Senior Ice Dance SD at 2:00 EST | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Senior Ice Dance SD at 2:00 EST

emma

Record Breaker
thanks, SB! I don't like the end pose either but the rest is great!

ivy

On the Ice
Hey Doris - Thanks from me too for the detailed break down. I tried to read some judges score sheets earlier this year but didn't get very far. Not sure if I'll ever get to a point where I know the N is because Tessa missed a hard edge ... hmm ....

Interesting about this whole Latin thing too. When I hear Latin used as an adjective by itself I just assume it referring generically to people whose language is derived from Latin, or the culture they create. I'm glad to know that Flamenco and Paso Double aren't really Latin dances, or at least aren't called that within the ballroom/ice dancing community.

Watched all the programs. Enjoyed V/M the most, though D/W a lot too. Feel unqualified to say who was better.

SB - At least Meryl's hiding behind Charlie in the final pose - a little discretion ;)

Can anyone tell me what the Shibs' first complicated move is? It's always video'd from behind Alex, but Maia is behind him and I can't see what's happening. It looks as though she falls and he scoops her up, but since it always looks exactly the same way, I guess it's not a fall! But what the heck is it?

jcoates

Medalist
Can anyone tell me what the Shibs' first complicated move is? It's always video'd from behind Alex, but Maia is behind him and I can't see what's happening. It looks as though she falls and he scoops her up, but since it always looks exactly the same way, I guess it's not a fall! But what the heck is it?

Its just a transitional assisted jump (sort of a somersault) which is pretty common to both ice dance and ballroom dance. Not a scored element.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I'm starting another thread in this part of the forum for an opportunity for anyone who wants to take a look, element by element, at how the judges scored the SD. I've got the videos indexed to the right place in each case, so you should be able to do a basic side by side of the elements.

Hope you all like it.

jcoates

Medalist
Awesome idea Doris. We can all use a deeper understanding of ice dance scoring since it's more subtle. I think many fans judge dance purely on personal opinion/impression/preference rather than on substance because it's not as easily understood as obvious jumps and spins would be.

emma

Record Breaker
I'm starting another thread in this part of the forum for an opportunity for anyone who wants to take a look, element by element, at how the judges scored the SD. I've got the videos indexed to the right place in each case, so you should be able to do a basic side by side of the elements.

Hope you all like it.

:points: thanks!! you are awesome!! :rock: can't wait to learn from this!! :party2:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
As for the Latin feel of all the dances, one of the hallmarks of Latin dance (and I understand there's great diversity in it) is hip action. And it must be really hard to do much hip swaying while stroking or doing footwork. I have yet to see any team do it. Maybe it can't be translated to ice. A shame if so.

I think that's why if there's any hip action they aren't skating around they're "standing still" and shakin' their booty.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I will be SO glad at the end of this season when the Latin SD is over and done with. I felt the same way some years back when the OD was the tango. After that season, I couldn't hear tango music without feeling very annoyed.

Serious Business

Record Breaker
I think that's why if there's any hip action they aren't skating around they're "standing still" and shakin' their booty.

It's just not the same. One thing I love about Latin dance in all its forms is watching dancers travel around the stage, the floor, the street or even the beach while their hips spin around in their own orbit. It's like a dance within a dance. It's just not the same when done standing still.

I will be SO glad at the end of this season when the Latin SD is over and done with. I felt the same way some years back when the OD was the tango. After that season, I couldn't hear tango music without feeling very annoyed.

Do you not like Latin music? But there's such a great variety used. Dancers are using not just totally different songs but totally different genres of rhythm, music and mood. It has to be a lot less repetitive than tango.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
It's just not the same. One thing I love about Latin dance in all its forms is watching dancers travel around the stage, the floor, the street or even the beach while their hips spin around in their own orbit. It's like a dance within a dance. It's just not the same when done standing still.

I agree, the closest I've seen are Natalie and Fabian towards the end of their SD, but they just aren't used to that sort of action so it's a little "muted".

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Davis and White were phenomenal. Very impressed with how much they've come along with this style and really made it their own.

Virtue and Moir's program is just not what it needs to be. The musical choice with the first third is especially ineffective. I wish they would have just kept their opening from last year's FD and then altered the rest of the program from there. All 3 different musical cuts aren't needed either and I think the mish-mash in this shorter program really distracts the whole picture.

blackswanphoto

On the Ice
Davis and White were phenomenal. Very impressed with how much they've come along with this style and really made it their own.

Virtue and Moir's program is just not what it needs to be. The musical choice with the first third is especially ineffective. I wish they would have just kept their opening from last year's FD and then altered the rest of the program from there. All 3 different musical cuts aren't needed either and I think the mish-mash in this shorter program really distracts the whole picture.

I agree. Their SD is so pedestrian. I would have placed them 4th behind the French team and W/P. I wish people would stop trying to compare them to one of the all time greats like D/W. Maybe a few years ago, but now it's really no comparison.

CassAgain

On the Ice
I expected V/M to be up a point or two because that's the way things have unfolded so far this season. Then after the fall, I expected D/W to be up a point or two. The 76 was pretty shocking to me as I was just able to follow the scores and not the actual skates at work yesterday. After pouring over Doris's excellent analysis thread, though, the scores make sense. Aside from Moir's fall, which I agree he recovered very well from; it really threw her off more than it did him, it's been an excellent competition so far. I wouldn't be surprised to see any of the last four teams surge to the bronze. I think with a five point lead, D/W would have to melt down fairly epically to lose gold at this point, but stranger things have happened.

jan

On the Ice
I agree. Their SD is so pedestrian. I would have placed them 4th behind the French team and W/P. I wish people would stop trying to compare them to one of the all time greats like D/W. Maybe a few years ago, but now it's really no comparison.

That is hilarious. All time greats D/W?...no comparison? it is fine to not like a program but to then make outrageous comments really loses any credibility of your commentary.

KKonas

Medalist
That is hilarious. All time greats D/W?...no comparison? it is fine to not like a program but to then make outrageous comments really loses any credibility of your commentary.

Tsk! Tsk! blackswanphoto. You should know by now that only V&M ubers can make these comments. :)