Favourite Competition | Golden Skate

Favourite Competition

veravina

Rinkside
On the eve of the Grand Prix, what competition do you look forward to most in the skating season? I love the Nationals - and for me that's Canadians. There is always so much high drama and emotion at these events because it can be the beginning or the end of a young skater's career - and sometimes the end of a veteran's career. Some of my favourite performers never made it out of the country. It never fails to be exciting. I also enjoy the Women's finals at the US nationals which I'm lucky enough to be able to see broadcast (most of the time). Its a crazy competition because there are so many talented American women scrambling for those few spots.

I agree with nationals -- of any country that has a lot of skaters in the mix. I am always interested in Japanese Nationals, although I don't get to see it live, because of the drama that someone has to be left off the worlds team. Japanes men will be especially exciting this year. Go Oda!

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
To watch live? Definitely US Nationals... I LOVE being there. I think, though, that Worlds is the one I enjoy watching the most.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
US Nationals, even though I'm Canadian. There always seems to be heightened drama at the US Nats about who will make the world team. Oh, and of course, worlds itself. lol.

krenseby

Final Flight
US Nationals, even though I'm Canadian. There always seems to be heightened drama at the US Nats about who will make the world team. Oh, and of course, worlds itself. lol.

The drama around the US Nationals spills over into interviews with skaters and coaches afterwards. Last year that was the case with Frank and Mirai, and also to some extent with Ashley Wagner. Perhaps even with Jeremy Abbott, though I am not sure.

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
It depends on the discipline for me. For ladies, I've always liked any of the nationals. US, Japan, and Russia because of the many contenders for the 2-3 spots. Canada, to see who rises to the top.

For men and dance, I've started to really like 4CC, because it seems like a precursor to Worlds.

For pairs, both of the continental championships are exciting. Unbelievably, I like the Olympics the least of all the competitions. The skaters seem less into performing, and more into the gold medal.

Last edited: