's dress looks like an overdecorated cake. Let's see how she skates.

ETA: Another case of not interpreting the music very well. Talented galore, but just not well-baked yet. ;)

Last edited:

Nadine

Record Breaker
Adelina reminds me of Oksana in a certain way, their downfall is also their greatest asset, expressing emotion. It has to be contained, controlled, lol Oksana wore her heart on her sleeve. Adelina's not that bad. :biggrin:

Nadine

Record Breaker
ps: I thought the other Russian that skated before Adelina was better than her. Jmho.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Adelina is definitely suffering from the pressure of expectation this season. She's almost surely losing her Junior World title to Princess Tut.