Ladies LP, 11/26/11 at 5AM EST | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Ladies LP, 11/26/11 at 5AM EST

alexeifan

On the Ice
So happy for Mao, we finally have someone who skates like Michelle kwan. Mao has just gotten so much better, never thought she could be an even more beautiful skater, I like her already so much before, now it's just gorgeous.

camion

On the Ice
Stupid question, what does ChSp mean? Everyone seems to have got a level one on it

Choreography spirals don't have levels. They have a fixed base value of 2.0 pts and are evaluated by GOE. A skater has two ways to get credit for it by either holding one spiral position for atleast 6 seconds or holding two spiral positions for atleast 3 seconds each. The 1 in ChSp1 indicates that one spiral position was held for atleast 6 seconds; a 2 in ChSp2 would indicate that two spiral positions were held.

sorcerer

Final Flight
Rachael was severely underscored and Kiira overscored.

ETA: No I should say everyone was overscored except Rachael.

Last edited:

StellaCampo

On the Ice
So glad Mao won. I know Alena did well too but after all she fell, didn't see? Also, let's face it, Mao has a better line, her skating is more beautiful.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
As much as I like Mao, I didn't want her to win like this. Leonova should have won..

I think Mao was a deserving winner. Her skating is so light--it is just in a class by itself, even with mistakes. Alena is over-scored on PCS (I haven't even seen the protocols, but I have to assume she was, given her score). To win, she had to skate without mistakes and she didn't.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

I agree about Rachael. She skated a nearly clean program--it looked to me like her only mistake was the double salchow. And she stayed on her feet, unlike almost everyone else. Deliberate under-scoring is just as bad as deliberate over-scoring.

ETA: I see that she also singled a toe-loop in combo. She is being killed on GOE (as well as PCS, but that is nothing new). Are her clean jumps really worth 0 GOE? I don't know the answer to that.

Last edited:
She is being killed on GOE (as well as PCS, but that is nothing new). Are her clean jumps really worth 0 GOE? I don't know the answer to that.

Sadly, I would say yes. She never got much height or ice coverage, and these days it's less than it used to be. It's kind of a miracle that she rotates and lands on her feet.

But kudos to her for doing so much better here.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
If I am reading the protocols correctly Mao got level 4's on all of her non jump elements. Wow.

wow indeed. she did get a level 1 on her final spiral sequence....I thought that was just for choreography???

lavender

Record Breaker
Well Mao's skating overall is superior to Alena's, let's be honest. Mao's PCS should be so much higher. Love Mao butterfly sweetness.

Yes, thank you Nadine ... Mao skates like poetry in motion!

ITA...Never would Alena's pcs be close to a Mao if I was on the panel.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
wow indeed. she did get a level 1 on her final spiral sequence....I thought that was just for choreography???
The spiral sequence is judged the same way as the second step sequence for the men: everyone gets level 1, and the the GOE differentiates the skaters. Mao, as far as I can tell, had the second highest GOE on this element behind Sotnikova.

I'd love to see more elements judged this way; maybe it'll rid us of some of the uglier features of CoP, such as the catch foot anything.

Iscariot

On the Ice
After watching adelina's program i really can see the crowd liking her, she might become the little darling of russia figure skating

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

There are no levels on the spiral in the LP. 1 means she did one spiral position (as opposed to 2, as I understand it).

lavender

Record Breaker
I'm soo proud of Mao because in the past Mao's level of performance would have dropped after making one mistake but she stayed with it and it was still a beautiful performance without the jumps.

I was giggling a lil at how silent the crowd was when Mao won. I'm was thinking oh I guess they didn't know that Mao is so good in every other aspect of her skating that she doesn't need 6 jumps to beat certain skaters.

Bartek

On the Ice
Polish commentators keep telling that a spiral sequence counts towards program components. I don't how they came up with this. Spirals count for transitions but choreographed spiral sequence does not as far as I'm concerned. It's a technical element, just as jumps and spins, it just doesn't have a level of difficulty, only GOE.
And I love Mao's long arabesqe spiral at the end of her program even if it doesn't have a lot of speed. It's really a beautiful move with her extention and I like the fact she holds it for a long time.

lavender

Record Breaker
I love both Mao and Adelina. I think they were the 2 best skaters in general at this competition but if I were Adelina I would skate the long program from last year. It was a better program anyway. Mao's program to the same music is constructed so much better and it highlights all the nuances of the music better.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker

Kiira was definitely overscored. Did I miss something, or did she only do two triples? Her ahead of Lacoste was totally wrong, even with the lead from the SP.

OTOH, I think Rachael was scored correctly. She didn't make any glaring mistakes, but she skated really slowly and sluggishly for her.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Rachael was not underscored. She did only 3 triples and she looked so slow and bored as if she were barely doing a practice runthrough. She really needs to retire already and the judges are concurring with that.

Leonova had a golden chance to win but blew it with a series of stupid mistakes all in a row towards the end. She doesnt seem to have the mental toughness she had when she was a junior skater.