Scott Moir says its a piss off | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Scott Moir says its a piss off

bellafurr

On the Ice
There not one of the greatest dance teams of all time. When you have to do running steps to catch up and then 10 bunny hops instead of edges its a joke.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
The days of soft spoken Canadian stars is a thing of the past. As much as I respect Virtue & Moir and Chan as skaters their arrogance and self righteous attitudes makes me miss the humility and class of our past greats like Kurt Browning, Elvis Stojko, Sale & Pelletier, Bourne & Kraatz, Elizabeth Manley, Jeffrey Buttle, which is sorely lacking in Canadians Champions of today. I think alot of that stems from the CSA and especialy their arrogant leader Michael Slipchuk who seems to be pushing this in your face, butch, almost bullying mentality. It was even strongly rumoured by many that in 2008 the retirements of a certain number of well known male skaters is they didnt want any non heterosexuals competing for Canada any longer. That said as I said in the other forum I do like that the two teams no longer so buddy-buddy with each other, and have some animosity and extra desire to beat one another makes the rivalry more enjoyable.

If Scott feels they deserved to win the FD it is a reasonable opinion. Not one I neccessarily agree with, and certainly dont think it justifies his reaction. However if he thinks they were robbed of winning the overall event with a fall in the OD, when the reigning World Champions had two excellent skates, then that is laugahble. Although still entertaining and fueling the flames of the rivalry which is enjoyable in a way as well as I said.

Last edited:

mmcdermott

On the Ice
The quote from Scott doesn't make it clear whether he's referring to the whole event of just the free dance.

I wonder if some of this is related to all the criticism Canadian athletes used to get, particularly leading up to Vancouver, about being too complacent and happy with 2nd place or 4th place results. A lot of athletes would come out of events saying "We did our best", or "We're really happy with being 5th (or whatever)". The COC was encouraging athletes to put up more of a fight and don't accept 2nd, or 4th or whatever. I wonder if we would even have athletes like Tessa & Scott and Patrick Chan if they hadn't gone through that. Those athletes really want to be the best, and that's not normal for us :) Skate Canada had a lot of angst too after 2004 Worlds when they didn't win a medal, but that's a bit of a tangent ...

Anyway, in that context it's nice to see them put up a fight. I'm glad to hear that they really want to go for it.

Now, I'd really like to know what W/P are thinking because I think they got the bigger shaft.

NorthernDancers

On the Ice
And because of that, I find it very strange that he says, they laid down "a good enough skate to win". He really thinks their FD should've been 5 points better than D/W, enough to win, when D/W didn't make any mistakes?

Not cool, not classy, Mr. Moir. And I actually thought Weaver/Poje had the best artistic performance of the night...

I don't think he meant the whole competition. I think he meant the FD, and the PCS scores very specifically. And he's right on that front.

And to add to this..... This will obviously make them hungry for more, and I'm sure they will go back to the drawing board and examine this program piece by piece to mine every single point possible. I think the PCS marks were wrong, but they will look at how to make what they do even more obvious for the judges who clearly weren't paying attention or "getting" the program. A program does not have to be epic or grand in order to be amazing. It's the incredible subtleties, all the little details, that make this program so incredibly unique and just plain amazing. The looks between them and the audience, the lines, the edges, the little connections, the facial expressions, the speed, the articulation of the body with the music. It is unmatched and unparalleled with any other team in the world.

Last edited:

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
I enjoyed D/Ws FD more than V/Ms. I had no problem with their marginally higher PCS. Quite frankly both V/M and D/W are regularly well overmarked in PCS relative to the field and should be thankful for the scores they get. They are the two best, but not by as much as the scores indicate. If anything I was baffled that V/M had the higher technical scores when they were shaky in a couple points.

blackswanphoto

On the Ice
The quote from Scott doesn't make it clear whether he's referring to the whole event of just the free dance.

I wonder if some of this is related to all the criticism Canadian athletes used to get, particularly leading up to Vancouver, about being too complacent and happy with 2nd place or 4th place results. A lot of athletes would come out of events saying "We did our best", or "We're really happy with being 5th (or whatever)". The COC was encouraging athletes to put up more of a fight and don't accept 2nd, or 4th or whatever. I wonder if we would even have athletes like Tessa & Scott and Patrick Chan if they hadn't gone through that. Those athletes really want to be the best, and that's not normal for us :) Skate Canada had a lot of angst too after 2004 Worlds when they didn't win a medal, but that's a bit of a tangent ...

Anyway, in that context it's nice to see them put up a fight. I'm glad to hear that they really want to go for it.

Now, I'd really like to know what W/P are thinking because I think they got the bigger shaft.

I really like W/P, specifically Poje but Weaver is a bit "hard". I don't know just something about her seems very unfinished, unpolished and raw.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
:rolleye: What a disingenuous response on your part. You know that Tessa's comment that you quoted is not what is being seen as "classless and disappointing." Scott's comments most certainly are.

Scott talked of their disappointment of being beaten and Tessa talked of their remedial strategy to try to win again. Like all champions, they are extremely competitive. Tessa even skated in great pain to win the Olympics. Of course they are disappointed to lose, for all the reasons stated - they had hoped for a new tiltle in their own country in the first full season of training without pain. But their plan to study the protocol and make necessary changes to their programs shows they are looking at themselves instead of blaming or trashing the winners.

All champions are pissed when they lose, like Plushenko and even humble Takahashi. That's why they are champions. Then don't like to lose and they get motivated when they do. They just express their feelings differently, some more diplomatically than others. Honesty doesn't make them classless. Trashing the winners would. But I don't see Tessa and Scott doing it here.

The elite skaters, even if they don't train together like V/M and D/W, are often friends simply because they see each other often as competitors at major events. They know they are rivals and they stay competitive but they are capable of friendships with each other. I see such friendships often even though fans are fighting wars for them.

It doesn't have to be Tessa and Scott for me to jump in here. I'm aware of controversies about them but have stayed out on purpose. This thread with the attention grabbing title is based on the linked article from which come all these negative interpretations and gleeful condemnation. So I read the article and did not find words and attitude most posts here attribute to them or just Scott.

Champions are often somewhat cocky. What's new and what's wrong with that?

You don't believe it for a second, do you? LOL.

Actually, I do.

Do you expect Davis and White to come out with a retaliatory rant about how much better they are than Virtue and Moir and how pissed off they are to beat such an inferior team by only a few hundredths of a point?

Last edited:

blackswanphoto

On the Ice
Actually, I do.

Do you expect Davis and White them to come out with a retaliatory rant about how much better they are than Virtue and Moir and how pissed off they are to beat such an inferior team by only a few hundredths of a point?
I could kinda read Meryl's face after that Free dance in the kiss and cry when the scores came up. It looked like she was thinking "Only .05? that's some B.S."
It was a bit hilarious.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
The days of soft spoken Canadian stars is a thing of the past. As much as I respect Virtue & Moir and Chan as skaters their arrogance and self righteous attitudes makes me miss the humility and class of our past greats like Kurt Browning, Elvis Stojko, Sale & Pelletier, Bourne & Kraatz, Elizabeth Manley, Jeffrey Buttle, which is sorely lacking in Canadians Champions of today.

Sorry, but how often did Stojko complain about 1994? Or B/K in general about the evil Russians (even by 2010, it was clear that Kraatz still nursed that chip).

re: W/P - given that Andrew did put his foot down on the last lift that lost them a level and dropped them below 100, I think they're focusing on what they can do to improve. They seemed happy to be higher than before.

Rachmaninoff

Final Flight
I don't think he meant the whole competition. I think he meant the FD, and the PCS scores very specifically. And he's right on that front.

Agreed. I did get the impression that he'd gone into the free hoping they could skate brilliantly enough to take over first place...but it was the free specifically that he thought he should have won.

I'm not holding this against them. It must be tough for any skater to really go out and skate your heart out and still not get the results you were expecting. It sounded like he was frustrated and ran off at the mouth a bit in that state. And I do think they could have been first in the free, although both dances were terrific. If someone complains about the judging and is completely delusional about their abilities relative to the other skaters, that's when I usually go :rolleye:, but if it looks like they might have an arguable point, then fine by me.