I missed the NBC 2 hour COR -! How was it? Who got covered? | Golden Skate

I missed the NBC 2 hour COR -! How was it? Who got covered?

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Thanks for info..not sure if question belongs in the competition folder...?

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
They showed the LP of the last groups of Ladies and Men, plus D/W.

For a change, I watched it on a big screen TV and the differences in skill levels were much more evident than on a smaller TV and of course online videos. Imagine them live! My favorites ware Jeremy Abbott, D/W, and Mao Asada.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Darn it.:mad:.too much going on, shoulda printed out the schedule long ago. I'm gonna check the comp. folder as I do not even know when the finals are or if they will be covered by NBC. I just have a 32 inch TV. Only during skating season do I wish I had a big screen! Thanks.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Darn it.:mad:.too much going on, shoulda printed out the schedule long ago. I'm gonna check the comp. folder as I do not even know when the finals are or if they will be covered by NBC. I just have a 32 inch TV. Only during skating season do I wish I had a big screen! Thanks.

GPF is next weekend. most of the coverage will be on Universal Sports here in the USA

The program that knocked my socks off was Davis/White. I am beyond amazed by it. Because they're American, our TV network deigned to show them to us. Otherwise we wouldn't have gotten a chance to see them.

I was more relieved than anything to watch Mao. Her jumps are still not secure, but the rest of her skating is exquisite. As for the men, I didn't really watch. I had to prepare for a visitor, and there were dishes to wash. I half-heard, and everyone seems to have done pretty well.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I rarely watch American TV and I find the commentary very poor today. I missed the first few minutes so I'm not sure who they were, a man and a woman, during the first part, but I did catch that Michael Weiss was one of the later two. One of them kept referring to PCS as Artistic Scores as if it were the 6.0 system. No mention of possible UR or downgrades, only about the landing of the jumps, which were obvious, and annoyingly doing fluff pieces during the performances. I think the general viewers and casual fans would be quite misguided instead of informed. In Canada, Kurt Browning even does some coaching while commenting these days! :cool:

I wish they had shown W/P silver medal performance as I remember how their dance was very different from D/W's but quite exciting and excellent. I'd have loved to see it on the big screen TV. D/W was wonderful but there was no other team to compare them to whereas Abbott and Asada were clearly in their own league compared to the field even though they had jump problems.

heyang

Record Breaker
I have to say that I miss Dick Button's commentary....

I think it was Tara Lipinksi commentating on the Ladies....

lavender

Record Breaker
They showed the LP of the last groups of Ladies and Men, plus D/W.

For a change, I watched it on a big screen TV and the differences in skill levels were much more evident than on a smaller TV and of course online videos. Imagine them live! My favorites ware Jeremy Abbott, D/W, and Mao Asada.

I agree. I missed most of it but I saw Jeremy and wow. I have a 50 inch and his skating skills are gorgeous. He's so smooth and just glides.

I was mad I missed most of it. I forgot to check because it comes on Sunday most of the time.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
The dancers don't jump or throw so they stay on a more even keel emotionally and energetically. Performance is the major and contineous focus through their program.

Do we know why that is, Math? Is the new system just impossible to for singles skaters to carry out, with one or two exceptions? Imagine if baseball was so hard to play (a 30-pound bat, maybe) that only two or three players in the whole major league could ever hit the ball. Would this sport attract fans? I'm just saying.

Vash01

Medalist
I have to say that I miss Dick Button's commentary....

I think it was Tara Lipinksi commentating on the Ladies....

I used to like his commentary but not in the last few years.

I missed the entire telecast because I did not keep track of what time it would be. I had seen the programs on icenetwork, so I was not too disappointed though. Now looking forward to the GPF......

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
Watched NBC coverage too. Mao was clearly artistically in the class of her own. I loved her program despite of a few jump mistakes, and very happy she won. I loved Yuzuru's LP. He was great! I could easily forget his nasty fall in footwork because his over all impression to me were overwhelmingly favored him to be the rightful winner, even though his actual score bearly passed Fernandez. I love Fernandez too. This year's European will be very interesting. Can't wait to see it. I looooooooove D&W's this program. So perfectly beautiful. Even though I love V&M very much too, I'll give D&W's this program an edge.

The special treat - Plushenko's short interview at the end.:love:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I rarely watch American TV and I find the commentary very poor today. I missed the first few minutes so I'm not sure who they were, a man and a woman, during the first part, but I did catch that Michael Weiss was one of the later two. One of them kept referring to PCS as Artistic Scores as if it were the 6.0 system. No mention of possible UR or downgrades, only about the landing of the jumps, which were obvious, and annoyingly doing fluff pieces during the performances. I think the general viewers and casual fans would be quite misguided instead of informed. In Canada, Kurt Browning even does some coaching while commenting these days! :cool:

I wish they had shown W/P silver medal performance as I remember how their dance was very different from D/W's but quite exciting and excellent. I'd have loved to see it on the big screen TV. D/W was wonderful but there was no other team to compare them to whereas Abbott and Asada were clearly in their own league compared to the field even though they had jump problems.

ladies commentators were Tara Lipinski (who I enjoy over a lot of the other ladies we've had over the years) and Terry Gannon
mens commentators were Michael Weiss and Terry Gannon

Terry was the third wheel on the ABC broadcasts... he has really come to enjoy skating since he started in the 90s.

Bdan

Rinkside
Does anyone know why Agnes Zawadski's last jump combo didn't count? They didn't even cover the American ladies:(

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
One of the reasons that the dancers' skating skills are :love: fabulous is that footwork is their bread and butter, and the step sequences are their highest counting elements; their quads if you will.

Another reason is 4 words: Igor Shpilband and Marina Zoueva, who embraced COP and set out to learn it and exploit early on. Because S&Z have so many students, they have had an uplifting effect on the entire discipline in being COP friendly.

A third reason is that a requirement in dance is to attempt to have the appearance of effortless, seamless performance. A fall is considered extremely disruptive, even when that fall happens to a highly ranked team, especially if the fall occurs during an element. Compare P&B's SD score with and without a fall:

P&B SD Skate America

P&B SD TEB