Yuzuru Hanyu: 2010-12 Season | Page 22 | Golden Skate

Yuzuru Hanyu: 2010-12 Season

kimganos

On the Ice
You might have forgotten the word young here.
Between Yuzu and Brian are freakin' 10 years! I don't think Joubert was as polished and mature with 17 as Hanyu is now...

And just by the way - Hanyu is already more musicial. Of course Hanyu as some weaknesses, but I really think his are 'reparable'. He's good all the talent one can hope for...

And I have to admit I'm sick of hearing people say he's immature... his lovely and beautiful coach (sorry, I just love her!:p) did a perfect job on giving him a choreography that matched this. I wouldn't want to see someone like Joubert, even with his polish, skate that FS. It just wouldn't work, Hanyu portrayed it perfectly. With all that un-polish and youthful 'roughness' he has.
I'm going to miss that programm!!:bow:
(Actually, I might just go and rewatch it now!)

And P.S.: huge agreement on Yuzu having the best 3A-3T out there! His axel in generel, I'd say, is the best in the business by now :)

His program was Sensational! Go and read all the post on his You-tube Freeskate video's! So much positive response for Yuzuru! Very surprized with the above posters comments! How could anyone ever call his 3A unpolished and his quad! Frankly for a 17 year old he skates with amazing maturity! I am going to watch his program again too because it just puts a smile on my face.

kimganos

On the Ice
Yuzuru Hanyu is a good skater but very unpolished and immature in his skating compare to someone like Joubert or Takahashi

This is an absurd comment! How can you compare some like Joubert and Takahashi who are 25 or 26 years old to a 17 year old kid. Yuzuru is extremely polished and mature for a 17 year old and he is being rewarded for it by the judges. His PCS scores were very close to Joubert's who by the way I really like as a skater.

Becki

Medalist
Damn Yuzuru is a marketer's dream. So many decide to watch his LP again and again after talking about him here. Imagine if he endorsed a product, just the mention of his name and people will flock to the stores to buy the product :D

K

kilyca

News.
YUZU's official site suspended. It expand more contents in the next season and seem to reopen.

kimganos

On the Ice
Damn Yuzuru is a marketer's dream. So many decide to watch his LP again and again after talking about him here. Imagine if he endorsed a product, just the mention of his name and people will flock to the stores to buy the product :D

He's going to be very popular for sure!!!!! I'm sure he already has an agent!

FTnoona

Final Flight
And how can you compare 17 year old Yuzuru, who has been in Seniors for two years, to Daisuke and Brian, who have been seniors for at almost 10 years now....

I'd say the comparison is valid because Hanyu is competing with Takahashi and Joubert. I can see why bestskate8 finds Hanyu unpolished. After watching his videos, I noticed that he looks down a lot in his programs. In the sense that his head isn't completely down but he isn't actually looking up either. It's more noticeable in the second half of his programs, so he may be tired and pushing through. It takes a bit away from his performances. Having these problems is somewhat of a good thing, because it means that we as fans have his improvement to look forward to.

Last edited:

phaeljones

On the Ice
hanyu

I'd say the comparison is valid because Hanyu is competing with Takahashi and Joubert. I can see why bestskate8 finds Hanyu unpolished. After watching his videos, I noticed that he looks down a lot in his programs. In the sense that his head isn't completely down but he isn't actually looking up either. It's more noticeable in the second half of his programs, so he may be tired and pushing through. It takes a bit away from his performances. Having these problems is somewhat of a good thing, because it means that we as fans have his improvement to look forward to.

Agreed. Hanyu is in the big leagues amongst his peers now.

I agree that Hanyu has posture and strength issues, but I disagree with anyone who says that his performance was over-scored. He got every one of those points tooth and nail. Right now, he is relying on pure spirit to carry him where he comes up short in his ability to breath (asthma) and maintain posture/endurance (strength), but the results are still competitive. He seems to get into some kind of zone. His jumps are amazing and the stuff inbetween is world calibre as well.

Sometimes when we criticize, we focus on only what is wrong, and then we speak in a context that nothing is right.

Hanyu may have some shortfalls he will have to overcome. But even this year, he has showed competition to competition a constant bettering of his ability. My sixth sense tells me that as now we start to compare Hanyu to others, in a few years we will be comparing others to Hanyu.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
I have always thought Hanyu's PCS was underscored through out the entire season being the newbie on the scene in a year of really strong mens. Only by the time of the world, it manage to catch up with how it should be based on the merit of the program.

It was a solid build up through the entire season with the content difficulty being upgraded all the time. In someways I still think the PCS is somewhat short maybe having the amazing Daisuke in the same competition from the same country means both their score are somewhat undermarked, in particularly Daisuke against Chan.

The Romeo and Juliet program is perfect to complement his raw, fresh and spirited quality at his age, while some may say not as polished, but I'd argue it is precisely these qualities of risky taking somewhat naive, brave and passionately spirited performance that Hanyu has made this program work.

A 'polished romeo' done by a seasoned skater or maybe himself in 5-10 years time might be more aesthetically appealing, but would be utterly false to the essence and the 'truth' of the program which recalls being the cusp of innocence turned passionate, out of control, darkly wild and imminent death, aspiring for spiritual freedom. The UK Eurosport commentators called this possibly one of the best FS performance of all time, and I am in total agreement with them. It has the marking of a signature program written all over it.

Last edited:

Becki

Medalist

Ah, I should put it this way:

I find it unfair to compare the MATURITY and POLISH of Yuzuru to that of Daisuke and Brian. I think maturity and polish comes with experience, which Yuzuru currently lacks because he has only been in seniors for two years, and he's quite young.

If you compare him with someone similar to his age, and with similar senior experience, i.e. Nan Song and Artur Gachinski, that might be a better comparison.

evangeline

Record Breaker
Ah, I should put it this way:

I find it unfair to compare the MATURITY and POLISH of Yuzuru to that of Daisuke and Brian. I think maturity and polish comes with experience, which Yuzuru currently lacks because he has only been in seniors for two years, and he's quite young.

If you compare him with someone similar to his age, and with similar senior experience, i.e. Nan Song and Artur Gachinski, that might be a better comparison.

I think it's fair to compare the maturity and polish of Yuzuru to Daisuke and Brian....mostly because Yuzuru is directly competing against Daisuke and Brian. Yuzuru's relative youth gives him the advantage when it comes to jumps, but puts him at a disadvantage with regards to other qualities. That's life.

It's just one more thing Yuzuru has to work on in the future. And given his drive, determination and talent, I am sure he will succeed.

kimganos

On the Ice
I have always thought Hanyu's PCS was underscored through out the entire season being the newbie on the scene in a year of really strong mens. Only by the time of the world, it manage to catch up with how it should be based on the merit of the program.

It was a solid build up through the entire season with the content difficulty being upgraded all the time. In someways I still think the PCS is somewhat short maybe having the amazing Daisuke in the same competition from the same country means both their score are somewhat undermarked, in particularly Daisuke against Chan.

The Romeo and Juliet program is perfect to complement his raw, fresh and spirited quality at his age, while some may say not as polished, but I'd argue it is precisely these qualities of risky taking somewhat naive, brave and passionately spirited performance that Hanyu has made this program work.

A 'polished romeo' done by a seasoned skater or maybe himself in 5-10 years time might be more aesthetically appealing, but would be utterly false to the essence and the 'truth' of the program which recalls being the cusp of innocence turned passionate, out of control, darkly wild and imminent death, aspiring for spiritual freedom. The UK Eurosport commentators called this possibly one of the best FS program of all time, and I am in total agreement with them. It has the marking of a signature program written all over it.[/QUOT

This is really well said and a great observation. I really loved the British guys as commentators too! Much better then over here in America!

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Hanyu already skates with a maturity and polish that someone like Joubert wishes he had in his career. Joubert mainly jumps but not much else. I give him props for still bringing it at his age but Hanyu has more potential to be a all around skater.

kimganos

On the Ice
Hanyu already skates with a maturity and polish that someone like Joubert wishes he had in his career. Joubert mainly jumps but not much else. I give him props for still bringing it at his age but Hanyu has more potential to be a all around skater.

Right on!

phaeljones

On the Ice

My previous comments might be a bit not clear and I can see by some of the really great comments that followed that I should have been more careful.

I too thought the British guy's commentary was bang on. I thought that the North American commentary was lacking, and I was especially disappointed by Kurt Browning's commentary on CBC at the Montreal event. I too thought that prior to the world championship skate that Hanyu had been underscored and I suspected that it was on the basis that he was a newbie. I don't think that his jumps or his skating is immature. He skates like a polished veteran. His performance at the world championship is the one that I have re-watched the most because I think it is the most amazing performance that I have seen in years. (For me, I have not been so moved by a competitive skating performance since decades ago watching Orser and Boitano skate against each other that night at the Olympics.) Patrick Chan rightly called Hanyu's performance a "lights out" performance. It was not just good enough, it was better than good enough. And this little samurai from Sendai can hold his own just as he is now.

Now to the quoted comment above: Joubert seems to be changing in a lot of ways. Even though Joubert is mature in years, he seems to have shown a fantastic capacity for changing this year. I know that he likely does not have a lot of years still left in him, but if he continues to develop artistically (this year he really was improved), what he comes up with Sochi might be surprising (in a good way). He is undergoing a rebirth that is very beautiful to watch. But he has always been a different style of skater than Hanyu and the two aspire to different directions.

kimganos

On the Ice
My previous comments might be a bit not clear and I can see by some of the really great comments that followed that I should have been more careful.

I too thought the British guy's commentary was bang on. I thought that the North American commentary was lacking, and I was especially disappointed by Kurt Browning's commentary on CBC at the Montreal event. I too thought that prior to the world championship skate that Hanyu had been underscored and I suspected that it was on the basis that he was a newbie. I don't think that his jumps or his skating is immature. He skates like a polished veteran. His performance at the world championship is the one that I have re-watched the most because I think it is the most amazing performance that I have seen in years. (For me, I have not been so moved by a competitive skating performance since decades ago watching Orser and Boitano skate against each other that night at the Olympics.) Patrick Chan rightly called Hanyu's performance a "lights out" performance. It was not just good enough, it was better than good enough. And this little samurai from Sendai can hold his own just as he is now.

Now to the quoted comment above: Joubert seems to be changing in a lot of ways. Even though Joubert is mature in years, he seems to have shown a fantastic capacity for changing this year. I know that he likely does not have a lot of years still left in him, but if he continues to develop artistically (this year he really was improved), what he comes up with Sochi might be surprising (in a good way). He is undergoing a rebirth that is very beautiful to watch. But he has always been a different style of skater than Hanyu and the two aspire to different directions.

I really enjoy reading your intelligent perspective and comments in this forum!

k1ttykatk1t

Rinkside
↑Don't mind!

10:03 Oh, I didn't understand the meaning of the question in Japanese too. Probably a question about mental strength.:confused: So, Yuzu could do nothing but answer "I don't know."

10:21Yuzu said.
" First of all....umm. I became full of fighting spirit in the last competition. er…. As the conclusion, I wanted to complete it properly. I accomplished it only with such a feeling."

Yuzuru talked in Japanese, in this way.
こんにちは、羽生結弦です。いつも応援して下さって、ありがとうございます。これからも皆さんの期待に応えられるように、精一杯頑張っていきますので、皆さんも一緒に頑張っていきましょう。本当にありがとうございます。Thank you for your support. 

***** In English *****
Hello. I am Yuzuru Hanyu. Thank you for always supporting. As come up to everyone's expectations, I will do best efforts, so let's do our best together! Thank you very much. Thank you for your support.

Oh Kilyca, thank you, thank you, thank you so much for your translation work!!! :D:D:D:D:D You are an angel!!!!

k1ttykatk1t

Rinkside

A 'polished romeo' done by a seasoned skater or maybe himself in 5-10 years time might be more aesthetically appealing, but would be utterly false to the essence and the 'truth' of the program which recalls being the cusp of innocence turned passionate, out of control, darkly wild and imminent death, aspiring for spiritual freedom. The UK Eurosport commentators called this possibly one of the best FS program of all time, and I am in total agreement with them. It has the marking of a signature program written all over it.[/QUOT

This is really well said and a great observation. I really loved the British guys as commentators too! Much better then over here in America!

I went back and watched the junior world championships that Hanyu skated in 2009 with the British commentators and they absolutely adored him. You literally hear them falling in love with his skating and realizing his potential. They love that he went for the triple axel at 14 years old, that his technique was amazing, his lightness on the ice, the spins... that he was bouncing to get away from his coach to skate! Haha, I think this is where they first started calling him "The Future".

I for one don't want Hanyu to lose that so-called raw and unpolished style of skating. I absolutely love that fearlessness that he shows and just that very adventurous, warrior spirit that he pours out as he's skating his utmost. I thought Hanyu's short program this season was very mesmerizing. It was a difficult choice of music to skate to and beautifully done. His style reminds me of the old Russian skaters sometimes--when they were young--amazing technique, classic artistry, and soulful depth borne out of discipline and emotional transparency. I kinda wish that he would keep the Romeo program for one more year, but it's okay. I know he'll have something more amazing to offer to the world and hopefully another wonderful story of courage and heroism.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
I went back and watched the junior world championships that Hanyu skated in 2009 with the British commentators and they absolutely adored him. You literally hear them falling in love with his skating and realizing his potential. They love that he went for the triple axel at 14 years old, that his technique was amazing, his lightness on the ice, the spins... that he was bouncing to get away from his coach to skate! Haha, I think this is where they first started calling him "The Future".

I for one don't want Hanyu to lose that so-called raw and unpolished style of skating. I absolutely love that fearlessness that he shows and just that very adventurous, warrior spirit that he pours out as he's skating his utmost. I thought Hanyu's short program this season was very mesmerizing. It was a difficult choice of music to skate to and beautifully done. His style reminds me of the old Russian skaters sometimes--when they were young--amazing technique, classic artistry, and soulful depth borne out of discipline and emotional transparency. I kinda wish that he would keep the Romeo program for one more year, but it's okay. I know he'll have something more amazing to offer to the world and hopefully another wonderful story of courage and heroism.

I just love your description of his style. The sort of rare gem only the young and the restless, the effervesce of youth can bring. Hanyu skated with purpose, a mission set out to prove; with the sort of yearning, wondering, adventurous samurai spirit pushed his performances to a level beyond a routine and medal. The honest transparency you mentioned give clues why Hanyu attracted so many new fans and brought back old fans to this forum and on all those youtube views/comments reveals the potency and infectious of this style and approach.

I also hope he get to keep this style, although it would certainly be difficult with growing physical maturity which would hurt his flexibility and balance in all areas. Growing self awareness and maybe something to loose now. Although given his track record since the Junior days, this FS skate style is hardly developed over night, this was not a once in a life time skate, the sort of lucky skate where others were not in their best form. Hanyu is not an over night sensation, he has been quietly working at it while his rivals been getting over marked since early in the season (Artur, Javier, Florent) it just takes the judges a little while to recognize these merits and let the righteous win eventually. His FS is the best skate of the competition for me, and it shows why PCS is an accountant's game and a fallacy of the COP system.