"Frozen Teardrop" by Lucinda Ruh (spoilers)! | Golden Skate

"Frozen Teardrop" by Lucinda Ruh (spoilers)!

Nadine

Record Breaker
It finally arrived at my local B&N, after I put in an order for it two weeks ago. :)

Am halfway through it, couldn't put it down, am only taking a minor break to share with others because, honestly, if you haven't read it yet I highly recommend you do so. Not only as a figure skating fan, but also as a human being, especially if you are insightful, empathetic, enjoy beauty, love to learn, and want to know what it is truly like behind the scenes.

Lucinda doesn't hold back, she bleeds, and opens her heart & soul in only the way she can.

Seriously, if you're expecting a book that's like all the other figure skating books I've read over the years, you're going to be surprised because it's nothing like them. She writes the way she spins ~ beautifully, poetically, like an artist painting a picture.

Lol, at first I didn't get it and thought she rambled a bit at the very beginning, but then it was like reading from the skin inside out, kinda like that movie "The Lover". Not literally, lol, but in the way that she writes...

She never mentions names, but she doesn't need to, if you are a figure skating fan you know whom she is describing. ;) And she never blames anybody, just herself, interestingly enough. But then again I'm not surprised, even on the ice she has always seemed to possess a gentle sensitive spirit, with a backbone made of titanium, but underneath very fragile.

Of course a young woman that speaks 6 languages, has lived all over the world, excelled academically & in the arts, whose favorite subject is math, and who lived in Japan from the age of 4 to 17 (among other fascinating facts), of course I should have expected something unique, but yet she manages to surprise me each time I turn a new page.

I may differ in my view on a few things that she says, but that's nothing new, the same goes here on these boards, lol, but I applaud her for being totally open & honest, and most especially being willing to share her first hand account of what it was like to be a figure skater in Japan. Oops, scratch that, an "Alien Barbie" in Japan, which was how she was described by many Japanese. For shedding light on that mysterious world, where most importantly one needs to "save face".

That's just part of her story, there is her time spent in France (as a very young child), Mexico, the USA, China, her troubles with the Swiss F.S. Federation, the physical & mental abuse, her travels on the Trans-Siberian Train, their stop off in Russia circa 1988, her decision to choose figure skating instead of ballet despite receiving an offer from the Royal Ballet of London at age 7, and on & on & on.

Now I'm going to finish this most fascinating book, but before I do so I want to thank Lucinda "light from the heavens" for sharing her story, for opening herself up to the whole world, knowing that there will be critics, but being courageous enough to do so anyway, for wanting to help others, and most importantly to keep her promise to God.

Thank You, Lucinda Ruh! :love:

sorcerer

Final Flight
You've convinced me into buying it overseas via "Rakuten" which is another one of the likes of Amazon in Japan. (We have Amazon too.) It cost me about US$22.00 but I believe it'll worth the price.

Nadine

Record Breaker
Wise move, sorcerer, and one I am sure you will be delighted with. :)

Btw, the cost here in the USA (with tax & an After Thanksgiving 30% off coupon) amounted to $13.75 in total for me. The cost of the book itself is $17.95, not taking into account tax nor coupons. But funny enough it is less expensive if you order it from here: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/s/frozen-teardrop?keyword=frozen+teardrop&store=book (but probably more expensive with shipping/handling). In any case it is far far less expensive than what I've paid for any book. Lol, my Michael Jackson OPUS book cost $250!, and weighed 50 lbs. (wasn't worth it imho; can't lift it & have to wear special white gloves to turn the pages, so I donated it last month).

Now back to Lucinda and her most fascinating book of joy, heaven, magic, heartbreak, injuries, depression, love, God and recovery. I honestly cried like a baby at the end of it, especially when her mother came on and spoke from the heart. You can tell where Lucinda gets her honesty and unconditional love from, as well as from her father. Parents truly are the most special gift. Honor thy mother and thy father, above all imho.

Most tragic of all though was that it took 9 years for Lucinda to find out what ailed her, after seeing doctor after doctor ad infinitum, and taking medicine & pills & various treatments to no avail. Truly heartbreaking. Her quote by Voltaire said it all ~ "Doctors are men who prescribe medicines of which they know little, to cure diseases of which they know less, in human beings of whom they know nothing."

Thank God divine intervention led her to one who finally helped her, believed in her, and diagnosed the source of her pain. Of which she still lives with to this day, mind you, but not to the point it impedes her ability to truly live life to the fullest, which wasn't the case before. What an inspiration Lucinda is to others in never giving up hope, praying, and believing. It just makes me want to cry again, but with joy this time! :love:

Spiritually, the thing that most stays with me was when she was thinking of jumping off that bridge in Tokyo because of the overwhelming physical & emotional pain, but then God's voice saved her. It reminds me of a story I read about one of the survivors of 9/11. I like how both he & Lucinda, total strangers, found peace in nature, as that's where I think God resides the most, when all is quiet, and it's just you & Him, nobody else.

In a way, Lucinda reminds me of a present day Charlotte Oelschlagel, whom only the most dedicated figure skating fan knows of, because her light was dimmed by Sonja for so long, just as Oksana eclipsed Lucinda during their era, but not anymore, not any more.

I dedicate this quote to Lucinda, because it reminds me of her so very much:

“There is a legend about a bird which sings just once in its life, more sweetly than any other creature on the face of the earth. From the moment it leaves the nest it searches for a thorn tree, and does not rest until it has found one. Then, singing among the savage branches, it impales itself upon the longest, sharpest spine. And, dying, it rises above its own agony to outcarol the lark and the nightingale. One superlative song, existence the price. But the whole world stills to listen, and God in His heaven smiles.

For the best is only bought at the cost of great pain.

Driven to the thorn with no knowledge of the dying to come. But when we put the thorn in our breast, we know. We understand. And still we do it. Still we do it.”

Nadine

Record Breaker
I look forward with much anticipation and much relish to discussing the book with you on here, sorcerer. Lol I feel like I'm at a book club. :) Happy Reading! :love:

brightphoton, it's on page 224 of Lucinda's book, wherein she goes into much detail about her diagnosis and its side effects. She was diagnosed with "post-concussion syndrome and related post-traumatic stress disorder".

Basically, it all stemmed from the one thing that gave her the most joy, and what she was reknown for throughout the world, but also was killing her at the same time ~ spinning.

Her greatest asset was also her greatest weakness.

She hasn't spinned since.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I am glad you told me this book is now out....I have been waiting for it. Besides an insite into a great person and skater, I am sure it will blow away a part of the fog that seems to cover the behind the scenes life of the world of ice skating....as a pilot, the first time I saw her in person opening up a Stars on Ice show with a spin, I had to wonder what kind of G-loads were on her head, especially when her head was bent back....I think she is still in the Guiness book of world records for spin rate and we shall have Mathman figure out how many Gs she was pulling....I wish the best for her....
Chris who is happy with 1 G

Dont know if this is appropriate but amazon.com has both Rise DVD and this book with free shipping for under $40...mine are on the way

Last edited:

Nadine

Record Breaker
Thanks for the interesting info., CoyoteChris, about the g-loads. Lucinda does mention in her book that she would actually hear & feel her head crack during the spins, therefore I'm not surprised that as a result of spinning every day for 3-4 hours per day over the course of more than a decade she ended up with such a debilitating & chronic condition, which not only affects her head, but also her entire nervous system, including her stomach, spine, sinuses, glands, et al. The force of the spins would actually make her faint, not enough oxygen...

By the way, I found an interesting video on youtube wherein Lucinda talks about what she's doing with her life now (didn't know she used to coach/mentor Brian Joubert!; nice insight into how hard he is on himself), how she's engaged to a very nice gentleman (whom is now her husband), and most interestingly for me as a figure skating fan was her view on COP and spins. I share her views exactly to a "T" when it comes to this. For instance, somebody like Alissa Czisny, whom is considered one of the best (if not thee best) spinner in the world today, why doesn't she create a brand new spin!?! I've been saying this for what seems like agesssss. That's part of why I used to be down on her in the past, I would like her to be a leader, not just a follower/emulator/copier. She's too unique to waste her talent, especially in this area. Also, imho, the very best create, they don't follow, they blaze their own path! This reminds me of what Scott Hamilton said about Oksana Baiul in 1996:

"She's got the strength of her skating in artistry...her approach to her skating is unique to everybody else in the skating community...and young skaters out there, if you want to be special, follow your own path...she has!"

ps: Lucinda mentions in her book about the importance of leading a "balanced life", as opposed to how she used to lead her life, which was always more, more, more, perfection, perfection, perfection. As a result of overdoing it, she sustained so many injuries, and ultimately led to the chronic pain she has now. I'm glad she pointed that out, something so simple, but something that gets lost in the every day shuffle.

***Note: said video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObTi25wsGhM ***

brightphoton

Medalist
For instance, somebody like Alissa Czisny, whom is considered one of the best (if not thee best) spinner in the world today, why doesn't she create a brand new spin!?!

It's very difficult to create a brand new spin. It's easy to do a variation of a common spin, like the Hamill camel which was a camel transitioning into a sit spin, or Yuna camel which is a bent-leg back camel. Some girl on Youtube did a Kayla catch, which was a biellmann into a haircutter biellmann. That's not really creating a new spin; any random kid on the ice rink can do the same.

Creating a new spin needs to really push the technical envelope. This is where you get true new spins, like Cecilia Colledge's layback spin or Caroline Zhang's pearl spin. Denise Biellmann changed the biellmann spin from an ornamental spin to the hallmark of back flexibility, and Sasha Cohen did the same for the I spin.

I do think skaters overdo the training, along with many other elite athletes. Liu Xiang, Maria Sharapova, and Shawn Johnson famously train(ed) only 3-4 hours day. I think it works out better for them.

Nadine

Record Breaker
Am I seeing things or has my last post disappeared? :confused: Odd that. After all the best discussions are usually the most liveliest, and I think my last post would have generated some of that. :D

Anyhow, moving on, I like your thoughts, brighphoton. But to be totally honest I don't think Caroline Zhang's pearl spin was all that new, though beautiful & unique, it was more a variation of the Biellmann Spin imho.

I'm just sad that none of Lucinda's spins are named after her, she even regrets so and mentions this in her book, in retrospect she sees now that she should have named the spins before performing them. Ah well, hindsight is always 20/20. Blame it all on Dick Button I say, after all he was the first one to call one of her unique creations the "Pancake Spin": :biggrin:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0fvU4wnp34

I've always wanted a skater to do an upsight down Biellmann Spin, if that's even possible, which I believe it would be so with someone that is unusually skinny & limber/flexible, as I think only someone with that type of somatype would be able to execute such a move. Only in my dreams...and in watching Cirque du Soleil...

Btw, the best spinner ever in *my* eyes is hands down Denise Biellmann, not just for the positions, but holy cow the s-p-e-e-d!!!!! :eek: I'll never forget her "Jungle" or "Jungle Rhythms" routine she did way back in 1994/95. It used to be on youtube, but no more. She was wearing a bright red bodysuit and that ending "headless scratch spin" was simply unbelieveable. To this day I'm not sure who spins faster ~ Lucinda or Denise? No matter, I love them both. But that said, Sasha Cohen also deserves 1st prize as well, she was not only super super fast but also her best positions were simply the best in the biz, even today. :bow: Ahh, I pity none are named after her as well. My favorite being the one she did when she was skating to "Swan Lake" in a pro/am I think? Whatever the case, I will never forget the forward scratch spin she did with an unusual double-jointed position wherein she grabbed one of her arms from behind her and somehow managed to hold it like that while she was clocking 1G per revolution most likely. :)^D

Finally, I agree that overdoing it just causes "overuse injuries" and the like, everything in moderation is the key. I recall Lucinda stating in her book that she worked out even more than most Olympic Champions! (8^O A "balanced life" is the way to go. :)^)

brightphoton

Medalist
Speaking of Sasha, I wonder why Sasha never did her "Sasha curl" spiral more often in competition. That was a spiral I had never seen before. It was as close to an unassisted biellmann spiral as it gets.

I disagree with you about Caroline Zhang's pearl. I think sideways biellmann is as close we'll get to an upside down biellmann ...

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
"Frozen Teardrop" for Amazon

If you go to Amazon dot com and type in "Frozen Teardrop" and then click on the book, you will find that Amazon also reccommends you buy
many other fine skating books, and the DVD "Rise". Although the DVD case is the same color and Font as the USFSA DVD Rise, this one is about
fly fishing.....Of course, Amazon will take the DVD back if unopenned but its kind of a PITA to drop it off at a UPS dropoff point.
(Don't ask me how I know this)