Junior Competitors and Predictions | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Junior Competitors and Predictions

nadster

Final Flight
Does anyone happen to know how many spots we have for junior worlds?

1 ladies spot ( must do the qualifying FS at JW )
2 dance spots ( both go straight to SD )
2 mens spots ( 1 direct entry to SP - lower ISU ranked skater must do qualifying )
3 pairs spots ( 2 direct to SP - the 3rd may have to do qualifying skate depending on how many entries )

Rachmaninoff

Final Flight
right when the wikipedia page loads and before it goes to the blackout thing press ESC, it locks the page in place

Oooh, thanks!

Well, after doing a little poking around, it appears there wasn't any time in recent history we had as few as seven teams in junior pairs. We did have nine a few times (in 2010, 2009, and 2002). But typically we do have at least twelve. I'm not sure why there are fewer this year.

Watching the junior ladies, and...sigh. Except for one or two skaters so far, most of them aren't trying anything more difficult than a triple salchow or triple toe, and only a handful can do those right.

skatingfan04

Final Flight
1 ladies spot ( must do the qualifying FS at JW )
2 dance spots ( both go straight to SD )
2 mens spots ( 1 direct entry to SP - lower ISU ranked skater must do qualifying )
3 pairs spots ( 2 direct to SP - the 3rd may have to do qualifying skate depending on how many entries )

Thank you.:biggrin:

Dance will be interesting. One would assume that Orford/Williams will be given a spot regardless of where they place in senior. They did win a JGP after all. I'm not sure if any other senior teams would be eligable. Likely whoever wins junior dance tomorrow will go.

As for pairs, Bobak & Beharry have a lock on the first spot. I suppose Purdy/Marinaro, Purich/Schultz and Steele/Schults all have a good chance at getting the other two. The rest of the junior podium could go as well.

As for women, who knows.

In men, I suppose they may send Rogozine if he doesn't qualify for senior worlds. I suppose Nam Nguyen and Liam Firus could be fighting it out for the other spot.

nadster

Final Flight
As for pairs, Bobak & Beharry have a lock on the first spot. I suppose Purdy/Marinaro, Purich/Schultz and Steele/Schults all have a good chance at getting the other two. The rest of the junior podium could go as well.

Steele/Schultz have split ( according to tracings.net ).

Purich/Schultz can't go to JW as Schultz is too old ( born April 25 1990 ) which would have made him 21 as of last July 1. 20 as of that date is the maximum age for men.

colleen o'neill

Medalist
:)Bravo to Edwards and Pang..I didn't see Poulin / Servant. G-r-r-r, I hope the livestream is less glitchy tomorrow...I must say I don't care for P/S's SD , but they must have skated it well, so good for them.

Just stricken for Bruser / Lum .. they were skating so well. Ah well, they have an very good FD, maybe they can pull up a bit.

There're lots of possibilities for shuffling about and a lot of nice FD's among those top 7 or 8.

skatingfan04

Final Flight
Poulin & Sevant just won it with a great FD!!:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: I'm SO happy for them! I hope this means they get to go to junior worlds. Their twizzles were a little off, but considering that they had gotten into the habit of falling on them, this was a giant step up. The rest of the program was lovely. They have a nice flow, a good connection with one another, and skate with more maturity than the other teams IMO. I believe they are among the oldest competitors here, so it makes sense. I think Marc-Andre might have been sick, though. He looked really winded and unsteady after they finished. I hope he's OK.

Edwards & Pang skated really well. Their FD has ceratinly grown on me over the season. I like their presentation a lot, and I think they'll have a great future down the line.

I'm really happy Bruiser & Lum were able to move up to third. Their FD is really excellent, although I'm still not sold on a couple of the lifts. I'm surprised by how well they seemed to "get" the tango style.

I thought Bent & Mackeen skated pretty well also, but their FD isn't my favourite. All in all last year's novice podium did pretty well for themselves here.

I liked the Hasegawa's FD better tonight than I have in the past, but their twizzles were off and something went wrong with the spin as well, I think. I was impressed by Victoria, though. She in particular was very elegant.

Paradis & Ouellette didn't thrill me. They have nice energy, but I found the program to be so-so.

I have to comment on Dalmer & Firus, even though I was so distracted by their music that I didn't pay much attention to their skating. I'm a huge Gershwin fan, so I was really annoyed. I don't think they could have found uglier versions of those two songs if they had tried.

Well, those are my two cents. What did you all think?

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I missed most of Poulin/Servant's FD so I thought he had made some horrible mistake and maybe was hurt from the way he behaved after the skate and the way everybody was all concerned and comforting. Then they got the highest score with no deduction and eventually won the competition. Watching the whole Edwards/Pang program I thought they would probably win. I really like this team.

katia

On the Ice
I watched them and was concerned when I saw his behaviour after the dance. Dance was great, but I worry that he might be injured.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Congrats to Mitchel Gordon for winning the Junior Men. That was an impressive performance. He has the Chan style while 3rd placed Joel Bond reminded me of Abbott, very nice skating but popped some jumps. I like the edges and speed of 15 year old Drew Wolf too, hope he will pick up more technical skills.

skatingfan04

Final Flight
Thankfully, Marc-Andre Servant seemed to be OK during that medal ceremony. He was all smiles, laughing and joking with the others. He and Andreanne looked absolutely thrilled.:biggrin:

Mitchell Gordon really put on a show.:biggrin: Amazing, to win juniors the year after winning novice. He's 15, right? You could tell he really left an impression on the crowd, too, because when he came out to get his medal, they cheered loud enough to be heard over the arena music. Considering how many people were in the arena, that's saying something. Hopefully, this will mean a junior worlds trip for him as well.

colleen o'neill

Medalist
Yes, I hope he'll be OK. They definitely have a more mature presentation ( but a little passionless) , and while I dislike their SD ,I like their FD very much. There are some beautiful touches in it.I wish her costume was a bit better connected to the music. It was pretty too naked at challenge .. so now , they added those drapey-strappy things at the back , which are not so naked but make her look a bit thick about the middle.

oops! got to fry some sausages ..I'll be back

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I watched Poulin/Servant video and didn't detect anything during the performance. He might be unwell and over exerted himself. They were quite good, with a bit of V/M crispness though they need more polish and improvements here and there.

skatingfan04

Final Flight
I watched Poulin/Servant video and didn't detect anything during the performance. He might be unwell and over exerted himself. They were quite good, with a bit of V/M crispness though they need more polish and improvements here and there.

The only thing that I saw during the skate was that they were a little slower than normal during some of the sections. I agree, I like their crispness, and I think they have a nice flow across the ice.

nadster

Final Flight
Thankfully, Marc-Andre Servant seemed to be OK during that medal ceremony. He was all smiles, laughing and joking with the others. He and Andreanne looked absolutely thrilled.:biggrin:

Mitchell Gordon really put on a show.:biggrin: Amazing, to win juniors the year after winning novice. He's 15, right? You could tell he really left an impression on the crowd, too, because when he came out to get his medal, they cheered loud enough to be heard over the arena music. Considering how many people were in the arena, that's saying something. Hopefully, this will mean a junior worlds trip for him as well.

I hardly think that Gordon will get a trip to JW this year. It will likely be Firus and Nam getting the slots. Rogozine may replace one of Firus or Nam should he fail to make the senior world team. I would expect 14 JGP slots ( countries 1 - 3 ) next year if Rogozine competes. IMO the Firus/Nam combo can get 7 slots ( countries 4-6). Gordon will be the next one on the list should injury occur.

Gordon likely will get 2 JGP slots next year unless he bombs his first assignment. I am reasonably sure Nam, O'Brien and Gordon will get the early slots as they have met SC standards. Summer competitions will determine who might get the other slots. BTW Firus will age out after JW.

twizzgirl

Rinkside
Congrats to Andréanne and Marc-André!!!!!!!! WELL DESERVED!The last couples of years they were struggling in competition, having a hard time with their nerves on the twizzles. So happy for them 2 clean programs! Too bad I couldn't watch their SD (problems with the streaming grrrr), I'm curious to know how was the SD with her new dress...

colleen o'neill

Medalist
I shouldn't post in a hurry...:rolleye: I meant to say, Andreanne's dress was pretty, but too naked at challenge, and now , I don't like the chiffony bits tacked on at the back ( but they're not ugly or anything ). I just don't think the dress reflects the flavour of the music.

Edwards and Pang did another great job with their very involving FD..I love this team , there's a bit of stardust on them .
Bruser and Lum ! ..that was a great come back ( just knew they could do it ) ..Both these teams have me totally won over. I love their connection to their music and while it's very easy to look at the girls, both guys really have that partner thing going for them..

mmcdermott

On the Ice
Are these performances archived online anywhere? I didn't catch the live streaming but I'd like to watch some of the top performances now ... or do we just hope they show up on YouTube at some point?

derplutz

Rinkside
Are these performances archived online anywhere? I didn't catch the live streaming but I'd like to watch some of the top performances now ... or do we just hope they show up on YouTube at some point?

they're all archived on ustream/skatebuzz/whatever i'm pretty sure