Wildstorm

Rinkside
Mens long program GPF

Wasn't that EPIC!!!!!!

1st- Patrick Chan
2nd- Daisuke Takahashi
3rd- Javier Fernandez

What was your favourite moment?
Did the placements pan out the way you hoped/predicted?
Who did you think should have won?

... now I'm going to go back outside and continue painting a portrait of Dai on my rink and reminice on that gorgeous program :love:

Becki

Medalist
This type of judging just cements the further demise of figure skating. The general public doesn't understand it and neither do the majority of skating fans and skating commentators. It's quite sad. :frown:

I just can't agree more. To make a sport more popular, the fans have to understand it, let alone spectators. I think that's why Hockey is so much more popular in Canada, I don't get that frustrated over a lose because I understand why =_=

StellaCampo

On the Ice
I never understood PCS. Never will. We might as well abolish PCS, bring back the artistic presentation section, and a completely separate Compulsory type session to judge skating skills.

FTnoona

Final Flight
This type of judging just cements the further demise of figure skating. The general public doesn't understand it and neither do the majority of skating fans and skating commentators. It's quite sad. :frown:

I'd agree with you on that. What puzzles me the most is the way the PCS are judged according to skater. What constitutes a 7 in INT vs an 8.5 in INT. But then again the thing I've come to accept about this sport no matter what type of scoring system is that most of the score is determined by the taste of the judges.

Becki

Medalist
I agree...I thought I'd see a better skate from Chan tonight and I would have been fine with him winning the free without the mistakes, but I don't like to see this kind of performance winning, no matter who does it. The components marks always seem so close together for a given skater; they should be judged separately. I really don't see how Chan had the best interpretation or performance/execution in particular. Yeah, he's got fantastic skating skills and transitions...so why does that automatically mean he gets the highest PCS across the board?

I never understood the PCS...it's so subjective :S I mean someone giving Daisuke a 5.50 on transitions, while other judges are giving him at least a 7.50 =S I have nothing against Patrick, just frustrated with how CoP works....

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
What a complete joke. This was actually a great competition, and then you get such judging, you just want to beat your head against the wall. I can understand Patrick winning based on the SP score, but for him to beat Daisuke is just an insult. It's not like Patrick is the only skater with great skating skills. Arguably, Daisuke shows far better interpretation, musicality and performance.

In the protocols, one judge gave Dai scores in the 5s and 6s. He or she needs to be investigated NOW.

Do you think it could be a mistake? That is really ridiculous. I hope that Dai's camp questions those marks.

enlight78

Medalist
Some of you guys are so biased. One only deserve to when if like there style and they are the cleanest. For the basic principle of COP has be the same since the beginning. Who ever does the most and earn the most points when. No matter how many mistakes. Patrick did two quads, tripla axel and triple triple, Once again difficulty wins- No else did more tonight. As soon as people can get over the chip of spotless programs on their shoulder understand when people are pushing their limits they won't be perfect they can start enjoying the program and stop hating on people who are being rewarded for pushin the limits of what they can do.

MrScroogeMcDuck

On the Ice
Here is the thing about PCS. In theory, it isn't such a bad idea to divide it up that way. And judges do get training in what each component means. But there are other factors involved here and PCS is a great way for certain games to be played.

FTnoona

Final Flight
Some of you guys are so biased. One only deserve to when if like there style and they are the cleanest. For the basic principle of COP has be the same since the beginning. Who ever does the most and earn the most points when. No matter how many mistakes. Patrick did two quads, tripla axel and triple triple, Once again difficulty wins- No else did more tonight. As soon as people can get over the chip of spotless programs on their shoulder understand when people are pushing their limits they won't be perfect they can start enjoying the program and stop hating on people who are being rewarded for pushin the limits of what they can do.

But isn't that just the TES part of the COP? I would argue that Dai, Hanyu, and Javier did just as much difficulty in the terms you are putting it as Chan. It's reflected in their TES score. What about the PCS?

Last edited:

Leonardo

Final Flight

I don't know how can someone call this a sport, at least in men's figure skating. It's a complete joke. This robbery is totally ruining the excitement and any good reason we find to watch figure skating. How many times Patrick Chan needs to fall in order to lose to anybody, even to a fantastic skater like Daisuke nowadays? He can fall 1, 2, even 3 times and he ALWAYS wins, no matter how he and the others perform. And this happened SO MANY times. There's no need to make competitions, the results are already decided. They should already give all the golds to Pchiddy until Sochi . He can fall 3 times, mess up all the jumps, it doesn't matter, the judges always find a way. 87+ PCS, +2 and +3 in everthing (unless he falls), and there you go, a 170+ score. Looks like RG and the russians, but it's getting even worse.

Becki

Medalist
I don't know how can someone call this a sport, at least in men's figure skating. It's a complete joke. This robbery is totally ruining the excitement and any good reason we find to watch figure skating. How many times Patrick Chan needs to fall in order to lose to anybody, even to a fantastic skater like Daisuke nowadays? He can fall 1, 2, even 3 times and he ALWAYS wins, no matter how he and the others perform. And this happened SO MANY times. There's no need to make competitions, the results are already decided. They should already give all the golds to Pchiddy until Sochi . He can fall 3 times, mess up all the jumps, it doesn't matter, the judges always find a way. 87+ PCS, +2 and +3 in everthing (unless he falls), and there you go, a 170+ score. Looks like RG and the russians, but it's getting even worse.

Sadly, this is how I feel too :S It's hard not to feel that way when you're just watching it as a spectator. I do have a basic understanding of CoP, but it has ruined the beauty of figure skating for me.

skateflower

Match Penalty
. Patrick did two quads, tripla axel and triple triple, Once again difficulty wins- No else did more tonight. As soon as people can get over the chip of .

It's just so laughable that you make it sound Chan did something extraordinary tonight in terms of difficulty. Chan did two flawed quads, only 1 3A. The gold standard in men's LP is 2 3A.
The spanish kid landed cleanly 2 types of quads, 2 3As!
The Japanish kid landed 1 clean quad, 2 clean 3As.
Takahashi landed 1 flawed quad, 2 clean 3As!

Becki

Medalist
I loved Yuzuru's performance tonight! he was a real fighter! :) I loved his cute reaction at the end. He can only get better with time ^_^

Becki

Medalist
Wasn't that EPIC!!!!!!

1st- Patrick Chan
2nd- Daisuke Takahashi
3rd- Javier Fernandez

What was your favourite moment?
Did the placements pan out the way you hoped/predicted?
Who did you think should have won?

... now I'm going to go back outside and continue painting a portrait of Dai on my rink and reminice on that gorgeous program :love:

Haha there's another thread dicussing the GPF in competitions folder. This is like the Skate Canada results, just reverse second and third. I really hope Daisuke would win, but oh well, you don't have to find the GPF to be a champion in our hearts :) I loved his performance, his program....he just took my breathe away. PChan lacked that spark :(

enlight78

Medalist
It's just so laughable that you make it sound Chan did something extraordinary tonight in terms of difficulty. Chan did two flawed quads, only 1 3A. The gold standard in men's LP is 2 3A.
The spanish kid landed cleanly 2 types of quads, 2 3As!
The Japanish kid landed 1 clean quad, 2 clean 3As.
Takahashi landed 1 flawed quad, 2 clean 3As!

That is my point exacatly.He did just as much difficulty if not more as they did yet people are upset he scored about the same as they did te's. And nobody was clean. Yet people feel robbed the pratrick won

MrScroogeMcDuck

On the Ice
[/B]

Do you think it could be a mistake? That is really ridiculous. I hope that Dai's camp questions those marks.

Doubtful. The 5.5 was for Transitions and the 6.75 was for Choreo. The other marks by that judge for Dai were higher, but still relatively low. (7.75 for SS) One low mark could be a mistake. A set of such marks, whether deserved or not, is intentional.

Last edited:

Leonardo

Final Flight
I loved Yuzuru's performance tonight! he was a real fighter! :) I loved his cute reaction at the end. He can only get better with time ^_^

Ita. I loved how he laughed at himself watching his reaction in the end of that program. So cute (and johnny wier-ish haha)!