Do you have a favourite World Championships ? | Golden Skate

Do you have a favourite World Championships ?

Jtsmith12

On the Ice
My favourite world championships ( for the ladies ) would have to be 1991, 2004, and 2008. For the men it would have to be 2001 and 2004. What about the rest of you ?

icellist

On the Ice
My favourite world championships ( for the ladies ) would have to be 1991, 2004, and 2008. For the men it would have to be 2001 and 2004. What about the rest of you ?

just wondering, why was the 2008 ladies world championship a favorite of yours? I thought that was one of the most "wuzrobbed" competitions. Caroline Kostner had multiple errors the LP and almost won while Yukari Nakano skated lights out with an (underrotated) triple axel. She received a very large standing ovation and still failed to make the podium (6 points off) with two clean skates. Kim Yuna fell on her opening jump of her LP too but still managed to place first in the LP and earn a bronze.

sorry if i made this a wuzrobbing argument. just wanted to know your sentiments

Jtsmith12

On the Ice
LOL I knew that one would get some questions. The main reason ( and the only reason ) I liked 2008 worlds is because that's when I become a Mao fan. I just really enjoyed both her programs fall aside. Since I'm a new fan to figure skating 2008 was the first worlds that I ever watched. So it has a special place in my heart.

LOL I knew that one would get some questions. The main reason ( and the only reason ) I liked 2008 worlds is because that's when I become a Mao fan. I just really enjoyed both her programs fall aside. Since I'm a new fan to figure skating 2008 was the first worlds that I ever watched. So it has a special place in my heart.

Completely understood, Jtsmith12! I have competitions that I love because (skater's name here) was amazing. And, like you, I love Mao and treasure splendid skates of hers. This is a great thread, and it will get some wonderful responses.

I agree with you about 2001, but also for ladies, because that was the year Michelle skated one of my favorite programs, The Black Swan. I go back to the video of it frequently. What was special about the years you mentioned besides 2008 for you?

I think we Browning fans also treasure his Casablanca year, which I think was 1993. He won his fourth world gold that year with this amazing Sandra Bezic program.

MagicFairy

On the Ice
I liked 2008 the most, especially the Ladies and pairs competition! I love Savchenko/Szolkowy´s SP from 2008! I also loved the venue from Goteburg, it had such a nice dramatric atmosphare. :)

Last edited:

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
For me it would be 1996 for all four disciplines. I didn't care who won; it felt like all the skaters were at their peak at the right time. For pairs, I liked 2007. Dance has been great in the last three worlds for me, and I haven't really enjoyed the field of men's skaters as I have since 2001.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
1984, Ottawa Worlds

T&D skated their last competition. Blumberg & Siebert got the bronze they missed in Sarajevo. K&P finished 4th, Barber & Slater skated their awesome Chaplin FD.

Scott Hamilton skated his last competition.
Brian Orser finished 2nd, Brian Boitano 6th, Gary Beacom finished 10th.

Katarina Witt was gorgeous, and Elaine Zayak finished 3rd, Midori Ito finished 7th-the first time I noticed her.

Underhill & Martini finally won pairs. Selezneva & Makarov were 4th (but I was so glad to see them). Burt Lancon practically destroyed Jill Watson in a platter lift. They broke up and she started skating with Peter Oppegard soon after.

1984, Ottawa Worlds

T&D skated their last competition. Blumberg & Siebert got the bronze they missed in Sarajevo. K&P finished 4th, Barber & Slater skated their awesome Chaplin FD.

Scott Hamilton skated his last competition.
Brian Orser finished 2nd, Brian Boitano 6th, Gary Beacom finished 10th.

Katarina Witt was gorgeous, and Elaine Zayak finished 3rd, Midori Ito finished 7th-the first time I noticed her.

Underhill & Martini finally won pairs. Selezneva & Makarov were 4th (but I was so glad to see them). Burt Lancon practically destroyed Jill Watson in a platter lift. They broke up and she started skating with Peter Oppegard soon after.

Ooh, good one, Doris. I remember Zayak's expression of joyous wonderment after she hit her jump. And I was so thrilled for Underhill/Martini, as well as for Blumberg/Siebert, an extraordinary American couple, whose "Scheherezade" was a fantastic piece. Definitely I'll have to check out videos of this and review.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Completely understood, Jtsmith12! I have competitions that I love because (skater's name here) was amazing. And, like you, I love Mao and treasure splendid skates of hers. This is a great thread, and it will get some wonderful responses.

I agree with you about 2001, but also for ladies, because that was the year Michelle skated one of my favorite programs, The Black Swan. I go back to the video of it frequently. What was special about the years you mentioned besides 2008 for you?

I think we Browning fans also treasure his Casablanca year, which I think was 1993. He won his fourth world gold that year with this amazing Sandra Bezic program.

yes yes yes Olympia, The Black Swan! MK! So beautiful.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
1999, because it was the first year I'd been watching figure skating since the very beginning of the season.

silverpond

On the Ice
Sorry for the delay in responding to this thread. Another crazy week at work.

Favorite Worlds
1966 - Peggy Fleming's first World title
1989 - Midori Ito, Kurt Browning, Gordeeva/Grinkov winning.
1990 - Jill Trenary's victory
1991 - US women sweep the medals - Yamaguchi/Harding/Kerrigan
1993 - Oksaka Bauil's victory
1996 - Michelle Kwan's first world title; Todd Eldredge's first world title.
The list is endless!