Caitlin Yankowskas is prepared but unpaired | Golden Skate

Caitlin Yankowskas is prepared but unpaired

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Since relocating to Michigan from Colorado six months ago, Caitlin Yankowskas is surprised how quickly she has settled in.

More

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
John Coughlin made a huge mistake IMO... he let a fantastic girl, go. I know Caydee was in limbo with her partner retiring, but to break up a really fantastic pair still baffles me.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
It was a grass is greener thing. I don't fault John for looking at his situation financially, but if he thinks Caydee won't jump ship if she thinks there's a chance at a better partner (again) then he's going to be very surprised...

wonder if Caitlyn would renew their partnership if the opportunity presented itself?

lavender

Record Breaker
I still don't get it. How does the grass look greener when it comes to Caydee. Caitlin was better and made John look good.

gold12345

Medalist
Caydee can handle more technical difficulty (although with more time, perhaps Caitlin could too). The throws don't come so naturally for Caitlin... She had just started to get comfortable with the throw triple loop last season... She was more comfortable doing the easier throw triple salchow in the short program... She only likes doing double axels in the very beginning of the program... Their lift levels were lower. Some of these things could improve with time, but we have no way of knowing that now. I just think Caydee is quite a bit more athletic than Caitlin. And because John's skating is far more athletic than artistic, I could see why he might want to work with Caydee instead.

From a technical standpoint, I completely understand John's move. Yes, the grass is rarely greener in pairs, and you can't get too greedy... And yes Y/C were coming off a season of such strong results. But John may have just felt that Caydee was too good a fit to pass up. Of course it's disappointing to see that skating partnerships are far more business than friendship, but as long as John's happy who are we to question his decision. I have a feeling Caitlin would be willing to skate with him again if he ever asked.

I really hope Caitlin can find a partner. She is a great skater, and she's clearly very determined. She may have better luck finding a partner after Nationals when teams frequently split.

Last edited by a moderator:

emma

Record Breaker
I miss Caitlin! I really hope she can find a partner. It is nice to know she is training and seems to feel comfortable where she is.

I didn't quite get the last sentence of the article - where she says she is diplomatic and waiting until the end of the season -- does that mean there's a guy out there she is waiting to snag?

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Please remember that GS is not the place for rumors, especially when they breach someone's privacy. :)

emma

Record Breaker
Please remember that GS is not the place for rumors, especially when they breach someone's privacy. :)

If that is directed at my question I do want to apologize and be clear I am not trying to spread rumors. I just didn't get the meaning of the last sentence and wondered what it meant.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
If that is directed at my question I do want to apologize and be clear I am not trying to spread rumors. I just didn't get the meaning of the last sentence and wondered what it meant.

nope, not at you... :)

icellist

On the Ice
i agree that i would enjoy Caitlin Yankowskas paired with Bryce Davison or Themistocles Leftheris. Bryce does have a US citizenship, but he's probably focusing on his coaching career now. But Themi has been mia in figure skating news lately.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Couglin dumping her for the sloppy Caydee Denney was a horrible choice IMO. Basically two truck drivers paired together, their max is probably 8th in the World or something. I hope the beautiful and lovely Caitlin finds a fitting partner soon, I am sure she can find a better one than John in fact.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Toni meant the grass is greener financially. In pairs skating it is the girl's parents who pay for the boy.

that AND she's the golden girl for the USFSA apparently... look at all the media attention their pairing got.

^ I do not have any inside information, but as I understand it, it is just supply and demand.

There are thousands of girls out there (and thousands more in ice dance) and only a few boys to go around.

Mystic

Rinkside
I dont think that is the case in most pair partnerships anymore. I know a number of make pair skaters at the upper Senior level whose partners do not pay for them.