Medalist
Ladies

Elizaveta
Mao
Carolina
Akiko
Alissa
Alena

The women's event is basically wide open. Any one of them can win. Whoever skate the cleanest. Mao will probably win since she has room for error due to pcs. Elizaveta has been the most consistent this season. She is practically guaranteed to get a medal of some kind. I will say Mao- gold, Elizaveta- silver, and Alissa or Carolina bronze.

Mens:

Patrick
Daisuke
Jeremy
Michal
Javier
Yuzuru

The men will be a battle between Patrick, Daisuke, and Javier. If of those three skate clean he will win. If they all falter Patrick will win. Yuzuru is the dark horse of this competition. If Michal and Jeremy get there tech together they will be competitive but I doubt that will happen in two weeks. Takahashi -gold , Patrick -silver, Javier-bronze

Pairs
V/T
S/S
K/S
Z/Z
T/T
D/R

The pairs is once again an three men race between V/T,S/S,K/S. S/S have an edge if everyone goes clean. If S/S goes for the 3A, anyone of the teams could win. S/S =gold, K/S- silver, V/T bronze

Dance

Its the D/W and V/M show. D/W is going to loose the SD but have enough lead in the FD to take gold. If V/M manage to clean up there tech and get those lv4's that been eluding them there lead in the SD will be enough to take gold. W/P should take the bronze.

Last edited:

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
LADIES

1) Asada 2) Tuktamysheva 3) Kostner

MEN

1) Chan 2) Takahashi 3) Fernandez

I wish Takahashi would win, but I don't think he's going to. I know Daisuke got a really high score at NHK, but they'll probably score Patrick even higher at the GPF. He's just Chan, he almost always wins.

PAIRS

1) Volosozhar/Trankov 2) Savchenko/Szolkowy 3) Kavaguti/Smirnov

This was hard to call.. S/S could win if they skate like they did at COR, not like how they skated at their first two events. If they skate like they did at their second event, they could fall off the podium and the Zhangs could get on, but I don't think they're going to skate that badly.

DANCE

1) Virtue/Moir 2) Davis/White 3) Pechalat/Bourzat

Given D/W's troubles at this last event (COR) I think it's V/M's to take. I think their programs are slightly better this season than D/W's and we haven't seen THEM fall. I'm hoping for Pechalat/Bourzat for third instead of the Shibutanis and I think they'll be able to get it.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Men
1. Takahashi
2. Chan
3. Fernandez
4. Hanyu
5. Brezina
6. Abbott

Ladies
No idea

Pairs
1. Savchenko/Szolkowy
2. Kavaguti/Smirnov
3. Duhamel/Radford
4. Moore-Towers/Moscovitch
5. Takahashi/Tran
6. Zhang/Zhang

If Volosozhar/Trankov compete, place them first, and take out Mt/M

Dance
1. Virtue/Moir (hometown bonus. Need to get the levels though, or it won't happen)
2. Davis/White
3. Pechalat/Bourzat
4. Weaver/Poje
5. Shibutani/Shibutani
6. Bobrova/Soloviev

MikiAndoFan#1

Record Breaker
Ladies
1. Mao
2. Carolina
3. Akiko
4. Elizaveta
5. Alissa
6. Alena

Men
1. Patrick
2. Daisuke
3. Jeremy
4. Javier
5. Yuzuru
6. Michal

Pairs
1. Savchenko & Szolkowy
2. Volosozhar & Trankov
3. Kavaguti & Smirnov
4. Zhang & Zhang
5. Takahashi & Tran
6. Duhamel & Radford

Ice Dance
1. Virtue & Moir
2. Davis & White
3. Péchalat & Bourzat
4. Weaver & Poje
5. Shibutani & Shibutani
6. Bobrova & Soloviev

DianaSelene

Medalist
Men
1. Takahashi
2. Chan
3. Fernandez
4. Hanyu
5. Brezina
6. Abbott

Ladies
No idea

Pairs
1. Savchenko/Szolkowy
2. Kavaguti/Smirnov
3. Duhamel/Radford
4. Moore-Towers/Moscovitch
5. Takahashi/Tran
6. Zhang/Zhang

If Volosozhar/Trankov compete, place them first, and take out Mt/M

Dance
1. Virtue/Moir (hometown bonus. Need to get the levels though, or it won't happen)
2. Davis/White
3. Pechalat/Bourzat
4. Weaver/Poje
5. Shibutani/Shibutani
6. Bobrova/Soloviev

What do you mean if V/T compete?

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
So if V/T are not in, is it Moore-Towers/Moscovitch? I'm assuming it's them and not Berton/Hotarek because Berton/Hotarek got a 4th and MT/M got two 3rds?

DianaSelene

Medalist
I'm not sure they will compete. Every competition he's mentioned an injury of some sort.

I'm pretty sure they will compete. Trankov said he has some pain but will persevere and won't have surgery for right now. Unless the injury becomes horrible, they will be in. I wouldn't bet on M-T/M substituting them.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
So if V/T are not in, is it Moore-Towers/Moscovitch? I'm assuming it's them and not Berton/Hotarek because Berton/Hotarek got a 4th and MT/M got two 3rds?

Yes. B/H have a 3rd and a 4th, Mt/M have two 3rds.

I'm pretty sure they will compete. Trankov said he has some pain but will persevere and won't have surgery for right now. Unless the injury becomes horrible, they will be in. I wouldn't bet on M-T/M substituting them.

I'm not betting on it. I just want credit for mentioning it first, that's all. If I'm wrong.... well, I'm wrong a lot. No one will remember me being wrong this specific time.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
V/T will compete in GPF,
They mentioned they had some problems with some of the executions at TEB but did not mention undergoing any sort of surgery
or WD .

I'm betting on Akiko winning GPF. the rest of the ladies have a spot for the rest of the remaining podiums, I will not jynx it again hoping before Alena will not medal , LOL
the men a bit unpredictable so anything can happen for them.

Last edited:

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Men - This has not been a good event for Takahashi historically, but perhaps this is his time to pull it off. Chan will be feeling the pressure of defending and the judges will give Takahashi the PCS.
1. Takahashi
2. Chan
3. Fernandez
4. Hanyu
5. Abbott
6. Brezina

Ladies - My predicted top 5 for Worlds are the same as the current standings of these ladies in terms of total scores on the Grand Prix. I'll stick with that here and slate Tuktamisheva in right behind Asada, as that makes sense.
1. Asada
2. Tuktamisheva
3. Kostner
4. Suzuki
5. Czisny
6. Leonova

Pairs - Every placement here seems obvious to me. Volosozhar/Trankov could of course win Gold, but Savchenko/Szolkowy posted a massive number at Cup of Russia and seem to have gotten their programs down pat now.
1. Savchenko/Szolkowy
2. Volosozhar/Trankov
3. Kavaguti/Smirnov
4. Zhang/Zhang
5. Duhamel/Radford
6. Takahashi/Tran

Dance - Even with hometown bonus, I think Davis/White will take it. People simply like their program more this year.
1. Davis/White
2. Virtue/Moir
3. Pechalat/Bourzat
4. Weaver/Poje
5. Bobrova/Soloviev
6. Shibutani/Shibutani

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Men:

1. Takahashi
2. Chan
3. Fernandez
4. Abbott
5. Hanyu
6. Brezina

If Takahashi can skate like NHK he will probably win. I dont think Chan will do anywhere close to a clean performance.

Ladies:

1. Kostner
2. Tuktamisheva
3. Suzuki
4. Asada
5. Czisny
6. Leonova

Mao does not impress me as much as she does some this year. She isnt skating clean programs even without doing the triple axel, and her PCS still arent huge either. Still this is pretty open. Tuktamisheva will win if she hits all her jumps and the veterans all continue to not skate clean programs.

Pairs:

1. Volosozhar & Trankov
2. Savchenko & Szolkowy
3. Kavaguti & Smirnov
4. Duhamel & Radford
5. Zhang & Zhang
6. Takahashi & Tran

The Germans have had problems with their short program almost all year, except in Russia. It is hard to say what will happen between the top 2 here, could go either way.

Dance:

1. Davis & White
2. Virtue & Moir
3. Weaver & Poje
4. Pechalat & Bourzat
5. Bobrova & Soloviev
6. Shibutani & Shibutani

Home crowd will boost W&P, but not be enough of a boost for V&M.

Last edited:

mary01

Final Flight
My Predictions:

ladies:

1. Mao Asada
2. Akiko Suzuki
3. Elizveta Tuktukishva

men:

1. Takahashi
2. Chan
3. hanyu

pairs

1. Savchenko & Szolkowy
2. Zhang & Zhang
3. Kavaguti & Smirnov

Oh, Blades, I hope you're right for all the first places! (Except ice dance, where I would be happy with either D/W or V/M taking the gold.) I do so want Mao and Daisuke to win, and I love S/S. I know you're making your predictions on actual understanding, unlike me who's only going on hope, but our intentions are the same. Go, Mao and Daisuke! And keep it going to Sochi!

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Maybe Elizaveta will pull an upset, like Mao did back in 2005, in which case, I predict the following:

Elizaveta
Mao
Akiko
Carolina
Alissa
Alena

For the men, Chan. The competition is in Canada, isn't it?

I too have a feeling Tut will win. She is undefeated so far this season and seems to have Kwan-like competition nerves, i.e., none. Akiko and Carolina should both make the podium if they keep skating as they have so far this season. I'm always on edge for both Mao and Alissa. Alena should rightly finish last, but she's a fighter so I won't be shocked if she goes higher.

It's a strange group. Except for Tut, none of the skaters is a paragon of consistency, and I can imagine the podium ending up with anyone on top except Alena.

1 - Elizaveta
2 and 3 - Akiko and Carolina
4 and 5 - Alissa and Mao
6 - Alena

Men's will be the most exciting event with five powerful and/or brilliant skaters fighting for the top. I wonder if Jeremy will relax a little around this event as he's peaked too early in the past. He has to be focused on January - March. I would expect Hanyu to fall back a little after his surprise gold in Russia; he's so young and it would be normal if he were a bit overwhelmed by the pressures of being a contender.

1 and 2 - Patrick and Daisuke
3 and 4 - Jeremy and Javier
5 - Yuzuru
6 - Michal

By comparison, dance and pairs seem almost etched in stone so I'll leave those alone.

Last edited: