Yuzuru Hanyu: 2010-12 Season | Page 23 | Golden Skate

Yuzuru Hanyu: 2010-12 Season

Bimbi

Spectator
Hello everyone, I love your posts, Yuzuru is just amazing, he's such an inspiration :)
Kilyca, you're an angel!! I can't thank you enough for your translations.. I didn't know about this forum and I've been trying to get to know more about Yuzuru and Daisuke and the others of team Japan, but I don't understand japanese so it's really difficult.

k1ttykatk1t

Rinkside
I just love your description of his style. The sort of rare gem only the young and the restless, the effervesce of youth can bring. Hanyu skated with purpose, a mission set out to prove; with the sort of yearning, wondering, adventurous samurai spirit pushed his performances to a level beyond a routine and medal. The honest transparency you mentioned give clues why Hanyu attracted so many new fans and brought back old fans to this forum and on all those youtube views/comments reveals the potency and infectious of this style and approach.

I also hope he get to keep this style, although it would certainly be difficult with growing physical maturity which would hurt his flexibility and balance in all areas. Growing self awareness and maybe something to loose now. Although given his track record since the Junior days, this FS skate style is hardly developed over night, this was not a once in a life time skate, the sort of lucky skate where others were not in their best form. Hanyu is not an over night sensation, he has been quietly working at it while his rivals been getting over marked since early in the season (Artur, Javier, Florent) it just takes the judges a little while to recognize these merits and let the righteous win eventually. His FS is the best skate of the competition for me, and it shows why PCS is an accountant's game and a fallacy of the COP system.

Thanks, os168 :D Gosh, I hope the pressure to win medals now is not going to make him more cautious in his skating. I just don't want him to become cautious and careful like Patrick Chan, Takahashi, and so many other skaters. It's hard to get into the skating when you know the skater is thinking too much and being too careful and you're sort of wincing with them and being anxious with them as they are going from jump to jump. I really like how he goes accelerating into each jump and even if he falls, it's okay, because he immediately lands another amazing jump.

I hope he stays with his current coach. She seems to really understand him well. I don't mind if he loses the biellmann spin and ina bauer and the a-spin. I'd love to see him develop his footwork more while keeping that "as light as a feather" quality and speed that he has. Especially in that short program of his, Hanyu looked like a blue leaf floating about on a snowy wintry day. I really think that that footwork sequence was exceptional and yet still filled with so much potential. Maybe he'll develop more of a dramatic, storytelling artistry? like Paul Wylie and the other great skaters from the 80's and 90's?

I miss the old days when the skater who skated the best skate of the evening also got to win the gold medal. It's kind of a bittersweet win if the judges give you first place, but the crowd gives its disapproval and tepid, polite applause.

Becki

Medalist
A new interview :D http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKwqJHgB9U4

From the facebook page Becki posted earlier.

He's so skinny! His necklace is also different.

Oh wow, his voice sounds so deep at the beginning then his giggle is so high pitched! OMG, one of the only times I've seen him in casual wear (aside from the Someone to Love exhibition)....he looks good!

He is indeed skinny, not really news. Motivates me to slim down, I think he might be skinner than me!! Yeah his necklace is different...it's a dog tag now!!!!

Thanks for posting!

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Wow, long thread -too long to read, lol. Baby Hanyu is the "it" male skater. I think Orser will be a good coach, knows CoP so well, DW doing choreo. It isn't a risk-Hanyu will thrive anywhere-he is a champion. I would love to see him on podium in Sochi, even Gold if he skates the best. Just love this boy!

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Thank you. Very good interview.

Well all of the speculation that has been going on about his coaching change is perhaps moot.
Hanyu said it was his decision and he picked Orser after reading a magazine article about Orser and
his training facilities.

Kelly

On the Ice
Just as I originally thought, coach Abe supports Hanyu's decision.
The split is like Patrick Chan and Christy Krall. Both are amicable.:clap:

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
That interview is really great, thanks!=D

His posture is the main point a lot of people dislike, so it should be nice to hear him say he'd like to do dance or ballet lessons.
I'm just glad he really decided the coach change himself. Not sure if Orser is going to be the right coach for him, but once in a while you need to make a big move like that, if you want to keep getting better... better make a mistake now, than later. Training alongside other really strong skaters (Javi!!) should be good for him, as competitive as he is, and I'm sure Wilson will have fun working with him.

And it's always impressive hearing him talk about Tohoku. Such a strong young human, I really just wish him all the best :)

gmyers

Record Breaker
That interview is really great, thanks!=D

His posture is the main point a lot of people dislike, so it should be nice to hear him say he'd like to do dance or ballet lessons.
I'm just glad he really decided the coach change himself. Not sure if Orser is going to be the right coach for him, but once in a while you need to make a big move like that, if you want to keep getting better... better make a mistake now, than later. Training alongside other really strong skaters (Javi!!) should be good for him, as competitive as he is, and I'm sure Wilson will have fun working with him.

And it's always impressive hearing him talk about Tohoku. Such a strong young human, I really just wish him all the best :)

His falls are terrible and it takes him so long to get up - then at the end of programs he looks like he can't breathe at all is going to collapse. I do not enjoy his skating at all because it doesn't look like he can handle skating physically. I don't really think of posture.