Mirai's long program | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Mirai's long program

krenseby

Final Flight
It's true that Americans were (and still are) spoiled by Kwan. Cohen got the "inconsistent" label in Kwan's shadow when in today's skating atmosphere, she'd fit right in.

The real problem people had with Sasha was not her "inconsistency." If she had managed to win Worlds or the Olympics while being inconsistent, a lot of people would have been much happier with her.

Last edited:

macy

Record Breaker
OK let's say Rachael withdrew from her events. Who would fill in for her instead? And how would that person do?

For heaven sake's people are acting like she finished last at World Championships or she didn't qualify for the free skate. She still finished 12th out of 44th skaters. Sonia Lafuente got a GP event and she didn't even qualify for the free skate at Worlds. And she scored an 86.81 at her FS. (Rachel scored 94.27 at COR) So is she an embarrassment to the sport too? Should she have not bothered to compete?

If Rachael wasn't last, someone else would be. Finishing last at an invitational event is not an indication that person is a terrible skater and should be banned for the sport. It indicates she is struggling among the elites.

I get that some of you don't like Rachael's skating that's fine. But to say she didn't deserve the right to compete is not right. At least she wants to be there, struggles and all.

I also agree about Rachael...as far as her performance at 2011 worlds, i really dont think she didn't withdraw to be selfish, not giving up is what athletes do. yeah she probably should have gave it more thought and consideration, but i respect her decision to push herself through.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Look at Sarah Hughes after her OLY gold. She was a shadow of Olympic Sarah, with weight gain, not enough training.

Sarah chose to lead a normal life as a high school senior after her OGM win, and she cut back her training time from 30 hours a week before the Olympics to 10 hours a week. Then, when she went to Yale, she hung up her skates and didn't put them back on for more than a year, until she started training for SOI. At that point, she was very out of shape (freshman 15 on top of the weight she'd gained her high school senior year) and had lost all her jumps except for a single axel and a double salchow. Since graduating from Yale, she's become trim and slim, but that didn't help her regain her technical skills: she's now doing Disson shows with no jumps at all.

But there are big differences between Rachael and Sarah. Sarah put her skates away while going to Yale, while Rachael is attempting to train while attending college. Sarah seemed to have lost her competitive drive along with her reluctance to practice after winning the big prize. Rachael, OTOH, is committed to getting back in competitive shape.

ivy

On the Ice
I've only seen Mirai at Cup of China, thought is was OK, a bit underskated. Dress is horrible - all that gathering around her middle looks like a muffin top.

How about Rohene Ward for a choreographer. He's young, fresh, sort of quirky, skated under CoP. Bet he'd work hard to find music and a program that suits her.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I've only seen Mirai at Cup of China, thought is was OK, a bit underskated. Dress is horrible - all that gathering around her middle looks like a muffin top.

How about Rohene Ward for a choreographer. He's young, fresh, sort of quirky, skated under CoP. Bet he'd work hard to find music and a program that suits her.

I've been impressed with Rohene Ward since I've seen Jason Brown's programs. They are so well-choreographed! And yes, he seems to make the most of Brown's programs despite the fact he doesn't have a 3A yet. (hope it comes soon!)

Also I've been really impressed with Pasquale Camerlengo this year too. Obviously he's more well known, but it just seems that he's been able to take the skaters he works with to another level (see Daisuke's and Akiko's long programs this year...LOVE THEM!)

mskater93

Record Breaker
^^^
I understand Jason Brown asked Santa to drop the 3A in his skates for Christmas. :laugh:

christinaskater

Medalist
If she doesn't like the music of Sparctacus I hope she would skate to "Mediatation of the Thai's" or a piece of music she loves!

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
If she doesn't like the music of Sparctacus I hope she would skate to "Mediatation of the Thai's" or a piece of music she loves!

Her skating to Meditation would be as much of a snoozer as Spartacus IMO. She needs a piece that has at least some uptempo parts to let her personality shine.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Her skating to Meditation would be as much of a snoozer as Spartacus IMO. She needs a piece that has at least some uptempo parts to let her personality shine.

Not to mention it was Yuna's OLY exhibition piece which was also a snoozefest of underskating after two great, fun programs. I'd like to see Mirai skate to upbeat music. How about Irina's former choreographer Guiseppe Arena? Is he still around? Marina/Igor are the best ice dance choreogs imho and us based. Marina can do singles, dance, pairs. I hope Mirai reads this thread. The costume and lovely smiles are needed. She does look ice queenly as someone said. Is she channeling her inner Yuna this year. Is she trying to channel Alissa's reserve? She is reminding me of Helen Mirren playing the Queen of England! Cold, chilling, stone faced.

Mirai, you are missing in action honey, and we know who you are. Shae Lynn and Jeff Buttle would be a good change. Funny, last year's exhibition peice was annoyingly cutie and Mirai seemed not into it. Grasping at straws for next year, Stephane Lambiel? Anyone but Lori please! Too many skaters using retread music from Miss Nichols.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Think Mirai tries too hard to live up to the impression of Michelle Kwan, she should learn and realise what makes her being exceptional is because she is Mirai who has an effervescence no one can bring when she connect with the program. She need to bring her joyful Mirai back!

Personally I'd love her to do West Side Story: I want to live in a America! Think she would fit the music, understand the mood (jubilation, spirited) and do the presentation justice! I can imagine as the tempo quickens, her skating gets more up tempo and more adrenaline rushed, just like her Carmen and her Pirate... it could be so exiting and fun!

Don't know why people find Yuna's Meditation De Thais as a snoozefest, they must don't have eyes or ears (or heart) and likely to be prejudiced at the start, and I would hardly describe Gershwin as a fun program either! Weird! (For those who think the music is boring, it has been voted in UK's Classic FM's favourite beautiful Classic music ever written. I guess the many UK classic fm listeners would disagree with you)

Last edited:

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Mirai isn't in the best shape which doesn't help her either. Add her lack of confidence and that's why she sometimes skates like a zombie. She just doesn't seem happy skating but if she's going to she should try to actual perform her programs. Say what you want about Leonove but she performs the hell out of programs no matter how crappy they are.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Think Mirai tries too hard to live up to the impression of Michelle Kwan, she should learn and realise what makes her being exceptional is because she is Mirai who has an effervescence no one can bring when she connect with the program. She need to bring her joyful Mirai back!

Personally I'd love her to do West Side Story: I want to live in a America! Think she would fit the music, understand the mood (jubilation, spirited) and do the presentation justice! I can imagine as the tempo quickens, her skating gets more up tempo and more adrenaline rushed, just like her Carmen and her Pirate... it could be so exiting and fun!

Don't know why people find Yuna's Meditation De Thais as a snoozefest, they must don't have eyes or ears (or heart) and likely to be prejudiced at the start, and I would hardly describe Gershwin as a fun program either! Weird! (For those who think the music is boring, it has been voted in UK's Classic FM's favourite beautiful Classic music ever written. I guess the many UK classic fm listeners would disagree with you)
Why is it any criticism or less than slavish praise of Yuna brings out a fellow Korean (likely) who sees her every breath as God sent?

I am a big Yuna fan, she is lovely, and enjoy many things about her skating. I found the Gershwin piece enjoyable, as in fun to watch because it was light and she skated every nuance perfectly. Gershwin music is fun! Great choreo done masterfully made her SP (really fun) and her LP fun. It was not transcendental for me, just great skating. I use the word fun because it was. I am not the only Yuna fan that was underwhelmed by her exhibition.

I love the music and BTW I have a big heart. I found that program nowhere near what Yuna can do. I think she was exhausted, not great choreo, she popped a triple and it was not even a great dress.Dowdy and colorless/too plain. I see what they were going for in the package, but it didn't sing. Sorry, not my fault. I know you are a Yuna uber, but please don't call people heartless if they were expecting a great exhibition and were a little disappointed. She did however skate with emotion/connection. I would have preferred she reprise her SP. Exhibition skates at these huge events are often a letdown. I guess I am comparing it to her two Oly programs which were perfect for her, (and I had fun!).

Maybe had she lost, we might have had a Fields of Gold moment. So just because I had a criticism, please don't attack me ubers! I agree this piece of music is not for Mirai. At least not at this stage of her development.

We are on the same page regarding MN's bubbly, sparkly personality not being showcased. I mean no offense to fan of Queen Yuna, who I miss much. I love the idea of West Side Story. Brilliant.:)

Last edited:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Mirai isn't in the best shape which doesn't help her either. Add her lack of confidence and that's why she sometimes skates like a zombie. She just doesn't seem happy skating but if she's going to she should try to actual perform her programs. Say what you want about Leonove but she performs the hell out of programs no matter how crappy they are.

Yes, I would agree with that, but only when she's doing well. All that bubbly energy gets sucked right out of her once she makes a few mistakes. But that hasn't happened as much, so your point stands.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Why is it any criticism or less than slavish praise of Yuna brings out a fellow Korean (likely) who sees her every breath as God sent?

Uh... no, not Korean, not even close! Just a fair minded Brit who's uber about describe things accurately. What about you? Are you Japanese?

I am glad you like the idea of West Side Story: I want to live in America... I think she can connect to it and make it:yay: more than Spartacus!

I agree with you about Thais, os168. One of Oksana Baiul's most memorable programs was performed to this music, and people still talk about it. It may not be Mirai's style. I can imagine Caroline Zhang doing a grand job with it if she ever recovers her skills; she was always more ethereal.

But I do think Gershwin is fun. All of his "big three" orchestral pieces, Rhapsody in Blue, the Piano Concerto in F, and An American in Paris, are jam-packed with music that would make a great skate (and has made many wonderful programs, as we've seen). It needs really dynamic choreography, and it must be skated with smoothness and confidence.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Sometimes i wonder if Frank and Lori aren't trying to make Mirai another Michelle clone. They should both realize that Mirai isn't that kind of skater and that she needs something uptempo and fun.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker

os168, please reread your comment. When you suggest that people who disagree with you don't have eyes, ears or heart and are likely to be prejudiced from the start, it's hard to actually debate and give you reasons for the viewpoint. Please be more respectful.

As for Nagasu.... I'm on Buttercup's side here.

a) Lori Nichol is capable of great things. I don't think Spartacus is one of them.

b) Nagasu doesn't really seem to believe in the music or program, so she comes off as lifeless and dull.

c) I'm not convinced that Carroll is the right coach for Nagasu, not understanding or knowing all the particulars. While I understand those who are frustrated with coach hopping, seeking that one magic bullet to cure-all ills, I think repeatedly doing the same things trying to get a different result is just as frustrating.

Last edited:

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
os168, please reread your comment. When you suggest that people who disagree with you don't have eyes, ears or heart and are likely to be prejudiced from the start, it's hard to actually debate and give you reasons for the viewpoint. Please be more respectful.

lol.. okay sorry i was in a snarky mood. No offence intended...But when i read comment like describing the most beautiful music around as a snooze fest, I am not sure how I am suppose to react. I 'respectfully disagree' would seem just as a snoozy reaction? :p

Re Olympia:

I agree George Gershwin's Rhapsody in Blue and American in Paris are generally jolly good ole romantic adventures, the music themselves are almost cinematic as they sweep over you. But imo this particular cut of Concerto in F has been focused more on the languid sophistication that really stands out from Gershwin's typical exuberance. It's full of grand but elegant romantic gestures that are variously cool, gorgeous and sublime, that thankfully Yuna was able to bring them into aspect of her performance.

Last edited:

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

I don't think Meditation is a boring piece--Shen & Zhao and Caroline Zhang both skated memorable programs to that music. But I do agree that Yu Na's Meditation was boring. Maybe it just isn't meant for exhibition skating.

I think that the Meditation is great for exhibition skating, but it has to be choreographed and interpreted with a lot of richness. There's also the subjective element: what's incredibly rich for me may be a snooze for someone else. Different strokes for different folks. As with os168 and I'm sure a lot of other skating fans, I love classical music, and we classical fans probably have a higher tolerance for certain kinds of slow music.

There's also the possibility that a piece like that would have more texture if it were performed as a duet, either by a pair or by an ice dance couple. Imagine a pair like Bereshnaya/Sikharulidze, or, since it's French, Annissina/Piezerat or even the French-Canadian couple Dubreuil/Lauzon.

Last edited: