What a refreshing board!!! | Golden Skate

What a refreshing board!!!

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
This is my first post here and I hope I'm putting it in an appropriate place. I've been a figure skating fan since I was a kid (MANY years ago LOL) but never a skater. I just have tremendous respect for all of the skaters and the hard work it takes over years to create such beauty on ice.

I am SO GLAD to have found this board!! I've read many posts this morning and am thrilled to see how respectful everyone is even when opinions might differ.

I can't wait to watch the GP finals on TV this weekend. I love it when skaters put together great performances - I guess I'm a sucker for upset victories!! I hope that all of the top skaters "pull it together" for Nationals and Worlds. I'd love to see great head to head competition with everyone skating clean. That's my dream competition as a fan.

I'm reading the COP threads with interest. I agree with many of you that anonymous judging is still a huge problem - I hope that part goes out the window. I'm glad to see a more detailed scoring system that if implemented properly, allows for judging of specific technical and presentation elements. I think the skaters deserve to be evaluated in a more complete way than the old system allowed for. I also think the scoring system encourages more complete skating - i.e. we're seeing the difficulty (and subsequently the excitement) of things like spins and spirals going up. It's nice to see something other than jumps being rewarded.

I hope the ISU cleans up the judging debacle. I hope under COP that at minimum it's more difficult for judges to cheat just based on a more complex scoring system. (sad)

Thanks for listening to my ramble here - I really look forward to getting to know all of you better, and to participating in a skating board that seems "sane."

Doggygirl

JOHIO2

Medalist
Hi doggygirl,

Don't know if the powers-that-be, also known as moderators, agree, but I think your post is OK here.]

Glad to hear new people enjoying themselves here. Welcome!

Have you checked out Le Cafe? Are you a skater (or ex)? New fan? Old fan? Hey, start a Cafe thread for yourself and other newbies to introduce themselves.

Happy Holidays and Happy watching fs on tv.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Welcome!!

and to participating in a skating board that seems "sane
Let's just say that most of us are. Yes, Doggygirl it is a very, very good board and our mother, Paula, only has to reprimand us a few times a year. Behind her back, we call her Mommie Dearest.:laugh: :laugh:

Dee

GoldenLady

On the Ice
Hi Doggygirl - welcome to Golden Skate!! I for one would love to hear about your four dogs; I have two beautiful Golden Retrievers who are my pride and joy, and the inspiration behind my username. :)

Doggygirl - Welcome to the Golden Skate Forum which has members from all over the world. We are an international group.

Joesitz

Johar

Medalist
Welcome aboard, Doggygirl! I'm also a newbie, joining a few days ago after someone at a soap board told me about this place

It's addictive!:)

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Doggygirl:

Welcome to GS. Most of us have been lurking here for quite sometime. I am a former skater, but now I am just an "armchair" expert and devoted fan. I found your post quite refreshing. I plan to watch the GP finals this weekend too. Of course, I am thrilled to bits for Emanuel Sandhu as he hails from my corner of the world - Vancouver, BC.

Happy watching this weekend and look forward to your thoughts.

KwanFan1212

Joey Votto Fangirl
Final Flight
Welcome to the board!!! I hope that you stay and also that you enjoy many of the topics and discussions here! We are a lively group here! LOL :D

sk8tngcanuck

On the Ice
welcome aboard! Stay long and enjoy with us! ----- It just starts to get exciting now with 4cc, euros, nationals and worlds around the corner.

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Thanks for the big welcome!!

I look forward to sharing information, opinions etc. as the skating season moves into high gear! You guys are great.

GoldenLady, nice to meet a fellow dog crazed person! I will start a thread in the cafe so all of us dog lovers can gush over our 4-legged children.

DG

rain

Record Breaker
Welcome to the board! We are generally a respectful lot here - one of the things I appreciate most about the board as well. Who are some of your favs?

I agree about COP. It has shown a lot of potential throughout the season, and I really like the encouragement of well-rounded programs. Jumping contests do nothing for me. But that pesky anonymous judging is still worrying.

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Let me add my welcome too, DG........we're a fun lot, hope you enjoy it here!!! 42

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Hi Rain!

Thanks for the welcome!

It is SO hard for me to name favorites. Of course I enjoy all the top skaters that everyone else does, but really don't claim to love any one more than any other.

I guess the excitement for me is watching truly inspired performances. From what we've all heard, this weekend's TV viewing should be great for that!

I also love seeing up and coming skaters "pushing" the top skaters to continually improve. I've always enjoyed watching Michelle over the years (how can you not enjoy that) but I'm glad she's upping her own technical ante with her new coach. If it works and she gets herself to a whole new level, that will be something to see. I love watching Sasha too, and hope she can get her mental game in order and also her scheduling plan in order. And I love others - Elena L, Arakawa, Fumie, etc.

I was glad to hear that Plushy got beat - not because I don't enjoy watching him skate, but he is incredibly talented and I think he can become even more exciting if he has a reason to push himself.

It's exciting to see the wonderful Chinese pairs challenging the Russian dominance. Now if the US and other countries could start producing some meaningful challengers....

I'm sad to say that ice dancing has sort of left me cold for the last several years. I think part of that was the excessively rediculous cr@ppy judging - rarely any placement surprises regardless of the performance on the day. I hope that will change with COP, but I'm still having trouble getting my interest level up.

Of course these are just my own opinions. LOL I almost cringe when I see the question "who is your fav" based on what I've seen in response to that elsewhere on the net. :)

Later..

DG

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Welcome doggygirl!! The only problem I have with this board is that there are not enough ice dancing fans on it.

However, COP has already proved to be very, very good for ice dancing. Teams are actually getting recognized for being better or worse in different parts of the competition. Placings change! You can't predict who will win anymore! It's wonderful.

There are still some things to be done getting the point system worked out, but so far, I am so thrilled with the excitement of ice dance this year.

dpp